New from Noveske: A Hammer

Hammer, courtesy Noveske

There’s a reason I absolutely love Noveske. Like AAC and other companies steeped in awesomeness, their corporate culture is…different. Quirky. The opposite of the stereotypical straight-laced gun company. Definitely not a Smith. That was made pretty clear with the release of a video they put out about their late founder after his untimely death. And now they’ve gone above and beyond to make a point about gun control by selling hammers . . .

From their website:

FBI crime statistics show that more people are killed with hammers each year than by rifles.

Worried about a ban? – Buy a hammer. The perfect alternative means of protection.

— 16OZ BAMBOO HANDLE HAMMER
— CURVED CLAW TYPE
— HEAT TREATED & DOUBLE TEMPERED FOR DURABILITY

Yes, these are actually for sale. Well, WERE for sale. Just like everything else, they have sold out and are now out of stock. But if they were still available, you’d bet your ass I’d pay $40 for a Noveske hammer. I wonder if, like their barrels, its “cold hammer forged?” . . .

comments

1. avatar blinkypete says:

Pure awesomeness. Somehow I missed that video when you originally posted it. Having watched it, I’m sure it made John smile somewhere far off.

2. avatar kb says:

Would anyone like to wager on what type of room this decision was made in (board, bar, bath)?

It’s pretty clear that this is a company run by good old regular folks like you and I.

3. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

Straight clawed hammers are actually much deadlier.

1. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

You can also grasp the hammer head between your middle and ring fingers and whip your assailant with the handle for a less than lethal means of defense.

1. avatar Aharon says:

TTAG should sell a straight claw hammer with TTAG on the handle.

2. avatar S.CROCK says:

i think those are already banned.

1. avatar William says:

Replaced by the still-deadly rubber mallet.

4. avatar Tom jones says:

What about building a automatic hammer launcher.

5. avatar Stacy says:

The term is actually “straitlaced”, as in a prim and proper Victorian society lady wrapped up tight in her laced bodice and ready to punish any breach of polite behavior. Strait is an archaic word for “tight” (so a person in dire straits is in a tight spot, etc)

Not meaning to be a grammar nazi — the history of expressions like that is pretty interesting, and there are a lot of them that come from firearms and warfare, like “face the music” (turn toward the sound of battle) or “flash in the pan” (when the priming charge in your matchlock or flintlock musket burns slow without setting off the main charge).

1. avatar Rokurota says:

That’s not being a grammar nazi, but a spelling/vocabulary nazi.

2. avatar RKflorida says:

Strait is used commonly today. For example, the Straits of Gibraltar.

1. avatar Av8rtx says:

Strait and straight are two different words with different meanings, a strait is a narrow waterway connecting two larger waterways.

6. avatar Karl says:

I will take a tactical version with strait claw, titanium head, and black composite handle before it’s outlawed.

1. avatar William says:

It’s composite peeners for me, or no hammer at all.

2. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

You forgot rails for a sight, a light, and a laser..

7. avatar Javier says:

A common sense company with a GREAT sense of humor. Love it.

8. avatar Rab says:

Not that I don’t appreciate it, but what point was made by the nudity in the vid?

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I didn’t see any nudity.

9. avatar M.Ia says:

I was so excited until I saw they were sold out. Now I’m sad 🙁

I was going to open carry it

1. avatar Anon in CT says:

On an Assault Tool Belt capable of holding more than 7 tools?

1. avatar Adam says:

As long as it doesn’t have a fold-away claw or a peg board lug.

10. avatar Paul W says:

Can I get a high capacity hammer? Maybe with laser sights and a forward grip?

1. avatar C says:

they might put a rail on it for you.

11. avatar DrewR55 says:

Where do I mount the high cap box of nails? And can I get one with a 1913 rail on top so I can mount a red dot to make sure I always hit the nail on the head instead of crushing my thumb?

It’s not an evil assault tool it is a home defen- home improvement tool.

12. avatar brcSVO says:

Those guys at Noveske have a great sense of humor.

Unfortunately, things like labeling hammers as “offensive weapons” might not be too far off. I lived and worked in the UK for a good bit of the last 5 years and I have seen how far down the slippery slope governments can go once they start going. Its a weird feeling knowing that your pocket knife, with a locking blade, is technically an “offensive weapon” and illegal for every day carry.

13. avatar Will says:

What? No rails? Where aim I gonn but my foregrip and light? I’ll wait for the tactical version.

14. avatar SGC says:

Wait…where is the shoulder thingy that pops up? And really, this should come in a black “tactical” model too…

1. avatar Mark says:

The black tactical model with finger grooves and a pommel should be next.

1. avatar Ropingdown says:

Digital camo version. They’ll never see it coming.

2. avatar Jumbie says:

The black paint makes it deadlier. The Noveske guys need to get on it quick.

15. avatar One If By Land says:

Should have been a black, 150z hammer….
    They could have named it the “SC-15” (straight claw 15oz) – AND they should put a handle shroud (you know, that shoulder thing that goes up) on it

16. avatar APBTFan says:

The NY model has the claws removed and the diameter of the head cannot exceed 3/4″.

1. avatar In Memphis says:

I assume it weighs somewhere around 11lbs?

2. avatar SGC says:

The NY model would be made of nerf rubber and require registration and licensing and safety training before you could have it….

17. avatar I_Like_Pie says:

I have a hammer made by Ruger that is actually made from titanium.

No kidding.

18. avatar g says:

More hammer-forged… HAMMERS!

LOLz.

Glad that Noveske is carrying on without their founder. I’ll definitely be considering some of their stuff whenever I finally get around to building an AR!

19. avatar Upstater says:

I’m just an old fud, can I get one with a blue steel head and a walnut handle? Maybe something that can only hit two nails in a row?

1. avatar Ropingdown says:

You’re a hunter, eh? “No need for hammers designed for the battlefield!”

20. avatar Ted says:

Paint it black and call it an “Assault Hammer”.

1. avatar I_Like_Pie says:

Sell it for 2X normal cost too.

Don’t forget the zombie hammer.

21. avatar TheSleeperHasAwakened says:

I love it…John is giving the Guv’ment the finger from the grave!

22. avatar Matt in FL says:

I would buy a Noveske hammer with their emblem etched in the head. Why not?

The realist in me says that it was probably never for sale. It was a one off and they set the flag to “Temporarily Out of Stock” the moment they put it up.

But it’s fun just the same.

1. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Nope. It was definitely for sale. They announced it on Facebook and it was available at the time I clicked on the link.

23. avatar Pigmy712 says:

Much like rifles, all blunt instruments (the FBI report is all inclusive) are equally lethal used properly. However, it is my opinion that the claw hammer is the “assault rifle” of hammers and other blunt instruments. It is mean looking compared to pipe, boards and other hammers. It has an attachment for pulling nails and prying up boards and is often worn on the hip for quick access. The claw hammer should be banned.

24. avatar Carrymagnum says:

“If you’re going to murder someone, please use our hammer. Do not, I REPEAT DO NOT, use our ARs.”

25. avatar Pulatso says:

I need a plinking hammer, something to use to teach my neice how to hammer. Preferably with some pink furniture.

1. avatar Ing says:

They already make those — check out your local scrapbooking store or the crafting session at Michaels. Little bitty 6 oz. hammers with pink grips and all.

26. avatar In Memphis says:

This is an awesome novelty. Ill deffinatley buy one if they become available again, “Temporarily Out of Stock” :'(

Didnt the dad in Gremlins make a fully automatic hammer?

I checked with my local Home Depot. Hammer prices are up 50% and they’re all out of nails.

1. avatar SGC says:

They said someone came in and bought them all to resell at ridiculous prices, you should check hammerbroker.com

28. avatar LongPurple says:

Maybe the first model should be named the “Tokyo”.
    Yoshio Kiuchi woke up in gun-free Tokyo one morning and started his day by killing his wife, son, daughter-in-law, and 4-year-old grand-daughter, using a hammer.

29. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

If y’all want to see what an “assault hammer” looks like, check out a “California framing hammer.” Straight(er) claw, longer handle, ergonomic curves, checkered face… it’s a high-speed/low-drag hammer.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I’ve never heard it called a “California” framing hammer, but I’ll tell you… 16 oz. doesn’t sound like much, but my crash course in using it one long-ago summer about killed me the first few days. We were building stud walls, and after the first few days of misery, it wasn’t long before I was wielding that thing like a surgeon, driving 16D nails flush with one hit. It’s still a pretty awesome skill when you show it to someone who’s never spent any time around a construction site.

30. avatar 2ndRight says:

I love the sentiment, however the facts are not correct. No FBI statistics suggest more people are killed with hammers or bats than guns. That is because it isn’t true.

1. avatar LongPurple says:

From the post, quoting the Noveske website:

“FBI crime statistics show that more people are killed with hammers each year than by RIFLES.” (EMPHASIS added)

Reference Table 20 on the FBI Crime Statistics resource site. No totals, but you can do your own addition for national figures, or just see where your own state stands for murders by rifle, shotgun, knife, etc.

31. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

Dae-su approves this message.