MD Governor Exploits Hunter Database Info to Push Gun Control

The state of Maryland has a database of hunters they’ve collected when they purchased hunting permits. But when those hunters wrote down their email addresses, I’m sure the last thing they expected was that Governor Martin O’Malley would use the info to promote his gun control agenda . . .

The following email, transparently designed to divide and conquer the gun rights community, claims that the “assault weapons” ban and other civilian disarmament proposals O’Malley wants to implement will not impact hunters, so they shouldn’t really care about it. Here’s the email, apparently sent to everyone on the state’s database:

JUNIOR WATERFOWL HUNTING DAY AND PROTECTING TRADITIONS‏
Governor Martin O’Malley
governor@dnr.state.md.us

February 7, 2013

Dear Friend,

I wanted to make sure you are aware of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources’ latest Junior Waterfowl Hunting Day, which takes place this Saturday, February 9. Junior Hunting Days provide wonderful opportunities for young hunters and their adult mentors to get outside and enjoy the proud tradition of hunting in Maryland.

Hunting is a part of our history and is woven into the fabric of our State’s culture. We appreciate everything you and all other conservation-minded hunters do for Maryland.

I also want to take this opportunity to address you directly about the proposal we recently introduced to reduce gun violence. Our goal is to enact common sense proposals to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals, and to try to reduce the risk of a mass shooting like the one that occurred in Newtown.

Let me be clear: We are committed to protecting hunters and their traditions. That’s why we specifically carved out shotguns and rifles from the licensing requirements of our bill.

This bill will NOT impact your ability to introduce a young hunter to the sport and the conservation stewardship ethic borne of that experience.

Good luck on Saturday and I look forward to hearing your stories from the field.

Sincerely,
Martin O’Malley
Governor

Right. Doesn’t want to take away my hunting rifle. When the entire point of the bill is to take away my hunting rifle (pictured at the top).

And how is this not impacting my “ability to introduce a young hunter to the sport and the conservation stewardship ethic borne of that experience” when he wants it to be illegal for anyone under 21 to posses ammunition?

Lies, lies and more lies, delivered using state resources and Marylanders’ tax dollars.

About Nick Leghorn

54 Responses to MD Governor Exploits Hunter Database Info to Push Gun Control

1. avatarMike S says:

And the b*st*rds wonder why we have objections to registration.

• avatarSoccerchainsaw says:

+1 Exactly right.

Citizen disarmament is the goal. Their strategy is to divide and conquer by enacting incremental bans and restrictions. Stand firm and united.

2. avatarJames W says:

Glad I left and came to VA last year.

3. avatarDaniel Silverman says:

Nick when we find out about these things can we come up with email letters to reply back? Maybe have a special section under TTAG for this stuff. It makes it a lot easier to turn around get the word out and start pushing back.

• avatarDave says:

It would be really nice to have an easy to find (and search) area here for responses to these types of letters, and the more common gun control arguments being tossed around (so we can rebute them).

the current system doesnt seem to be working well for me – I can go to the gun control tag, but there are a lot of posts there and it’s difficult to find the rebuttals I am looking for in a timely manner.
      May just be me though.

4. avatarAccur81 says:

Aren’t you familiar with the government? The worst thing that you can do is to be involved in a lie or scandal as an individual. Rather, join a GROUP that lies. That way, you can cover each others’ lies and scandals.

• avatarDon says:

with more lies and scandals!

• avataranonymous says:

> Rather, join a GROUP that lies. That way, you can cover
      > each others’ lies and scandals.

Not just government.

It works for private corporations, too!

Cue the outrage and rationalizations from corporatists in 3, 2, 1….

• avatarRalph says:

WTF is a corporatist?

• avatarAharon says:

I’ve read that corporatism is much like if not identical to fascism with big government and big business closely allied together.

• avatarNot Anon in CT For Long says:

It works best for corporations when they are thoroughly in bed with government.

• avatarpat says:

But the corporatists are not trying to take your firearms/freedoms away. They cant make you sniff Zyklon-B like ‘Big Gov’ can. Wise up. Libtards are ALWAYS worse.
        The state is the boot kicking a human face forever and is in the tank with bad corps anyway.

5. avatartdiinva says:

All the hunters I know aren’t buying it. I am sure there are a few who have their head in the sand but as far as I can see most of us know that they will come after our sniper rifles next.

6. avatarBuell301 says:

He thinks he’s going to divide us, he’s wrong. Sorry King Owe’Malley, ain’t gonna work. We showed you that on Wednesday, didn’t we.

The Free State shall remain free, and our gun owners will be undivided.

See thread regarding this letter here http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=105421

And if you are from Maryland, a surrounding state or heck anyone please don’t hesitate to sign up to MDshooters.com We’re on the front lines here!

• avatar40&2000 says:

Wednesday was great. A VERY good showing but it still wasn’t a ton of the hunting crowd. I agree that MDshooters is fantastic and deserve a $hit ton of credit for the turn out but joe average deer hunter isn’t logging on there. Maryland has a lot of work to do getting the word out to “FUDDS”.

7. avatarDon says:

The only good argument against registration is that registration databases could be exploited for other purposes and misused. The only good counterargument to that argument is that “someone would never (ever) exploit a registration database for other purposes”. That counterargument is disproved by this exploitation and misuse of the MD hunter database.

8. avatarJames1000 says:

I am growing oh so tired of hearing, “common sense approach.”

• avatarCasey T says:

If politicians had actual common sense, we’d have a better economy, lower taxes, and would be generally happier as a country. Politicians have zero common sense.

• avatarPaul W says:

We all have common sense. Is mine the same as yours?

• avatartama paine says:

The only “common sense” worth considering, and you can bet this isn’t what politicians are talking about:

• avatarSammy says:

Dem speak:
      “common sense approach.”= Do it our way or you are stupid.

• avatarMatt in FL says:

I often wonder if “common sense” is on a list of recommended phrases that they hand out when you join their crusade, or if all these people adopt it themselves. I wonder if they know how much scorn and derision is heaped on that term by most anyone capable of independent thought. (And that is not limited to the pro-gun side. I know people who are staunchly anti-gun who hate that phrase.) If I was to switch sides today, I can guarantee you’d never hear those words pass my lips.

• avatarLiberty2Alpha says:

Imotep. Imotep. Imotep.

“This is what Democracy looks like!”

“Hey, ho, (something we hate) has got to go.”

Add those to the list.

• avatarTexanHawk says:

LOL!

I’ve had the TexanHawk axioms of human nature for years:
      1. Common sense is when you did exactly like I would have done.
      2. A good sense of humor is when you laugh at my jokes.
      3. Intelligent people agree with me. Only idiots argue with me.
      4. Important information is everything I know that you don’t.
      5. Trivia is any information you know that I don’t.
      6. Reasonable is when you agree with me (see rule 3).
      7. If I wanted you to disagree with me, I wouldn’t have asked your opinion (see rule 3).

9. avatarLance says:

(Cough) Bulcrap (Cough) Bullcrap (Cough) Bullcrap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O’mally is full of it too.

10. avatarDisThunder says:

I think the abomination that is the CA gun grab laws has done a great deal to convince the few hunters I know who weren’t concerned off of the sidelines. Even in a culture as individualist as ours tends to appear, people have a hard time believing they’re on the “wrong” side of this kind of roasting. But when you’ve just been told that any magazine you own over 10 rounds gives you instant felon status, people start realizing just what “I support the 2nd Amendment but…” actually means.

11. avatarEd Leary says:

A Hunter’s Lament

With apologies to Martin Niemöller

In Maryland they came first for the “assault weapons”, and I didn’t speak up because I didn’t own one.
    Then they came for the “high capacity magazines”, and I didn’t speak up because I didn’t need them.
    Then they required a “license and insurance”, and I didn’t speak up because I believed that firearm ownership was like owning a car.
    Then they required “registration”, and I didn’t speak up because my rifle had been ‘grandfathered in’, so I registered it.
    Then they came for my rifle, but by that time no one was left to speak up.

• avatarscottlac says:

Then (after some future incident) they called my scoped, bolt action, hunting rifle a “sniper rifle” and there were no gun rights people left alive and out of prison to help me keep it.

12. avatarGeorge says:

And when the “Assault Weapons (sic)” are banned, then those nasty “Sniper Rifles” need to go, too.

• avatarBuell301 says:

Remington 700s will be banned with those dangerous assault bolts!

• avatarNot Anon in CT For Long says:

When those EBRs are gone, then I’ll be pretty much out of the shooting game and y’all are on your own.

• avatarpat says:

The powerful bolt guns are far more deadly against officials because they would be the tools used in assassination due to their range and accuracy.

13. avatarCliff says:

I said it before and I’ll say it again, How exactly are these licensing requirements and/or fees on permits or ammunition any different from a poll tax on voters which has been specifically determined to be a violation of civil rights and therefore unconstitutional? Why are we spinning our wheels and tilting at all these windmills when SCOTUS has already ruled on this issue? No State or other jurisdiction can impose a tax or fee on any person before that person can exercise their rights as outlined in the constitution. It’s that simple.
    If you allow any government agency to set the standards that determine when and if you can exercise a right then it is not your natural, inalienable right, it is a privilege granted by the government according to their whims.

• avatar40@2000 says:

That point was made several times in Annapolis this week. Didn’t make a lick of difference. They don’t care.

14. avatarJMS says:

Yes for all of those people who think a “registry” is the realm of the tin foil hat wearers among us, here’s yet another example of a database that the gov’t clearly keeps track of. Obviously everybody with a hunting license is a known gun owner and the State has full contact info for them (name, driver’s license, address, phone/e-mail… everything you have to put down to get your license). This information isn’t even protected to the degree where the Governor can’t get a full list just for his own marketing purposes.

15. avatarBuell301 says:

They will not divide us in the Free State. Us Marylander’s that keep .22, AR15s, 870s or the like will not be divided from our hunting bretheren. O’Malley knows he needs to divide us as a community and that is exactly what he is trying to do. Bad news for him as it won’t work. I ask my fellow Marylanders to register and get involved on MDShooters.com, Maryland’s gun-owners forum. We have been the focal point for organizing against a legislature and Governor intent on destroying our rights in his quest to become President. Also please join Maryland Shall Issue who is fighting for our CCW rights here in Maryland.

16. avatarCliff Northern says:

Thank God i left Laurel,Md . 22yrs ago and came to Virginia and nevered looked back!!

17. avatarsdog says:

what garbage, but typical of our teflon leprechaun in the free state,he loves the divide and conquer move.

18. avatarniceguns says:

Well all I can say is I hope this doesn’t get out of hand and paid assassins are not used again like the tyranny Administration did in Newtown. Boy I hope not, I really hope not.stay calm all is well!

19. avatarAharon says:

I think that most hunters are seeing and reading the writing on the wall.

20. avatarST says:

That crap might have flown last year, before NYS ramrodded the SAFE act. Once that happened, even non-political gun owners had to give pause.

Thanks to Cuomo, the Fudds are hearing us “extremists” with a new ear.

21. avatarpat says:

What hunter would be stupid and nieve enough to swallow this divide and conquer libtard garbage anyway? The leftists are quite evil and insane. They must be destroyed.