Listen: TTAG Contributor Rob Pincus on NPR’s Talk of the Nation

Every time I hear Neil Conan, I can’t help think how much he sounds like TTAG’s head honcho RF. But if you don’t want to listen, click here for the transcript (darn copyright notice…).

comments

1. avatar g says:

Listening to it on the web right now. Great stuff, and Mr. Pincus represented the community quite well!

2. avatar DonS says:

Also listening now (only 6 minutes in)…

“You don’t want to extrapolate from any one incident”.

+google-plex

1. avatar DonS says:

Crap. As a math-oriented person, I should be able to spell “googolplex”.

1. avatar Gyufygy says:

Google has ruined googol. I had to look it up a few days ago.

2. avatar Mikeb302000 says:

I just listened to that part. That was the guy who first said he would have shot the guy then told us the gun was not loaded.

3. avatar S.CROCK says:

im not so sure i believe the karate story. but lets just assume it is true. its a great story.

1. avatar Narcoossee says:

The only purpose of martial arts is to hurt people; they should be banned. Think of the CHILDREN! Why doesn’t anyone care about THE CHILDREN?

ROFLMAO.

2. avatar Evan says:

Yeah, and the “clicking” noise because the safety was on? I don’t have any guns that do that. You just cant pull the trigger its pretty silent. I call BS on that first caller. I also have my doubts about his claim that he uses an “assault rifle” for home defense. An MSR maybe, but what real gun owner calls their AR-15 or whatever an “assault rifle.” and if it really was a real assault rifle. That’s some serious(expensive) hardware for not being able to move out of the bad part of town.

1. avatar C says:

The antagonist was probably tweaking his balls off. If there’s any play in the trigger, it’ll click if you try hard enough.

1. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Even if some parts of the “assault rifle” story were cringeworthy, and others embellished, I count it as a win because only gun folk would notice any of that.

Think about it: this guy called into NPR with a legit-sounding DGU involving an “assault rifle” and he was treated with respect and thanked for sharing. That’s a serious fracking win right there!

4. avatar FrankM says:

It’s certainly an interesting story but it’s bugging me that he’s saying “assault rifle” and then talks about “warning shots”.

1. avatar daveR says:

Yeah. To me, he fits into the mold of someone who doesn’t “get” what defensive gun use means. Warning shots are definitely NOT part of the procedure.

5. avatar daveR says:

A good 30 minute listen! Rob made a fine representation.

6. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Ugh. Another embed that doesn’t work on iOS. I was really hoping to listen to this on the way home.

Anyone know if there’s an NPR app that would let me stream this while I drive?

EDIT: Never mind — there IS an actual NPR app, and it has a working search function, and I will be able to listen to this on the drive home. Win.

7. avatar Tim says:

We need more Rob Pincuses in the world and speaking for the NRA.

8. avatar TRUTHY says:

So Faux News is against guns (because Murdick is) and NPR is not??? Amazing.

9. avatar Rob Pincus says:

I appreciate the support!

Here are my Thoughts on why it is important to “Cross the Lines” to do shows like this:

-RJP

1. avatar AlphaGeek says:

I thought you did a great job of delivering a consistent, authentic message, Rob. I really liked that you emphasized how responsible use of force differentiates “can” from “should” as that’s sometimes lost in these discussions.

I hadn’t realized you are based in Bexley — my sister and her family live there. Small world.

10. avatar Don says:

Awesome Rob! Looking good on NPR like that you will reach a lot of thoughtful people who may not know much about guns and give them a view of reality in this debate. Excellent!