Going Too Far: Mayors Dropping From MAIG

Just about everything about the Mayors Against Illegal Guns organization is designed to be deceive. The name would have you believe that the organization is only opposed to illegal guns. But based on their statements and recently-produced propaganda, it’s clear they believe all guns are illegal — or should be — even when owned by law-abiding citizens. Their recent “poll” shows more bias and distortion than spending an hour in the waiting room of an L.A. plastic surgeon. But it looks like some of the MAIG mayors are finally catching on, and distancing themselves from the Bloomberg-created gun control monster it’s become. Make the jump for a letter sent by Rancho Cucamonga, CA Mayor Dennis Michael asking to have his name scrubbed from MAIG’s rolls . . .

Dear Mr. Levinson,

This is a formal request to immediately remove my name, and the city of Rancho Cucamonga, from any and all future correspondence, advertisement  petitions or lists of cities, and mayors, who support the Mayors Against Illegal guns movement. On behalf of the City, I originally signed on in 2011 because of concerns about criminals who possess, use and traffic in illegal guns. Since that time, however, and particularly with the recent developments at the national level in support of stricter gun control laws for everyone, mandatory background checks at all venues, and efforts to restrict firearms ownership by law-abiding citizens, it has become clear that the Mayors Against Illegal Guns movement supports far broader gun control measures than I originally believed.

Further, my constituents have expressed their concerns to me recently, and indeed their opposition, to the manner in which the City’s name, and my name, are being used in the media as an agency, and an elected official, that supports broad based gun control. While I still support efforts to pubish criminals who possess, use and traffic in illegal guns, I am also a supporter of the Second Amendment and I do not agree with, nor do I want to be a part of, efforts to restrict legitimate gun ownership in a broader context. In light of the prominent goal that Mayors Against Illegal Guns is playing in the larger national debate currently taking place on this matter, it would be inappropriate for me to further lend my support to your cause. Therefore, pleaase immediately remove my name, and the city of Rancho Cucamonga, from all further lists of mayors and agencies that are part of your coalition.

Sincerely,
L. Dennis Michael

comments

1. avatar Nazgul says:

Yes! Righteous news. The Nazgul is pleased.

1. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

Oppsss Nick I guess you beat me to it..

2. avatar The smiling swordsman says:

I would like to see a mass exodus from this organization.

3. avatar In Memphis says:

Wow, I hope others join him

4. avatar ProfBathrobe says:

This guy just won the February “Dude, You Got Balls” Award.

1. avatar DrVino says:

Rancho Cucamonga is in San Bernardino County. It is east of the Iron Curtain and more tolerant of guns.

5. avatar 4strokes says:

Those who were asleep are beginning to wake. This is a good thing that is long overdue.

6. avatar Shire-man says:

There should be some sort of idiot award for signing up with MAIG in the first place.
    Walking into a room of rabid disarmament zealots didnt tip him off years ago?

“Honestly, I thought NAMBLA was just an offshoot of Big Brothers Big Sisters!!”

Better late than never I guess.

1. avatar Nick Leghorn says:

North American Marlin Brando Look-alike Association.

1. avatar Bill says:

Thumbs up for SP

1. avatar Adam says:

“Stop, you’re spilling it!”

2. avatar Kelly in GA says:

Nick wins today’s edition of the internet.

3. avatar DrVino says:

*LIKE*!!!!!

7. avatar Clouded says:

Well I’ll be damned, Hope starting in in California of all places

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Lots of people like to claim that “as California does, so does the rest of the nation”. I hope that holds true in this case as well.

Is this the first mayor to ever remove themselves from MAIG?

1. avatar Bdk NH says:

Only people in California say that. Thanks goodness that for the most part that it isn’t true.
        Also, Kudos to Mayor Michael.

8. avatar Randy Drescher says:

Welcome aboard Dennis, please talk to some others, Randy

9. avatar g says:

Hopefully more mayors will also speak out.

10. avatar Anonymous says:

MAIG (Mayers Against Illegal Guns) should change its name to

MAGI (Make All Guns Illegal).

1. avatar Will McG says:

Gosh … a crack in the wall of solidarity … maybe should change name to “Mayors Against Guns, United They Stand” – MAGUTS … descriptive and kinda catchy at the same time …

2. avatar Mark N. says:

Definitely NOT MAGI–that might lend credence to the irrational thought that there position is “wise.”

3. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

Another name change suggestion: IMAAG (Illegal Mayors Against All Guns) The Illegal part is more accurate this way because a higher percentage of this group’s members have committed crimes than CC permit holders. Also, the act of taking actions in conflict with your oath to defend the constitution, isn’t that illegal? If not, it should be.

Of course the most delicious thing would be for Pro-Gun mayors to join and change the group’s course. Imagine a MAIG mission statement of “…to arm the law-abiding such that they can adequately to defend themselves and their communities from those that would use weapons illegally…”

11. avatar JWhite says:

AWESOME!!!!! GO CALI!

12. avatar In Memphis says:

Didnt fina an email address but heres city hall contact info if anyone wants to send a message of thanks and maybe encourage him to get others to leave

10500 Civic Center Drive
    Rancho Cucamonga 91730
    (909) 477-2700

1. avatar Doug Richards says:

On the city website on the Mayor page it shows a picture of the Mayor, click on his name and it will give you an e-mail.

13. avatar Don says:

Well as a Rancho resident I will definitely vote for Dennis next election

14. avatar APBTFan says:

The title insinuates there is more than one mayor that has dropped out. Either I can’t read tonight and/or my google-fu is weak. Who else has dropped out?

1. avatar Eric S. says:

A few guys dropped out sometime ago when they got a lot of letters from constituents. MAIG didn’t necessarily have an application for membership, they just made every mayor a member and sent them a letter saying they were now members. You had to opt-out if you didn’t want to be a part of MAIG.

1. avatar Stacy says:

Really? Sweet, you are all now members of my organization, “Zero Americans Want Gun Control”. With 300 million+ members, who can ignore us? Let me know if you don’t really want to be a member…

1. avatar Joel says:

Best comment of the year award.

15. avatar great unknown says:

He must have been one of those members who didn’t have a criminal record.

16. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

If they don’t like ILLEGAL guns they should just make all guns legal. Problem solved.

1. avatar bontai Joe says:

I like the way you think!

2. avatar Joel says:

All guns are already legal. #thinkaboutit

17. avatar Lance says:

Hope other join him.

18. avatar Jarhead1982 says:

Sauraman is not all powerful we see, how much longer before Frodo destroys the ring of power, we shall see!

19. avatar blehtastic says:

We need a “Mayors for the Unorganized Militia”.

Show up twice a year, take some safety and more intensive CCW style courses along with a few hours of range time, and you’re part of your town’s militia. Mayor signs off on your militia status, you go out and buy lots of otherwise bureaucratically prohibitive stuff like hand grenades and promise to use them in service to the country should Mexico ever attempt an invasion. As the Acronym implies, the mayors have no need of knowing what kit you procure for yourself so long as you show up for training weekend with at least a rifle and sidearm.

Everybody’s happy.

1. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

Did I hear that South Carolina is considering legislation to solidify citizen militias?

20. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

I just e-mailed my mayor in a small New Jersey town to follow his lead. If someone can go against the tide in California, surely we can do the same here! Is it really true that mayors could have been added to their membership without their knowledge?

Mayor M.D. (initials for privacy), if you’re here, thank you for your attention!

21. avatar JMS says:

Illegal.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

1. avatar Jack says:

Ill eagle is a sick bird.

22. avatar Tim says:

So the title says mayorS. So who are the others?

23. avatar mp says:

Huge fan of the site, but…

Guys, PLEASE, use spell check, or grammar check or whatever….

“Just about everything about the Mayors Against Illegal Guns organization is designed to be deceive.”……

“designed to be deceive” ???!!!

It just makes ‘us’ look bad and happens too often for the #1 firearms blog in the U.S.A.

I’m not trying to be a ” grammar nazi”, but I forward this stuff to hundreds of my “libtard” friends- and I’m sure many others do too.

It just looks careless and gives them more ammo about how “dumb and backwards” pro gun people are.

Sorry to complain, HUGE fan, keep up the good work.

mp

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

And we also have this gem, “… efforts to pubish criminals …”

Instead of pubish, it should be punish of course. I caught that one right away but it actually took me a moment to figure out what the correct word should be.

1. avatar Evan says:

Although who is to say that wasn’t in the original, they didn’t [sic] it but it all was in block quotes. If the letter had the mistakes they aren’t supposed to fix them unless they make a point that they fixed it. The one in the beginning is pretty bad.

24. avatar Billy Wardlaw says:

Its a little early to call this drip a break in the dam.

25. avatar Slowburn says:

Mayors Against Illegal Guns? “Illegal Guns”? Pure, unadulterated libspeak.
    The only way a GUN can be ’illegal’ is under some law or another passed by actual people. Problem with laws only starts with the fact that under some law or another, any person, act or thing can be declared ‘illegal’ or ‘unlawful’.
    Sure, a person can ‘illegally’ possess a GUN, but there’s no such thing as an ‘illegal’ GUN. There isn’t a single GUN anywhere in the US that isn’t, uh, ‘legally’ owned by someone, and there’s millions of people who legally own exactly the same types of GUNS that are made ‘illegal’ in other places.
    “A GUN is essentially nothing more than an inanimate object that when used for some purpose or another becomes a tool. As is the case with any tool, the responsibility for its use is solely that of the user.”
    Speaking of tools, looks like Mr. Michael there may have taken some slight offense to bein’ used as one and made a point of sayin’ so.
    Good thing for him the Bloomberg Collective and their Anti-American ilk didn’t think to write a law closing the legal loophole for Mayors and make him into a criminal for opting out.

26. avatar Ray says:

Betchya his and the city name will remain on the MAG list for years. Probably just an oversight though, I’m sure.

27. avatar Rick says:

I live in Northern California. Our Sheriff’s here have written letters supporting the constitution. I’m happy to see someone in Southern Cailfornia standing up I don’t care if their in or out of the iron curtain…

28. avatar sindaan68 says:

Translation: I see the political writing on the wall for supporting groups like yours. Also, I like being mayor so there.

1. avatar Old Ben turning in grave says:

As long as they listen and act, I don’t care whether they are doing it to stay in office or not. You can’t ever win the minds of all politicians, especially career ones. You can only hope to force enough of them to do the right thing.

Yay! The mayor of Huevos Rancheros Rancho Kowabunga Toonerville told MAIG to FOAD. Now if we can only persuade the mayors of New York, Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles to do the same.

Oh, wait . . . .

1. avatar Dave says:

I havent done business with LA for decades. I dont support counties who’s government is against the 2A, nor do I support sactuary cities with my patronage. I will change my mind when they demonstraight through stiff action total support for the U S Constitution.

30. avatar My Name Is Bob says:

Take more with you!!!

31. avatar Dave S says:

Is good to see that someone has felt the heat of public opinion