Ruger Getting Back in the Shotgun Biz?

Screen Shot 2013-02-19 at 7.52.44 AM

Is Ruger getting back in the shotty business? Let’s give the Magic Eight Ball a shake and . . . all signs point to yes! Eagle-eyed reader Jim noticed their posting at nssf.org for someone to fill a shotguns product manager position. Which seemed strange since, as everyone knows, they haven’t made shotguns for, like, decades. Unfortunately Ruger, being a publicly traded firm, has to comply with all manner of pesky SEC regulations concerning new product announcements. Which means that when I asked Mark Gurney what’s up, he dutifully demurred. He did point out, though, that God is love, love is blind and Ray Charles is blind. The obvious conclusion? Ray Charles is (was) God. So while he couldn’t prematurely spill any beanage, Mark did invite anyone interested (and, you know, qualified) to submit their resume. And since Ruger’s been systematically filling holes in their extensive product line, it seems a safe bet that we’ll see something new and interesting from them when next we gather in Las Vegas. Watch this space.

comments

1. avatar Gyufygy says:

RSG?

One can hope.

Also, I never knew that Ruger made shotguns. When/why did they stop?

1. avatar Gyufygy says:

Heh, read the “Buy Ruger Guns, Not Stock” article above, and what do you know: shottie sales were lousy.

The More You Know
      ————-*

2. avatar Leo Atrox says:

My “sources” say that it is a direct assault on anti-gunner mentality. The new shotgun will be an innovative new manual 12-guage assault shotgun with a field stock–which makes it faster to shoulder and therefore more deadly–and high-capacity 5-round linear magazine … Or it will be a double-barrel of some variety that is made more deadly and concealable by having it’s barrel trimmed from the standard 28 inches to only 26 inches.

3. avatar Lemming says:

Although it’s a pipe dream, I had a sudden image of a Ruger Mini-12. It’ll take hours to get the grin off of my face.

1. avatar Jim R says:

That would be pretty damn awesome.

But yeah, probably won’t happen.

1. avatar Sovereign says:

I hope they come out with something along the lines of a Mini 12. I would purchase that in a heartbeat.

2. avatar John says:

Mini-410. I know I’d be the only one to buy it. I also want them to make a blackhawk in .32. Come to think of it, I have all kinds of ideas. Maybe Thayer should hire me…

1. avatar AL says:

I am with you Mini-410.

4. avatar Scott says:

I’m a Ruger fanboy, so I’d love to see them come out with a competent and diverse line of shotguns.

5. avatar reiser says:

The last and only ruger shotgun I owned was a red label 12ga over under and was not to the ruger quality the name implied.I did and would take a B-gun over it any day.

6. avatar stormchaser says:

Perhaps they are gearing up to steal more designs from Kel-tec?

7. avatar Aharon says:

If Ruger is going to be offering shotguns then I’d like to see them make a coach gun with SxS 20″ barrels, a combination pump with 18″ and 26″ barrels, and a semi-auto with a 20″ barrel cut for different chokes.

8. avatar _DonWorsham_ says:

Likely a copy of the Kel-Tec shotty.

9. avatar bontai Joe says:

I really need to get out more. I didn’t know that Ruger stopped making shotguns. I thought the Red Label over & unders were still in production.

10. avatar Jake says:

Argh I wish I had just a little more beef in my resume, this is maybe an hour and a half out from where I want to live. Does it count if I have loved firearms since I knew what they were, and did my first grammar school science project on ballistics? If someone from Ruger saw this and took pity on a freedom lover desperate to escape NYC, I would do whatever it took to get even an entry level spot in the firearms industry. This city is killing my soul.

11. avatar إبليس says:

Probably an economy grade shotgun with a Western name. New from Ruger, the Saguaro!

1. avatar jwm says:

A mass produced pump gun to take the market away from Mossberg and remington.

12. avatar Andrew says:

Perhaps you meant they haven’t _designed_ a new shotgun in decades; they only stopped production of their Red Label over/under last year. And it was widely held on the ruger-fan forums that they would return with a new design.

13. avatar Johnny says:

Didn’t Ruger make the Red Label and Gold Label a couple years back?

I’m hoping this one is the Black Assault Label.

14. avatar Lance says:

Ruger shotgun??? Who cares I prefer Remington as a brand name shotgun.

1. avatar AZRon says:

Gee, thanks for your helpful input. Your insight has greatly improved my life. Do you have a sister?

DSFFNB

15. This could mean big things in the future for good ol’ Sturm Ruger, huh? This was a great find, by the way. Shout out to whomever stumbled upon this.

Jared – Community Relations, Gunup.com

16. avatar BLAMMO says:

I’ve always thought they needed a pump gun in their stable. But what do I know.

17. avatar Oldbiker_usa says:

Ruger made a few models in the shotgun line. They started with the Red Label (no tubes) and later added choke tubes. Next was the Woodside (affectionately know as the Woody) which was also an O/U.
    The last model they introduced was the Gold Label which was a S x S.
    I believe they had some fitment issues with the Gold Label or other problems during manufacture and they became hard to come by and finally, they were gone.
    Not sure about the Woody but all other models were offered in different gauges and with either pistol or english stocks.
    I own one of each model in 12 ga; the Gold Label being the only one with a straight stock and never had a problem with any of them.
    WISH THEY’D BRING THEM ALL BACK!

18. avatar Pilar says:

The exceptions seem to be entertainment (if marketed properly), grocery stores, essential
    clothing (socks, underwear, jackets) and the odd specialty
    store. However, any of those scenarios seemed as if they would
    create more trouble. Small entrepreneurs,
    who do not have collateral to offer, find unsecured small business
    loans as an alternative, which help them expand their business to
    new horizons.