Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day: JJ Sandy

Here’s one of the best headlines since ‘Headless Body Found in Topless Bar’ and it comes to us courtesy of nbcnews.com: ‘Woman shot by oven while trying to cook waffles.’ We know, you’re wondering where her Amana got the gat in the first place, right? It didn’t happen quite that way. “Aalaya Walker was visiting a friend in St. Petersburg Monday when they decided they wanted some late-night waffles, The Tampa Bay Times reported. So Walker began preheating the oven — unaware that her friend, JJ Sandy, 25, was storing a magazine from his .45-caliber Glock 21 in the oven” . . .

JJ must be some kinda Safety Suzy or sumpthin’.

Sandy told police he’d stored the gun in a drawer but had stored the magazine in the oven. Four rounds were in the 13-capacity magazine, he said.

Cause when you need your ammo in a hurry, what’s more accessible than the range in the kitchen? Only he forgot to tell his girl. When Aalaya got a might peckish and warmed up the oven in anticipation of some Belgian delights, bang went the Winchesters.

The magazine exploded about 9 p.m. ET, spraying casing fragments at high speed and striking Walker. She managed to pick some of the fragments out of her leg and chest and then took a bus to the hospital, where she was treated and released.

In what appears to be an epic non-sequitur, NBC notes that,

Sandy wasn’t charged because he had a proper concealed weapons permit….

Exactly why someone would need a concealed weapons permit to have a gun in his home isn’t really clear. Be that as it may, though, we hope this little incident was a teachable moment for JJ and persuades him to keep his guns and ammo somewhere with a little less potential for thermal variation. Until then, maybe he can hide his mags behind the IGOTD trophy he’ll soon have on his mantle.

comments

1. avatar ST says:

First some guy melts his SigSauer SP2022 in the oven, and now this.

Rule #5: No Weapon or Attachment Thereof Shall Be Stored in Household Appliances.

1. avatar Tama Paine says:

Rule #1: Always clear the chamber of your oven before you bring the heat.

2. avatar Daniel S. says:

Cardinal rule of oven safety: Always assume your oven is loaded.

2. avatar SubZ says:

The range is a great place for mags 😛

1. avatar My Name Is Bob says:

ZING!!!

3. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Weelll…

If not in the spirit of E.A. Poe’s “the Purloined Letter,” the magazine at least was concealed.

Russ in Kansas

1. avatar LongBeach says:

“Purloined” is a juicy, wholesome word. I shall use it more often. I have already purloined several margaritas from my lady’s booze storage establishment.

4. avatar Tex74 says:

Good grief that’s stupid on coming from both sides. 1. Storing ammo in an oven?! Where do you start with that one? 2. The media saying he wasn’t charged because he had a concealed carry permit. WTF does that even have to do with what happened?!

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Hmmm…

A Glock 21 is a tidge smaller and more easily concealed than an M91/30 with bayonet attached.

Mayhap where he lives you need a permit for anything that can be hidden. >;{>

On another tack, mayhap he’s a confirmed “I don’t cook” guy, and had never thought that the oven might some day be put to use… 😉

Russ, sarcastic curmudgeon

2. avatar supergrover says:

yea– i mean come on, it doesn’t even take below average intelligence to know it’s a REALLY dumb idea to do that,right ?
      maybe i really am smarter than everyone else.

5. avatar RKflorida says:

I was thinking of putting 4 .50 cal rounds in our 4 slice toaster to keep them really, really hidden. After reading this, I’m not gonna do that. Probably put them in the BBQ and pour some brickettes over them so nobody finds them.

1. avatar dededede says:

Yes yes, this seems like a fine plan indeed. Thanks for the idea, I’m going to do the same, right after I grease my squeaky stairs.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

And your squeaky brakes…

6. avatar kb says:

The scourge of high capacity bullet clips!

/sarcasm

7. avatar jwm says:

Come on guys. J.J. cleaned his mag and ammo in the dishwasher and was just drying them out prior to slapping a little Pam on them and putting them back in his glock.

Safety tip for J.J. If you’re going to put ammo in the oven take it apart first. Seperate the powder and primers from the casing and bullet. Put the powder in the suger bowl and the primers in the crisper in the fridge. Nothing bad can happen that way and when you’re ready just reassemble your ammo.

8. avatar HiPlanesDrifter says:

In addition to the great tips already given, storing ammo in the fireplace is another one. If you have CH/A, no one should be using it, and I’m figuring if a BG breaks in the place, it’ll be the last place he looks, right? When you run out of room there, there’s lots of room in the microwave.

9. avatar WaffleExpert says:

The real question is: who the heck makes waffles in an oven??!

1. avatar My Name Is Bob says:

I wondered the same thing, something’s fishy!

2. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

If they were frozen (store-bought or made fresh at home earlier then frozen) and they didn’t have a toaster or toaster oven it makes sense..

Keeping ammo in a box that gets hot though? Not so much.

10. avatar stompahippie says:

Damn now I gotta move my stash , didn’t know the range had another use.

11. avatar Peter says:

And what significance does the overall capacity have? None, other than to get people riled up. THIRTEEN bullets ZOMG! We need smaller magazines!

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

At least it wasn’t full.

That’s the significance – thank goodness Mr. Doofus didn’t fill ‘er up following the last use, just in case he might have a surprise use for it.

They’re just saing how bad things might’ve been. Yeah, that’s it. Yeah.

Yeah, right.

Russ

12. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

so is she staying with the guy or dumping him? After all, Low Information Voters who get their news data from the Lifetime Channel only care about the important stuff

13. avatar Big C says:

Is it just me or does this story sound a bit odd? How did the shrapnel get her if the mag was in the oven? Was she preheating the oven with the door open?…that’s almost as dumb as storing your G21 mag in the oven itself. Also, why did he just have 4 rounds in the magazine?

I am not saying anything nefarious happened, but it sounds to me like the story may have been somewhat confused in its journey from victim to police to reporter.

1. avatar Thomas Paine says:

he had four rounds in the magazine, because with the ammo shortage and high prices, he and 11 of his buddies split a box purchase. Duh.

2. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Hmmm…

I’m thinking that either the window blew out, or she opened the hatch at the most inopportune moment.

While a pistol round sans pistol won’t do much, the magazine would provide some containment, thus enhancing the effect.

Further, were a round on an end of the group – especially the bottom rather toward the interior – to go first, you’d have a crude resonant charge as the others were set off by concussion.

Result: no small boom.

Russ, Kansan

14. avatar schizuki says:

I see “Woman shot by oven while trying to cook waffles” and I think, “Wha…?’

Then I keep reading until I see it happened in Florida, and it’s, “Well, that clears it up.”

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Damn! I wish I’d said that!

15. avatar Sammy says:

JJ has a home firing range, lucky dog.

16. avatar Lucas D. says:

…And that’s what happens when you don’t leggo my Eggo.

17. avatar ChuckN says:

“Walker learned why you never turn your back
    on a loaded stove.”

“Treat every appliance like it’s loaded.”

“JJ never was a high caliber cook.”

“The situation went from bad to waffle.”

1. avatar BeninMA says:

And do we have to say it?

“Guns don’t kill people…”

18. avatar BeninMA says:

The guy’s thought process probably went something like this: “Man, I’m WAY too drunk to have a loaded firearm! I know, I’ll just put the magazine in this handy drawer here.”

19. avatar Aharon says:

The story I read reported that the magazine was stored in a waffle maker ie waffle iron not a regular oven. Bet next time, she goes out for waffles.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

I cannot see how that’s possible. It wouldn’t close.

Curiouser and curiouser. It smells loud, but it tastes distinctly purple.

Russ

20. avatar Randy Drescher says:

I hear they don’t have much power when not chambered. I talked to a guy that said he routinely swept up & would put bullets in his wood stove, not much happened except a little noise, Randy

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

The don’t.

Firefighters responding to a house fire with un-chambered ammo stored in large quantities basically have nothing to fear except the flash-fire that occurs as the smokeless powder ignites. Most of the time, the pressure causes primers to come out of their pockets, and if not, then the case goes flying much further than the pill.

Turnout gear deflects almost everything.

21. avatar Crunkleross says:

Who hasn’t left a mag on the range sometime or another?

22. avatar William says:

I happened to be visiting a pal in Manhattan when the NY POST headline, HEADLESS BODY IN TOPLESS BAR headline hit the newsstands and vending machines; as it hit you square between the eyebrows, it affected me similarly. THAT’ was the POST at its cynical best, EVER.

I’ve kicked myself ever since for not buying one, or DOZENS! Can you IMAGINE what they’d fetch today? I’d be able to buy a Tavor. Now I’ll die without ever HOLDING one.

Life can be so cruel!

23. avatar supergrover says:

while all you guys have been doing is whining about how stupid people can get, i have a solution:

ignore them. but more than just that, don’t do ANYTHING for them. eventually, all the idiots will die from falling off cliffs, prying toast out of the toaster with a fork, etc, and the really lucky expletives will die from starvation because they don’t understand how to boil water.

24. avatar JAS says:

Gives a whole new meaning to cooking off a few rounds :>)

25. avatar Kelzebub says:

I believe you should rename your blog to the truth about stupid people doing stupid things. This really had little to do with guns, and more to do with stupid people.

26. avatar AJ says:

Come on, everyone knows you’re supposed to keep your important papers/life savings in the oven and your bullets in the fridge.