Housekeeping: Auto-Play A-Go-Go

Attentive members of the Armed Intelligentsia will have noticed the increased ad space here at TTAG central command. Things have gone mostly swimmingly with our new ad partner, Lanista, who’s complimented GunUp nicely so far. That’s not to say there hasn’t been a speed bump or two along the way — as in that floating “assault ad” formerly seen at the bottom of the screen. You win some, you lose some. We also hear tell of occasional auto-play ads (audio and video) that have managed to worm their way into the rotation despite our best efforts. They can be hard to find and weed out, though. So, if you’re hit with one and would like to help, please ID the advertiser and send a screen shot of the offender to guntruth@me.com. Your assistance will, as always, be much appreciated. And, we hope, result in a better, less annoying experience for everyone. Thanks.

comments

1. avatar Bob says:

Thanks so much for keeping TTAG a pleasant place to go!

2. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

I guess my ad-blocker must be doing it’s job.

3. avatar WA_2A says:

I don’t think this counts as an “ad” – but the NRA “stand and fight” video is on auto-play. As of right now it’s at the bottom of the page, so one more post will send it to page 2, but just wanted to let you guys know; it plays as soon as I load the blog.

4. avatar Jake W says:

Thanks for all you guys do…Keep up the fire!

5. avatar tron says:

Just setup a donate button or Amazon affiliate already.

1. avatar NWGlocker says:

+1000. Gotta pay the bills somehow.

How about a premium membership– we pay and get an ad-free site in return?

6. avatar Matt in SD says:

Why are you guys so awesome???

7. avatar ChrisJ says:

“occasional auto-play ads (audio and video) ”

This is happening to me, the two I’ve been hearing are ads for Safeway and Target.

8. avatar Randy Drescher says:

The one comes on with all the finess of a German jazz band, if it helps generate money, no problem, Randy

9. avatar TexanHawk says:

RF, Personally, I hope you’re making enough to cover your expenses and even make a living. I use Chrome and AdBlock so I haven’t noticed the ads.

10. avatar Lowne says:

The “Free Online Dating” ad directly above the picture of a rough and tumble looking gentleman named Mr. John Hollister is a bit disconcerting.

*wink*

(Seriously, I too hope that you’re getting revenue to keep ya’ll going. Thank you for removing the crazy scrolling ad at the bottom but ya’ll do what ya gotta do!)

11. avatar Nathaniel says:

I don’t mind ad, but the autonplay ones are very annoying. I just close the TTAG tab whenever one comes on.

1. avatar Lowne says:

OOOOH! Yeah, the autoplays with sound! JEEBUS those are annoying!

I used to leave TTAG open all the time at work and home but those autoplay ads are a PITA. Had to close out TTAG and only open it when I’m around the computer.

12. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Heh. On the iPad, the Flash ads with sound don’t load, so no worries there. Floating ads are the SUCK on tablets, though, because they do crazy stuff when you zoom in on the comments page-area.

On the laptop, my AdBlock setup lets through the static non-annoying stuff but resolutely blocks the animated ads. I like it that way so I can still see the GunUp specials. 😉

13. avatar BLAMMO says:

I’m not getting any autoplay ads. I use the latest version of Firefox with no ad or banner blocking plug-ins.

14. avatar ADub from TTAC says:

The gun ads are fine. You need to hit up more retailers. I’ve actually been browsing their sites. The other ones need help, though, because I’ve been seeing ads for liberal douchebags, and I don’t search for them or check out their websites. Maybe you can get Two if By Tea to advertise. Or Club Gitmo.

Updated: I posted this and immediately an ad for Al Franken popped up- I left MN because he stole the election out of Duluth. Ban that shizzit!

15. avatar A Trusted Friend in Science says:

I turned off my adblocker to be supportive, but after all the assault ads turned it back on. If you can find ads that give revenue and don’t force us to unintentionally click on things or totally distort the experience of your site, I think you’ll be best off.

16. avatar Billy Wardlaw says:

Yes, having two unidentified sources of audio playing over the embedded YouTube feed I was watching about drove me nuts – yes that actually happened!

1. avatar Lowne says:

To me as well.

I was trying to listen to some narrow-minded twit Professor tell me how wrong I was for being a gun owner and got to hear (which was ultimately more entertaining) a story of an MMA fighter who would be featured in an upcoming TV show.

The ad might have worked if I actually subscribed to some TV service.

17. avatar Roscoe says:

I’m on an XP Pro platform using IE 8 and have no problems with this site.

For me the advertising runs at the very top, along the right side 1/3rd of the screen, and very bottom of the page. It is unobtrusive to me as I focus on the meat of the editorials and comments and mostly ignore the ads.

I don’t sweat the small stuff as a general rule. But if there were pop-up ads constantly overlaying editorial content, much as I like this website, I’d probably lose interest and look elsewhere.

18. avatar Ben says:

I use Chrome and Adblock, so I don’t even get any ads. However, if there was a “donate” button that let me Paypal you some money, then I would jump on that.

19. avatar Nathan says:

I’m staring at a “Support President Obama’s Agenda” ad right now. It’s an autoplay ad, but a side banner and it looks like it’ll go to a petition; the bottom button says “Sign Here.” It just changed to a “Sponsored Links” ad, so it looks like it may switch between a few.

20. avatar Crunkleross says:

I’m just wishing I was a PH 9.

21. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

I am reminded of how Microsoft would release a version of say Windows and then it seemed to be their strategy to let the users weed out the problems for them. (Truth be told, there’s probably no way they could have anticipated all the potential issues that might arise.) So there’s a part of me that says it’s your job to get your website right. But the nicer part of me appreciates everything you’re doing to help keep us informed and I’m glad to help if I can.

FYI, right now as I’m typing out this message there are things going on in the background on this web page. The computer makes these clicking noises every now and then and the message banner at the bottom indicates that stuff is being downloaded. In the past I’ve had isssues with the computer locking up and having to reboot apparently because there was so much going on with the web page.

22. avatar BirdeyeDrew says:

Thanks for the heads up and attention to details for your readers. As much as I like TTAG, if auto-run ads were to become a regular part of your advertising then I would avoid the site with all diligence. I HATE auto-run ads. I do visit GunUp and other regular ads on occasion, but WILL NOT visit an auto-run ad. Did I mention that I HATE them?

23. avatar Denny says:

These auto play video adds svck, can’t stand them. If I want a video I’ll chose to click the link. Other wise let us read in peace and quiet.

24. avatar LinebackerU says:

The auto-play ads have caused me to take TTAG out of my “always open tabs” list. The ads might be silent for an hour, but then all of a sudden they’ll start playing audio and video while I’m doing something else in another tab.

That’s intolerable, so now TTAG is on my list of “maybe visit every couple of days” sites.