TX Congressman Threatens to Impeach Obama on Gun Control

Statement released by Texas Congressman Steve Stockman:

The White House’s recent announcement they will use executive orders and executive actions to infringe on our constitutionally-protected right to keep and bear arms is an unconstitutional and unconscionable attack on the very founding principles of this republic . . .

I will seek to thwart this action by any means necessary, including but not limited to eliminating funding for implementation, defunding the White House, and even filing articles of impeachment.

The President’s actions are an existential threat to this nation.  The right of the people to keep and bear arms is what has kept this nation free and secure for over 200 years.  The very purpose of the Second Amendment is to stop the government from disallowing people the means to defend themselves against tyranny. Any proposal to abuse executive power and infringe upon gun rights must be repelled with the stiffest legislative force possible.

Under no circumstances whatsoever may the government take any action that disarms any peaceable person – much less without due process through an executive declaration without a vote of Congress or a ruling of a court.

The President’s actions are not just an attack on the Constitution and a violation of his sworn oath of office – they are a direct attack on Americans that place all of us in danger.  If the President is allowed to suspend constitutional rights on his own personal whims, our free republic has effectively ceased to exist.

comments

1. avatar The smiling swordsman says:

I <3 Texas!!!

1. avatar Bob says:

+1E6

I could move to texas

2. avatar Lee says:

Stockman is a joke not only with his Tea Party partners but throughout the Republican Establishment.

1. avatar Carl says:

Lee, your ass hat is too tight.

3. avatar Concerned citizen says:

Gun control is political suicide! Impeach him! Cars are an extremely dangerous assault weapon, so are everyday kitchen knives, are you gonna ban those items, or a lighter and a gas can. Train school public and church personel, but do not take away a constitutional right given to us by our forefathers, and do not infringe on our rights of confidentiality with dr’s.

2. avatar Rabbi says:

I called his office and thanked him. I suggest that we all do.
    202-225-1555

1. avatar Accur81 says:

I called and thanked one of his aides. He asked if I wanted to move to Texas. I do! (Not terribly feasible right now, but well see..)

2. avatar brian.z says:

I did the same. Said I lived in Mass but was appreciative of a Representative willing to defend the Constitution.

3. avatar Bob says:

You can email him here also:

If all else fails in the rest of the U.S. and we’re lucky enough in TX, there’s lots of room in here…

3. avatar jwm says:

I got family in Texas. Them folks are for real. I half expect Texas to once again declare its independence.

1. avatar JoshinGA says:

If they do, Ill move there.

4. avatar SKFOX says:

What a breath of fresh balls!

1. avatar pat says:

I know and agree with your sentiment. But……you REALLY dont want to dwell for any period of time on that…..gulp……phrase!!!
      Yipes

5. avatar LK says:

Nice! I’m glad someone is making a stand.

1. avatar WC says:

“The President’s actions are not just an attack on the Constitution and a violation of his sworn oath of office”
      Umm- What actions? There have only been words so vague that Obama hasn’t yet said what he will do, and he certainly hasn’t yet DONE anthing. Stockman has really jumped the gun (excuse the pun) on this.

6. I called his office today and left a message with one of his associates thanking him.

7. avatar InBox485 says:

So this asshat was okay with all the other acts of treason, but for a suggestion that was symbolic of frustration more than anything meaningful he is playing the impeach card? This blow hard is covering for something. Don’t buy into the theater.

1. avatar Rob Eide says:

And what have you done?

1. avatar InBox485 says:

Unlike the congressman, I have no authority to initiate impeachment proceedings. So, using my freedom of speech, I’ve pointed out the glaring hypocrisy of one of the people that do have that duty.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Wow. Awesome job.

8. avatar Benny says:

I’m proud to live here. I think Texas will be one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, obstacles in the dems fight for gun control. Ted Cruz is taking a similar stance.

1. avatar Crazed Java says:

I would not be surprised if Rick Perry thumbs his nose at any federal statute or EO. He hates Obama and knows that plays well with Texans.

Seriously, if they manage to pass a magazine capacity limit and Perry says Texans can still have them I won’t be the least bit shocked.

1. avatar Benny says:

Ha! I didn’t even think of that. I’d put money on it. Perry is the kind of guy who would do such a thing and texans all round would back his move 100%. Texans like their guns. Nuff said.

1. avatar Lee says:

I am Texan, born and raised and Yes, I have my gun, of course. But Rick Perry is the last person in the world I would listen to for anything. I personally think he is intellectually inferior.

9. avatar Amy says:

Its going to take people like this to stop this dictator! I applaud you Steve…

1. avatar Rob Drummond says:

The Supreme Lord & Dictator …….HIMSELF, that is!!!
      Stand tall & together,
      Rob Drummond
      Hillsboro, NH

10. avatar In Memphis says:

I knew I should have moved to Texas instead of Tennessee. Oh well I guess I could see if that job offer is still on the table. Man, was I stupid for listening to the now ex wife for coming out here lol

11. avatar j says:

Thank God for Texas!! Cause I can tell you the newly elected limp wrist from Maine won’t step forward!

12. avatar William says:

“Existential threat”? I wonder what the Congressman’s been reading, Sartre? But I applaud his action and thank him.

13. avatar Casey T says:

I love this guy. We need more elected officials like him.

14. avatar OkieRim says:

What would really be great is more repubs and a few blue dog dems said the same, or even said they would defund any of the anti legislation.

15. avatar Silver says:

“If the President is allowed to suspend constitutional rights on his own personal whims, our free republic has effectively ceased to exist.”

Nail on the head.

16. avatar Accur81 says:

Outfreakingstanding!

Texas understands freedom well. Since they share a border with Mexico, I can understand their lack of enthusiasm for giving up guns. I think a good old fashioned impeachment for violation of the US Constitution is a great way to go. We need more people like this.

17. avatar Ross says:

Well this is quite refreshing.

18. avatar Bob's yer uncle says:

Finally, someone uses the “I” word. Personally, I’ve been secretly hoping that AF1 crashes with no survivors, but impeachment would be almost as good.

1. avatar Lee says:

Impeachment is nothing more than a waste of time. It is a political process and not judicial in nature. There are not enough votes to oust the President. Why waste time? Besides, Executive Orders are constitutioanl, Congressman Stockman is an idiot for bringing this up.

1. avatar Tammy says:

Executive Orders are not automatically constitutional, and the Supreme Court does have the authority to vacate one if they find it to be unconstitutional. Congress can also effectively block an Executive Order, either by passing legislation which conflicts with it or by passing legislation which denies funding for its implementation.

1. avatar Lee says:

The legislation has to be signed by the President and there aren’t enough votes to override the President. If it goes to the courts, it has to go to the Supreme Court, that would take about as long as a Presidential Term unless the President asks the Court for an immediate hearing. As a political scientist, I know the process quite well, and I really don’t belong in this conversation. It’s a futile discussion with this kind of audiance.

2. avatar Brett says:

Lee, you forgot quotation marks around “scientist”.

19. avatar Randy Drescher says:

When I listened via radio to Tanya Tucker at Billy Bobs many many years ago, I was there./// I would doubt Walker(Wis) would sell out to the people that put him in, so we are not too bad here,Randy

20. avatar Mike D. says:

Bravo!

The President’s actions are an existential threat to this nation.

Actually, POTUS hasn’t, you know, done anything. Yet. All he did was shoot off his smug, cheeky mouth. And if talking out of one’s @ss like Obama did was an impeachable offense, there wouldn’t be any politicians left in the nation’s capital. Or New York’s capital, for that matter. Or Sacramento. Or Boston.

1. avatar AlphaGeek says:

It’s not even clear to me what he’s intending to enact via EO vs what will go through the legislative process. Or did I miss mention of where he clarified that? There have been a LOT of articles on his utterances lately.

22. avatar Lance says:

Call his office and say thank you to all pro gunner fighting to protect our rights.

23. avatar Kat says:

If anything is passed into law other than closing the alleged “gun show loop hole” Texas Attorney General, Greg Abbott, with have a lawsuit filed before the ink is dried on a ban of anything, on behalf of the people of Texas.

24. avatar Greg says:

I like him. we could hang out

25. avatar C says:

“I like you. You have balls. I like balls”

26. avatar SGC says:

God bless Texas! Every politico I’ve written here in Georgia has given the standard wishy washy answer, or said they would protect the Fudds, not the 2nd ammendment. Good to see someone with some balls. Might have to move to Texas.

27. avatar Cpt. Howdy says:

I’d like to send Congressman Stockman some fancy chocolates for Valentines day. God bless him and I hope more find their tomatoes and stand up to the impending tyranny before we all lose.

28. avatar Johnny says:

We need to take a stand on the banning of military-style assault weapons. It is not enough to make the sale or purchase these weapons illegals but it must include ownership as well. If you are not in the military or a LEO (LAW ENFORCE OFFICER) there is no ligament need for the military-style assault weapons. Write your elected officials it is time to stop the violent.

1. avatar JoshinGA says:

You aren’t even a good troll. Good trolls can spell. Go back to primary school and come back when you learn something.