President Obama: I “Do Skeet Shooting All the Time”

Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 10.21.26 AM

Back in September 2010, President Obama told a member of the TCU rifle team that he practiced shooting rifles with the Secret Service. Now we learn that he’s a skeet shooter. In fact, the CIC does it “all the time.” Here’s the relevant excerpt from an interview just posted at newrepublic.com:

Franklin Foer: Have you ever fired a gun?

President Obama: Yes, in fact, up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time.

FF: The whole family?

President Obama: Not the girls, but oftentimes guests of mine go up there. And I have a profound respect for the traditions of hunting that trace back in this country for generations. And I think those who dismiss that out of hand make a big mistake.

Part of being able to move this forward is understanding the reality of guns in urban areas are very different from the realities of guns in rural areas. And if you grew up and your dad gave you a hunting rifle when you were ten, and you went out and spent the day with him and your uncles, and that became part of your family’s traditions, you can see why you’d be pretty protective of that.

So it’s trying to bridge those gaps that I think is going to be part of the biggest task over the next several months. And that means that advocates of gun control have to do a little more listening than they do sometimes.

About Robert Farago

70 Responses to President Obama: I “Do Skeet Shooting All the Time”

1. The right of the people to keep and bear arms for skeet shooting shall not be infringed.

Got it.

2. avatarThomas Paine says:

this thread is worthless without pics. :-)

• avatarMatt in FL says:

First time I’ve seen that phrase used when the discussion wasn’t about women, but it’s used correctly nonetheless.

• avatarRobert Farago says:

Fair enough. Text amended.

• avatarMatt in FL says:

I think our wires got crossed. I wasn’t correcting anything in the original post. I was responding to TP, who evidently would like to see pictures of O actually “doing skeet,” a desire with which I heartily agree.

• avatarTTACer says:

Yeah. Pics or it didn’t happen.

3. avatarJamie in ND says:

There you go!!! That right there proves he’s a huge 2A pimp.

4. avatarPete says:

Bull Chit!

5. avatarCrazed Java says:

“And that means that advocates of gun control have to do a little more listening than they do sometimes.”

Just like how he listened to opponents of ObamaCare?

• avatarMatt in FL says:

I interpreted it as, “You’re not going to get what you want, so you better scale back your expectations.” (Directed at the gun control folks.)

• avatarWade says:

That’s kind of what I picked up, plus a little bit of fake elbow rubbing with gun people thrown in. He’s trying to please everyone, acting like he has another election coming up…..

I wonder what’s he’s trying at?

• avatarJoatmon says:

He’s trying at dismissing the term limit and becoming King Obama. Kiss those babies, please both sides and then bend them over.

6. avatarDavid PA/NJ says:

He’s trying to appeal to the hunters to separate them from us “absolutists.” The divide and conquer strategy we’ve discussed before

• avatarSoccerchainsaw says:

I totally agree. When I saw this story on Yahoo this morning I posted the following in the comments:

You see what he’s trying to do there? Our supreme divider in chief is trying to drive a wedge between hunters/skeet shooters and other gun owners. It worked before for the first AWB. It’s important that we stand firm and united against this cynical attempt at civilian disarmament. Their method is divide and conquer through incremental bans and restrictions. There can be no compromise when it comes to our rights. “You can still shoot guns, but only hunting rifles and shotguns and only during hunting season.” Would you compromise if they were saying, “You can still go to church, but you must only give praise to Thor and only on Wednesday nights.”

• avatarDucky says:

I had a conversation with a friend, and when I asked him if he was okay with the government regulating religion he said “I’m an atheist, so I don’t care”.

I replied with “Wrong, you’re now a Southern Baptist, and you’ll be taxed if you don’t attend at least one hour of church twice a month”

The bill of rights can’t be messed with any further than it already has, and I would even push for removals of hate speech crimes, the NDAA provisions that eliminate the 4th, 5th, and 1st amendment rights of Americans etc…

• avatarB says:

I worship Thor so I didn’t speak up when they came for the crosses.

Then they came for the hammers and no one was left to speak for me.

• avatarCarlosT says:

People like your friend are shocking to me, but on the other hand I’m glad to see that there are people such as you who get it so clearly. Without Constitutional protections, this country will be just another banana republic, and we’ll all be at the mercy of the whims of whichever generalismo holds power at the moment.

• avatarAaron says:

ALL PRAISE THOR!!!!

7. avatarJoshinIA says:

Unfortunately no one told him the 2A isnt about family traditions, its about our protection from people like him.

8. avatarswampsniper says:

Maybe John Kerry will take him on a goose hunt.

9. avatarNick says:

This jerk doesn’t know how to listen. POS.

10. avatarIn Memphis says:

So is he going to try to pretend that none of this confisation stuff happened?

11. avatarBill F says:

“And I have a profound respect for the traditions of hunting that trace back in this country for generations. And I think those who dismiss that out of hand make a big mistake . . .”

Not too many of us “dismiss that out of hand”. But that statement belongs in a separate conversation. The real question, as it applies citizen disarmament is : How profound is your respect for the Constitution?

12. avatarsquarebob says:

I’ll bet he couldn’t tell you the 4 rules of gun safety without a teleprompter

13. avatarChris says:

So I go out with my family and shoot our AR-15′s. weapons have evolved. So should his ignorant stance on what a hunting rifle is.

• avatarIn Memphis says:

But it did evolve. Apparently now bad guys don’t use assault wepons and that is why we don’t need them

14. avatarThomas Paine says:

Rifles and shotguns have no hunting purpose. They are designed to kill humans in war. Why do you need a projectile at 3000fps when a BOW and ARROW can do the same thing?

see where this goes?

• avatarIn Memphis says:

“… see where this goes?”

Yup. Ban bows and crossbows. They were once weapons of war.

• avatarCA_Chris says:

You’re twisting the terms! Your “cross” bow is really an Assault Bow with the shoulder thingy that goes “twang!” Its high-capacity high-caliber belt-fed magazine clip holds ONE bolt! And it can fire it all in seconds killing millions! Imagine the horror! Ban it! Ban it all to hell!

• avatarjwm says:

How about the dreaded Chinese repeating crossbow. It’s a pump semi auto. That’s so evil it must be banned.

15. avatarPete says:

Fudd.

“Be vewy, vewy qwuiet. I’m twying to cweate a wedge issue.

16. avatarMikinid says:

I have a hard time believing he shoots skeet or anything else. Just to convenient. This is just window dressing to distract from a divide and conquer ploy. Separate the hunters from the rest. So very predictable, and utterly unbelievable. Can you picture him wearing his bicycle helmet and shooting skeet? That I might believe.

17. avatarMike in NC says:

Anyone else think of this movie scene when reading the mention of skeet shooting in this report?

18. avatarThomasR says:

How can you tell a politician is lying? his mouth is moving.

19. avatarTerryB says:

I thought The One had only been to Camp David once. Where is he shooting? Pictures, or even better, video, or it didn’t happen.

• avatarIn Memphis says:

Like the pictures of an emotional Obama that were released how long after the Sandy Hook shooting? Won’t prove anything to me

20. avatarpk in AZ says:

It could be a blue sky right now…

And if the occupier in the WH said the sky was blue…

Based on his history…

I would have to call him a LIER!

jmo

21. avatardavid says:

Yeah, but in his family he was taught to hunt the neighborhood dogs…

22. avatarBob says:

I doubt he shoots skeet much at all. His use of the word “we” is probably in the broadest sense, in that his friends do the shooting but they’re all “we”.

23. avatarRandy Drescher says:

Well, I take back everything I ever said about him now, gosh, I didn’t realize he was a skeet shooter. He should really get to work fixing the economy than continue playing games, Randy

24. avatarg says:

Somehow, I don’t think it’s a far-fetched as people make it sound. Plenty of visiting heads of state go by Camp David, and more than a few probably like to skeet shoot or hunt.

Doesn’t Mr. Vladimir Putin himself like… ummm, hunting shirtless?

Be care what you wish for. You really want topless photos of President Obama with a bolt-action?

25. avatarJackrabbit says:

Obama doesn’t really enjoy shooting. It gives him an uncomfortable testosterone boost. He prefers to appear on Oprah and Ellen deGeneres.

26. avatarCameron says:

I call bullshit.

27. avatarBob2 says:

Spoken like a true dictator. This is supposed to be America where we don’t compromise our right away.

28. avatarscottlac says:

That’s like the stereotype phrase, “I cant be racist, I have some black friends but…”

Obama: “I can’t be against gun owners, I go skeet shooting all the time.”

29. avatarWilliam says:

REEKIN’ LIAR!!! It appears NO LIE is too sleazy to tell with Drone Killa.

30. avatarjake45 says:

I am not worried about clay targets kicking in my back door. And as for the BSerr in chief I need to see some pictures of him shooting a gun.

31. avatarLance says:

Obama shoots…… Bull Crap Bull Crap

More lies from the nations top lier.

32. avatarDave says:

2nd is not about hunting rights. Never believe anything this guy says….and never take your eye off him.

33. avatarChris says:

He shoots skeet all over the constitution daily ……….

34. avatarchris says:

I like to do da cha cha

35. avatarThrownunderabusinWV says:

Does he realize firing missiles from drones or sending SEAL teams all over the world does not qualify as “skeet”?

36. avatarPete says:

Drudge is the man. Go look before he changes the front page.

37. avatarheboone says:

here’s a culturally diverse liberal Yankee African American skeet shooting……….fuck off

38. avatarensitu says:

All I know is that Zeke’s lips were moving again and I drew the obvious conclusion, but I would love to see him with a loaded gun in his hands IGOTD

39. avatarpat says:

And I shall keep my guns to shoot corrupt gov officials who try to enforce a potential future gun ban thrue confiscation. You Barry, can shoot skeet (or hunt) all the time, if you wish.

• avatarpat says:

The key is, if gov officials ignore the Constitution and become the organ of a corrupt state, the Republic would no longer exist. This is what the ‘so called’ assault weapons are for, to keep a future gov in check. Lets hope that day never comes and resolve issues peacefully.