Obama Looks to End-Run Congress on Gun Control

“My understanding is the vice president’s going to provide a range of steps that we can take to reduce gun violence. Some of them will require legislation, some of them I can accomplish through executive action. And so I will be reviewing those today, and as I said, I will speak in more detail to what we’re going to go ahead and propose later in the week. But I’m confident that there are some steps that we can take that don’t require legislation and that are within my authority as president, and where you get a step that, has the opportunity to reduce the possibility of gun violence, then I want to go ahead and take it.”

comments

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I’m not sure he can state his intentions much more clearly than that, except to say, “Here’s what I’m doing, right now.”

2. avatar Mr aNINNYmouse says:

H Y P O C R I T E!!!

3. avatar Powers says:

Great, I was worried for a sec there..he said that all the buying was because of fear ginned up by some about them coming to take our guns..whew..they wont take them. They will just be legislated away. Much better… I have no idea why they just do not come out and tell the truth. They want to take them,get rid of them, control them, whatever. It is pretty clear. Nobody falls for this do they?

1. avatar Joke & Dagger says:

Are you kidding Powers? Did you miss the last two Presidential elections. This is the crap the majority of voting Americans prefer. Better get used to it. Much more to come. He is not even halfway done.

4. avatar ryan says:

I don’t think the title “Obama To Use Executive Orders for Civilian Disarmament” corresponds to what the President said in the conference. My prediction is he is will mandate a national background check and let the states decided on AWB/MAG bans.

1. avatar Mr aNINNYmouse says:

And many of those will rush to kiss his ass by instating what he can’t federally so they can get federal dollars…..

2. avatar William says:

There IS a National Background Check, you Nincompoop!! It would be nice if you came here knowing what you are talking about.

1. avatar Molon Labe says:

+10

2. avatar DonS says:

If your comment was directed at ‘ryan’, I suspect that ‘ryan’ was referring to a federally-mandated background check for all firearm transfers. That’s not what exists today.

3. avatar Pascal says:

I believe he means eliminating the so called “gun show loophole” meaning the end of private sales without a background check.

Once again, this would not have stopped the shooter in Newtown because he shot his mother and then stole her guns. I would like to know what law would have stopped that. He could have easily shot his mother, then shot his neighbor and stolen his guns. Tell me, what law would have stopped what happened?

1. avatar DonS says:

It wouldn’t have stopped the shooter in Aurora, either.

3. avatar Joke & Dagger says:

I needed a good laugh. What part of Obama does anything he wants do you not understand?

1. avatar JoshinGA says:

Mr. Steve Stockman from Texas is quickly becoming my favorite politician.

1. avatar Rabbi says:

I called his office and thanked him. I suggest that we all do.
        202-225-1555

2. avatar In Memphis says:

I think Ill make that phone call and thank him.

Hypothetical question, if Obama was impeached doesnt Biden taken over? Do we want that? Would it really be better?

1. avatar JoshinGA says:

Biden is truly the village idiot. At best its a marginal improvement. Worst is a push.

2. avatar Mr. Pierogie says:

Well it would at least send a strong signal that the 2A is not something he should be messing with. So on that issue alone I think it would help, not sure about everything else.

1. avatar In Memphis says:

Good points Josh and Mr. P

I dont think it is useless to impeach, I just dont know what it would accomplish.

3. avatar CA_Chris says:

Isn’t Boehner 3rd in line for the presidency?

5. avatar James R says:

Looks our country is now a police state.

6. avatar JSIII says:

Good luck getting my guns Mr. Fed…

7. avatar WC says:

Where did you get that title? Are you just trying to push people’s panic button?

1. avatar NervyPhuck says:

OMG! It’s a journalist! Alarmist! And, with misleading titles!

yeah i’d say the title is bulls*it.

8. avatar Leo338 says:

He blames some people in the media for creating a fear that leads to us thinking they are coming for our guns. Stating he will use EO has nothing to do with it? What are we supposed to think POS Obama when you say you will use an EO, that you will make them cheaper? More available? Every time this guy speaks it makes me sick. What is more sickening are the people that voted for this POS.

9. avatar MotoJB says:

Where do you come up with that title? where does he say he’s pursuing civilian disarmament?? Hope he doesn’t try to push an AW or >10 round mag ban.

1. avatar Joke & Dagger says:

Keep hoping all you want Moto, but black guns and big mags are just the first two items on a very long list.

10. avatar 32x20 says:

What law can he cite to issue an EO restricting gun rights? According to what I’m reading an EO cannot be a law on its own but must further an existing law.

The only thing I can think of is making the NICS check universal, but that seems like it’d violate state’s rights (no interstate commerce involved in those transactions).

1. avatar Joke & Dagger says:

Dream on 32 with your mad amateur lawyering skills. This President does what this President wants.

32X30 raises an interesting point. See United States v. Lopez for the first case since the New Deal to rule than Congress had exceeded its Commerce Clause authority when it enacted the original Gun Free School Zones Act. Congress later reauthorized the law and added some bullsh!t commerce language to make it look Constitutional. The 9th Circuit case of MSSA v. Holder also bears watching. It will test the power of a state to regulate purely intrastate (as opposed to interstate) commerce.

The unanswered question is, once something moves in commerce, does it remain under federal authority forever? And how much interstate “stuff” incorporated into an object is required to make something subject to Federal power?

Obama does what Obama wants because he’s the one to rule us all. But can he make it stick? Tune in next week for the next exciting episode of “Feds Gone Wild.”

11. avatar Swarf says:

Quite the sensationalist bullshit title there, Mr. Farago.

1. avatar William says:

And civilian disarmament ISN’T sensational?

2. avatar Bill says:

How do you figure? He clearly stated he will use EOs to get what he wants. Is English your second language or are you a victim of the public school system?

12. avatar freeport56 says:

I think the Democrats are in the process of finding out the ‘True’ meaning of the 2nd Amendment! I never thought I would see a Dictatorship evolve in the U.S.! Two words; MOLON LABE!

1. avatar Molon Labe says:

I’m all in.

I never thought I would see a Dictatorship evolve in the U.S.!

Why not? It worked for Lincoln.

1. avatar WLCE says:

Well Rome was a Republic for the longest time…

(hint: it didnt always stay a Republic).

13. avatar Old Ben turning in grave says:

I always thought that EOs (if there were any) would target import of ammunition, firearms, parts, or all of the above.

14. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

Robert it is only Monday, you got to break this stuff easy on us!

15. avatar Randy Drescher says:

It’s pretty obvious that when he says “all” your guns won’t be taken away that he will go after AR’s. I just hope the fool isnt going for a confiscation ban. Well, time for the courts & getting that “safe” lever 30-06 all oiled up, Randy

16. avatar Molon Labe says:

History repeats. The rise of a Fourth Reich. The Third Reich was a legal event. Soon we will enjoy no guaranteed constitutional rights. If you think I’m nuts go back and read the history.

17. avatar eugene says:

if he really believes in gun control, he, and the rest of the political phonies, should risk career suicide for it. no cause is as worthwhile as the one you’re willing to put your wellbeing behind.

1. avatar Pascal says:

He already is a lame duck president unable to run for another term. If does some stuff via EO its all on him and the Democrates in 2014 if it backfires can blame the president and deny they had any involvement — ditto for some others like Rockafeller who already announced he is stepping down in 2014. They risk nothing. In heavy democratic states he will be seen as a hero.

18. avatar Mike Wasdin says:

Sandy Hook AR-15 Hoax? Still No School Surveillance Footage Released

Actually, the gun found in the trunk was not the AR-15, it was a shotgun or other bolt-action rifle. Here is footage, and you can see the officer working the weapon in a way that clearly is not the manner of an AR-15.

1. avatar Chris from Iowa says:

It appears to be some sort of Saiga shotgun. It looks like he works the side AK style charging handle and a chambered shell drops into the trunk.

19. avatar schizuki says:

I’m still betting that he’s going to get semi-autos classified as Class III so he can collect that sweet, sweet $200-per transfer tax.

1. avatar In Memphis says:

If he does that, I wouldnt be surprised if the price is raised above $200

20. avatar Silver says:

To all you people complaining about the original title: Do you honestly think Obama and the rest of the progressive disease in this country aren’t working toward civilian disarmament, especially through illegal and “executive” means? I bet you’re the same types who will let out a sigh of relief when your overlords “only” ban ARs and high cap mags, ignorant of the concept of incrementalism.

1. avatar Milsurp Collector says:

What annoys me the most is that the fence-sitters think the antis will just quit after mag caps and the awb. They tell me to stop worrying because I don’t own anything semi-auto or “high capacity”. They refuse to believe the antis will come for Grandpa Leeroy’s Remchesterby 7000 or Uncle Bob’s over-under Beretta. If that isn’t a blissful ignorance I don’t know what is.

1. avatar Bill says:

If they can get the so – called “assault weapons”, and they are trying to get them, and in some States, everything not single shot, then they will come for the “long distance sniper rifles”. This is their long term plan, like the idiot Holder said; we need to brainwash people into thinking guns are NOT cool.

21. avatar Lars says:

Obama cannot use executive order to ban firearms or firearm accessories or ammo. Read up on what executive order is and does before you spout off nonsense. It’s a game, Obama can say anything to incite or threaten the pro-gun lobby, but in the end executive order will not and cannot be used for gun control. Mr. Farago I think would know this.

22. avatar Totenglocke says:

I love how he and other gun grabbers can keep a straight face while claiming that they want to reduce “gun violence” when what they mean is they want to reduce legal gun ownership.