New from Ruger: 22/45 Lite Rimfire Pistol

“No other 22 LR pistol provides the feel of the classic 1911 pistol with the proven reliability and value of the Ruger® 22/45™ pistols,” the Arizona-based gunmaker asserts on the product page. I know I suffer from Late Onset Attention Deficiency Disorder but isn’t that a SIG SAUER 1911-22 in my gun safe? It’s been perfectly reliable and it costs $419 (vs. the Ruger’s $500 msrp). Never mind. It’s always nice to welcome a new newbie’s firearm into the fold, assuming, as we kinda somewhat have to, that this isn’t just a rejigged MK III. And, unlike the SIG, the Ruger 22/45′s slide doesn’t. Slide that is. And that’s a good thing: “Internal cylindrical bolt construction ensures permanent alignment and higher accuracy potential than conventional moving-slide designs.” Or a bad thing; if you’re shooting a 1911-style .22 to train how to run a more expensive .45-caliber 1911. Anyway, what’s not to like about an optic-ready 22.8-ounce .22 available with a threaded barrel [shown above]? Other than [maybe] the mag disconnect and the beer logo on the side . . .

About Robert Farago

32 Responses to New from Ruger: 22/45 Lite Rimfire Pistol

1. avatarJohnny says:

I liked to old champagne color scheme better.

2. avatarMatt in FL says:

Am I the only one that finds these guns totally unattractive? The champagne colored ones were kinda neat, I suppose, but still… they just always looked so… hybridized or something. Not good, in any case.

3. avatarAlphaGeek says:

Great, now Ruger is acting like General Motors by “badge engineering” their products to market them. As RF strongly implies, this is clearly a Mark III with different sheet metal.

Ugh. Grips and mag release do not a 1911 make. I might be willing to cut them some slack if they’d put a 1911-style sliding trigger in, but no, instead they insult our intelligence by marketing a perfectly nice 22 pistol with a pivoting trigger as having the “feel of the classic 1911″. Sorry, no: the trigger alone makes this false advertising.

• avatarDon says:

Uh . . . Alpha

I hate to break it to you but the plastic framed 22/45 has been around since 1993. All that’s new here is that it’s a lightweight variant. Ruger hasn’t just decided to “badge engineer” anything.

4. avatarJeff O. says:

I’ve got non-lite version of the 22/45 with a threaded barrel, and I love it.

I didn’t love it as much when it had the magazine disconnect, which I fixed by replacing a bushing in gun. Doing so made the trigger even better.

I put a TacSol compensator on it, and it’s a tack driver.

I don’t really understand the need for a “lite” version, or why they billboard it so horribly.

5. avatarCurzen says:

I’m slightly more interested by the addition of an LCR in .22 Magnum

6. avatarOHgunner says:

My 13 year old cousin received one of these for Christmas that is stainless. He loves it. The threaded barrel is a cherry on top of a very reliable and capable target gun.

But… A 1911 it is not. Bad marketing by Ruger

7. avatarBruce says:

Perhaps if people learn to shoot with this, they will be eager to upgrade to a 1911 later, thinking the 45 is its big brother.

8. avatarSaul Feldstein says:

The 22/45 is my least fave 22, the grip really feels nothing like a 1911.

Buckmark rules the day.

9. avatarJoe Grine says:

Just as an FYI, GSG makes the Sig Sauer gun referenced above, and also produces the same pistol under its own name. I reviewed the GSG 1911 .22 here: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/joe-grine/gun-review-german-sport-guns-gsg-1911-22/

• avatarPascal says:

I love my GSG-1911 and I have 3 of them :-)

One for range practice, one for trekking in the woods and one I use in my Firearm safety course live fire portion. I wish I could get a few bucks everytime someone has gone through my class and then has choosen to also purchase a GSG-1911.

Wish they would update it a bit to some new components and release a new model.

• avatartdiinva says:

I bought one as soon as it came out. My typical range session is a box of expensive 45 and 250 rounds out of my SIG branded GSG.

I am running a little experiment with it. After each session I swab the barrel and clean the chamber. I am up to 1050 rounds with no problems. I am going to see if I can get to 2000 rounds before I field strip it.

10. avatarlolinski says:

Couldn’t they have also fluted it under the rear sight, just before the ejection port? It could make it even lighter.

11. avatarMarkS says:

The Ruger 22/45 has been around for a couple decades, so this is not a “new” gun, but an update of an old one.

12. avatarmatt says:

Its not really optic ready if it doesnt come with a rail. And more pistols need to come with cut slides (or barrels in this case) for a MRDS that will cowitness with the BUIS.

• avatarnonnamous says:

My 22/45 came with a rail and the necessary screws for attaching it. It’s just not attached stock, but takes 5 min out of the box to do so.

13. avatarSwarf says:

On the subject of .22 pistols: Whatever you guys do, don’t buy the Chiappa/Puma 1911-22. It is a total POS. I had to send mine out after the barrel bushing broke in half and sent my mainspring and rod down range.

Not only did they act like I was an asshole for their gun breaking, they took two months to get it back to me.

That’s the only gun of the dozen that I now have since I got in to shooting a few years ago that I regret buying.

Just a PSA.

• avatarnonnamous says:

I shot my buddies, at least 2 jams every magazine. Usually most rounds jammed.

• avatarSwarf says:

Yup. It’s a great trainer for how to deal with FTE’s and jams.

First gun I ever bought. Should have just gotten a Mk2. But I wanted something cooler looking.

Looks real cool sitting in my safe being an embarrassment.

• avatarAlphaGeek says:

Also, you should probably stop shooting your buddies. It’s a good thing for you that it jammed when it did.

14. avatarRalph says:

What we really need is a pistol that uses no ammo — because right now, there ain’t none available.

• avatarAlphaGeek says:

This weekend I had the sad duty of informing my kids that range time will be restricted to shotgun and .177 air rifle until future notice. After a respectful moment of silence they used this opportunity to lobby for a fresh delivery of airsoft ammo from Amazon, and an expanded set of targets for the back yard. Opportunistic little beasts…

15. avatarAM says:

I’m pretty sure Ruger is Connecticut based.

• avatarPascal says:

What is left in CT is Corporate and LEO sales. They are a shell of there former selves in CT. Most of the real work is done in NH and AZ.

16. avatarGreg Camp says:

I got one a while ago out of nostalgia–it was like the pistol that I qualified on for my first carry license. It’s a beautiful piece, but be aware that step six or seven in the disassembly process listed in the manual says, at this point, you may need a hammer.

Yup.

17. avatarDarth Mikey says:

I’ve got the non-Lite version. Not really much in common with a 1911 except the safety’s position (but not shape). It’s not a bad gun, comfy to shoot, but you have to slam the mags home hard or they don’t seat right (great tap-rack-bang practice), you can’t easily unlock the slide with an empty mag inserted (too stiff), and after fourteen years, I still need the manual to reassemble the thing (and it won’t stay assembled until I rack the bolt once). I just got an SR22 which is much nicer to maintain (but damn that mag safety).

18. avatarcounihan says:

I’m a huge 22/45 fan. I have a worked over stainless hunter with the 6″ bull barrel. Drop the mag disconnect safety and LCI, swap the fire components with Volquartsen parts and it’s a bowling pin wrecking machine.
    this hideous thing defeats one of the best characteristics of a MK3. The standard model on up are heavy for a 22. My bull barreled anchor absorbs what little recoil the rimfire has.