New from Ed Brown: Skip-Line Checkering

I’m really just doing this to annoy Nick. The fact that Ed Brown Products is offering their over-exposed (photographically speaking) Executive Elite Mega CEO Big Swinging You-Know-What Custom 1911 with a new kind of checkering is exactly the kind of non-news news that drives our Gun Test and Reviews editor crazy. But, as Homer Simpson might say, shiny! [Close-up after the jump.] You pays your money—$2745—you wait five months. Minimum.

About Robert Farago

34 Responses to New from Ed Brown: Skip-Line Checkering

1. avatarjwm says:

The way the gun rush is going now 2745 bucks and a 5 month wait period may seem like the good old days very soon.

• avatarAlphaGeek says:

I don’t see how this pricing or delivery timeline is at all changed from pre-scare days. Maybe an extra month or two, but multiple months of delay and a $3K pricetag seem like table stakes for the “mass-market custom 1911″ category.

2. avatarmountocean says:

I hit refresh 14 times for THIS?

3. avatarRandy Drescher says:

Thats nice, are there earrings to with it? Randy

4. avatarOkieRim says:

I guess any federal legislation that limits rounds in a mag will drive more people to these nicer .45′s…2745 might be cheap compared to later this year.

• avatarCarrymagnum says:

I swore if they passed their laws I was gunna trade in some pistols for a nice 1911 and open carry that bitch from that day forward.

• avatarWhilemyTZgentlyweeps says:

Well, if they decide to restrict detachable magazines on semi-auto handguns perhaps we will see a resurgence in the manufacture of the fixed magazine, stripper clip fed, c96 Mauser. Invariably, Kel-Tec would design a new, if somewhat rough, version of the c96 with a polymer receiver that Ruger would subsequently improve upon.

But seriously, I carry an RIA Compact 1911 (officers). It is, at the end of the day, and despite all the arguments about what is better – Glock or 1911, reliable, lethal and an effective piece of hardware that pulls my pants down despite an $80 belt. Therein lies the problem. If we give in on the various bans, it just gives disarmament advocates entry to come back later and say “ooops, did we mean 10 rounds, we meant 5.”

5. avatardavid says:

…and it’s Malcolm Reynolds (or one of his crew) who says, Shiny!

6. avatarjwm says:

Am I the only one that looks at that checkering and thinks , Cheese Grater.

7. avatarRalph says:

My philosophy: a hundred-dollar shine on a three-dollar pair of shoes.
    “Stripes” (1981)

8. avataruhoh says:

I don’t get the attraction to high end 1911s. Probably because I’ve never shot or even handled one. If I had higher income maybe I’d be all over them. But as a CZ fanboy, I look at my prized collection of Czech firearms and wonder, “can one 1911 be worth the price of 5 or 6 of these wonderful guns?”

• avatarTR says:

I’m with you on that. I have a $400 RIA 1911 that shoots better than any 1911 I’ve seen, and I’ve got some buddies who love Colts, Springfields, and Kimbers. While they’re clearing FTE’s and stovepipes, I’m happily pounding away at everything from Blazer to Tulammo. Added some $30 Pachmayr grips and it even looks better than some of theirs :)

• avatarWhilemyTZgentlyweeps says:

I agree. While it is very utilitarian looking, my RIA Compact, without checking of any kind (although I have very aggressive grips) is reliable. Now, maybe it might last as long, but it feeds the ammo I give it and, frankly, when I am out and about with a flush fitting Kimber 7 round mag and a Chip McCormick 8 rounder in my pocket, I feel ready to handle any DGU that may come my way for, all told, thousands of dollars less than an Ed Brown.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I would pay for a Les Baer if I didn’t have to pay for my mortgage, heating oil, food, ammo, and cheap vodka.

9. avatarMatt in FL says:

There’s no denying it’s beautiful, but for some reason I just still don’t want one.

Unless it’s free. If it’s free, it’s for me.

10. avatarKirk says:

Well, in California, I can wait until the State breaks off and floats out to sea, as it will never be available here. Laid hands on a Kobra Carry 18 months ago. No offense to Ed Brown, but the Springfield Armory Micro shoots better (and with no bite).

Btw, guys: If we cede one Right, we lose them all: http://guardamerican.com/index.php/blog/35-politics/425-if-one-right-falls-they-all-do.

A coordinated, Big Push was unveiled today.

11. avatarDon says:

Reminds me of the look of one of my favorite silk ties after I ruined it by pulling a loose string.

12. avatarPatrick says:

Untill some one show me what pricey checkering does make there guns shoot bettter than all other 1911. I agree with Nick on this AAAAARGH!

13. avatarMoonshine says:

$2750? LOLnope!

14. avatarGov. William J. Le Petomane says:

The 1911 is to firearms what Harley Davidson is to motorcycles. They’re made of steel instead of more sensible materials like aluminum and plastic, so they’re overweight and expensive. They are constantly coming up with shiny new innovations that do nothing to enhance performance. The design is outdated and prone to failures. And everyone who owns one is convinced that they’ve got the best thing ever and everything else is a complete pile of sh!t.

15. avatarRopingdown says:

Executive gun? Sorry: Executive and Elite? Looks fairly pimp to me. Why not gold plate the slide? Labor shortage? A 1911 is supposed to be a bit loose, with a finish that reflects it’s been carried through tough times. I do get the point, though: One is instantly made aware that the thing isn’t a Glock.

16. avatarST says:

AaaargHH!

*thud*

“Charge Paddles!”

*muffled pop*

Ouch. Cardiac arrest from sticker shock really stings. Good thing I haven’t been to a gun show lately.Depending on what Biden says in 14 days,I might need a portable unit.

• avatarjwm says:

Joe Biden can say in one hand and take a dump in the other and see which one gets full fastest.

• avatarIn Memphis says:

At least one hand wont be cold. Whether its the hot air he blows from speaking to or the other, Ill let you decide lol

17. avatarIn Memphis says:

Its beautiful but even a lower end Remington 1911R1 can outshoot me so Ill have to pass.

18. avatarspeedracer5050 says:

I like checkering and 1911′s but that looks like a good drunk gone bad!!!

19. avatarJack Straw says:

Oh this is just charming…….a plaid backstrap to match my latest kilt!!!!

20. avatarWendy Weinbaum says:

As a Jewess in the US, I can only say that ANY anti-gun plan from an ignoramus
    like Slow Joe Biden or his dirty Kenyan boss is bound to be a loser idea.
    Certainly it will make all REAL Americans put our 2nd Amendment FIRST! Both