The Truth About Assault Weapons Website

I did my own version, trying to take an even-handed approach to explaining so-called “assault weapons” and the bans being proposed, but this guy went above and beyond. It may be a slightly on the “wall ‘o text” side of things, but the execution is flawless. Definitely something to bookmark next time you get into an argument over the internet.

The Truth About Assault Weapons Website

comments

1. He should break away from the slide show presentation style. Having to click next after reading every sentence or two is a good way to lose the attention of the reader and allow them to give up before fully taking in all the information.

1. avatar pk in AZ says:

I agree, this should have been done on one page!

1. avatar Brother Bear says:

Screen Record it and read along, then post it too YouTube.

2. avatar Old Ben turning in grave says:

I see your point, but spoon feeding info in bite sized chunks is probably perfect here. If you just presented a wall of text, fewer people would actually read it. Of course, so many people have been brain-washed into automatically dismissing any info that doesn’t come from NYT/MSNBC/CNN etc. that it’s an uphill slog regardless.

3. avatar g says:

But it’s perfect for people who browse websites with a mobile device, like a phone or iPad.

Sometimes, simple is more… especially when some people will immediately ignore a “wall of text.” By forcing someone to read it line by line, the website drives home some solid, rational points.

1. avatar Kat says:

I agree, being dyslexic, sometimes it a chore to read an article that goes on and on. Have already emailed link to family and friends.

Since I’m mostly pistols and revolvers owner, really
        did not know much about “assault weapons” found it very interesting. Anybody have DifFi’s email? , would love to send it to her, to allay her fear of scary black rifles.

4. avatar Don says:

I like the slide show. Could have used more pictures though.

2. avatar Aharon says:

TTAAW is a great site. Kudos to the man who created it. He is an excellent communicator and educator.

3. avatar AlphaGeek says:

That’s getting posted to my Facebook page today. Awesome. Love the presentation style.

1. avatar g says:

+1 Same here. Going to definitely posting this to FB, especially since most people my age have problems reading anything “long” (meaning: longer than a paragraph).

I like that it goes line by line.

4. avatar pk in AZ says:

Nick, yours is much better!

5. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

Simple but effective. This is important if you find yourself in front of a camera.
    You need to condense things down to a single sound bytes, that makes sense.

1. avatar WA_2A says:

+1. Especially since the most representation I’ve seen on TV of the Gun Rights movement these days is on Piers Morgan show, and if your argument is too wordy “Piss Moron” is likely to interrupt you.

6. avatar Lance says:

Make a link at every post Nick!

7. avatar USMCVeteran says:

I submit to you that since Dianne Feinstein is “scary looking” she herself could be considered an “assault weapon”.

1. avatar Gregolas says:

LOL!+1 on Feinstein.
      I thought the presentation was excellent for”low info voters” and those on the fence who don’t know any of these facts or even which end of the tube the round exits.
      Thanks Nick!

8. avatar David W. says:

I wrote my reps for today already, have you guys?

Send something to them daily.

Some reps are already saying they are hearing from pro-gun people at a 9 to 1 ratio. That ratio should be 20 to 1. Or 100 to 1. We outnumber them so much that if we all write, they will have to listen to us and voice themselves against any gun control or be drowned in phone calls and crushed by letters.

1. avatar Kat says:

Good idea! Will include link on next one.

9. avatar Mini-14 says:

That website, however true it is, makes me want to throw my $2000 PC out into the snow. WTF were they thinking with that interface? I am not an iphone-using hipster, please design websites rationally. My eyes hurt :/

10. avatar gloomhound says:

I think the website is perfect as viewed from a PC.

11. avatar WA_2A says:

Wow. This website is fantastic. If it goes viral I think it’s safe to say it’ll cripple most of the gun control agenda such as an AWB (neutered OR the “DiFi nuclear option”) as well as any restrictions on magazine capacity. Beautiful.

The more pageviews and attention this gets, the likelier it is to be mentioned on other blogs, newspapers, and even on TV. If this gets even half the attention Cpl. Boston’s letter did, the gun rights movement will be much better off for it. It’s time people actually knew what assault weapons are.

12. avatar An American Citizen says:

I’m the creator “The Truth About Assault Weapons”. I want to say thanks to Nick for helping to get the word out. I sent the URL to Robert and crew hoping to get some feedback. They did better than that by sending a ton of traffic.

As far as complaints about the format go, I’ll be the first to admit that some people would rather read a long-form article (Nick’s is fantastic). I’m actually among those people. But I also recognized that different people have different attention spans, and that the slide show format does have certain educational advantages.

It’s very easy to read on an iPad, for example, and considering how intertwined mobile platforms and social media are these days, a tablet-friendly format seemed like a wise choice. Gun prohibitionists have spent years indoctrinating the public about “assault weapons”, so it was important to get this in front of as many eyeballs as possible. Social media is currently the most frictionless way to do that.

In any case, consider this version 0.1. I’m open to suggestions that will make the material clearer and ideally even more concise. Thanks for the kind words and also the constructive criticism.

1. avatar Rab says:

Thanks for producing that! How about a link on the first page that goes to a column view? This way, both options are available and the reader can choose.

2. avatar Rybred says:

I think it’s actually perfect in its layout because of the simplicity.
      The people who prefer long formats (like myself) ALREADY KNOW and/or have looked up this info. Keep it simple so I can simply paste that link to the average persons who have been indoctrinated by the media.
      One suggestion i have is to please insert right after “assault weapon” term invention page that LEGALLY it could be a coffee mug, spatula, brick or anything that could be used to threaten someone with. But by marrying the term to certain firearms, it makes it appear that their ONLY purpose is to “assault” innocent people with, which contains useful political value.

No need to get into what the “assault” in assault rifle actually means or what AR stands for, that’s too much detail but i think it’s important to highlight that the term is used to get peoples emotions involved and has no proper definition.

also 45-60 rds per sec is too slow perhaps you could say:
      “The AR-15 can fire NO FASTER than other semi-automatic firearms, and pales in comparison to fully automatic weapons, some of which can fire in excess of 1,000 rounds per minute. Do you know anybody that can pull a trigger that quickly?”

13. avatar ensitu says:

Never let a Meme go to waste!
    2.0 for us FOWGs

14. avatar gabba says:

The AR-15 can fire between 45 and 60 rounds per minute depending on the skill of the operator.

this is a lie. a normal person can pull the trigger more than once per second.

1. avatar Rybred says:

yeah i would agree, maybe rather than saying a number i would put it as “The AR-15 can fire NO FASTER than other semi-automatic firearms, and pales in comparison to fully automatic weapons, some of which can fire in excess of 1,000 rounds per minute. Do you know anybody that can pull a trigger a thousand times in one minute?”

15. avatar malaysia says:

What’s up, every time i used to check webpage posts here early in the morning, for the reason that i like to learn more and more.

16. avatar Yeezy Sale says:

Just to follow up on the up-date of this topic on your site and would wish to let you
    know simply how much I liked the time you took to produce this valuable post.

In the post, you actually spoke regarding how to
    definitely handle this challenge with all comfort. It
    would be my personal pleasure to collect some more thoughts from your web
    site and come up to offer other individuals what I have
    learned from you. I appreciate your usual great effort.

17. you are in point of fact a excellent webmaster.
    The website loading pace is amazing. It kind of feels that you are
    doing any distinctive trick. In addition, The contents are masterwork.

you have performed a magnificent process in this
    topic!

18. avatar Joe3 says:

That’s a Great website to send journalists to, but many of the source links are broken and I didn’t see a link to contact the site owner.