“New” from Ruger: 10/22 Takedown with Threaded Barrel, SR-556 Varmint

I know, try to contain yourselves. The excitement is palpable. The 10/22 Takedown will now come with a threaded barrel, with an A2-style flash hider attached from the factory. Oh, and its black. Don’t get me wrong, its really cool and great for slapping that can on your rifle, but incremental changes leave me feeling a little “meh.” Also on the incremental change bandwagon, an update to the SR-556 . . .

Which now has a heavy, longer barrel in stainless steel. Great for increased accuracy and velocity, not so great for stealthy stuff. The trigger is still pretty good, though.

Stay tuned, I’ve got a 10/22 Takedown sitting at my FFL when I get home.

About Nick Leghorn

20 Responses to “New” from Ruger: 10/22 Takedown with Threaded Barrel, SR-556 Varmint

1. avatartron says:

That really pisses me off, because I just bought one of the first takedown models with no threads. I wonder if I can buy the barrel assembly.

• avatarMatt in FL says:

They’re rare enough still that I bet you could flip it for very nearly what you paid for it.

• avatartron says:

I’ve never even shot it. I can sell it and then be able to not find the new one anywhere.

• avatarmike says:

Then buy the threaded model first. Almost sure you’ll have no problem flipping a profit on the non-threaded stainless version.

• avatarAharon says:

Place yours on an auction site and call it a tactical assault 10/22 made for special ops.

• avatarMatt in FL says:

Be sure to add the line “BANNED IN NEW YORK”

That’ll bring some attention.

• avatarJustaThought says:

These have been available to pre-order through Davidson’s since November.
      However the photos ‘@ Galleryofguns’ show a stainless barrel. The A2 just looks ridiculous I wish they would of just shipped them with a knurled thread protector, I will be taking that silly thing off of mine immediately.

• avatarJarrett says:

I personally like the looks of the flash suppressor, but aesthetics aside, the OD of the flash suppressor is a perfect tight fit for a 20 oz, coke bottle opening. Some subsonics and a coke bottle and you can shoot in your basement without hearing protection, and your wife will sit 10′ above you watching her stupid shows on TV and never know what you’re doing…….

• avatarBob says:

If you’re in Central Texas, put it on TexasGunTrader.com, I’ll buy it from you.

• avatarIdahoPete says:

Or take it to your local gunsmith and see what he would charge you to thread the existing barrel.

2. avatarMatt in FL says:

I liked the Takedown already. Very interested to see your review.

3. avatarDavid W. says:

Next year at Shot Show Ruger will have a 16 inch internally suppressed 10/22 takedown. (I’m just guessing >_>)

The 10/22 is quickly turning into the AR15 of the rimfire world…

How long until you can walk into your local gun store and pick up a 10/22 receiver you can turn into any type of gun you want?

4. avatarGyufygy says:

10/22 Takedown = <3

The only thing I dislike about mine is the short LOP and maybe the tiny front sight dot. I love it, otherwise.

I'm also a nubcake and haven't shot many .22s, so take it with a grain of salt.

5. avatarLC Judas says:

I was wondering why this gun wasn’t threaded. My dumb ass has a Sig 522 on order for threaded barrel needs. May still get it. Seems like it could’ve been here already.

6. avatart says:

You can have yours threaded.Most gunsmiths charge about 75dollars for that.