New from Chiappa: Little Badger Folding Skeletonized Rimfire Rifle

Chiappa has all sorts of interesting stuff this year. In addition to their triple barreled shotgun, they’re showing off a rifle designed specifically for new shooters. The Little Badger is a folding rimfire rifle that is little more than a wire frame stock and a barrel, and folds in half to an overall length of a little over 16 inches. The single shot break action gun seems to function perfectly, with an easy to open action and a pretty nice trigger, and clocks in around $169.

The Man says its perfect for throwing in a backpack for camping, or in your private plane for survival hunting, or just giving to your child for their first gun. And since the thing is threaded 1/2-28, it is ready from the factory to take the silencer of your choice. The handguards are simply four standard Picatinny rails, meaning you can mount just about any small optic or other gubbins to the rifle to customize it to your requirements.

Its a nifty idea, and something I would definitely consider for my bug out bag, but for simply plinking around the range a Ruger 10/22 might still be king. We’ll see.

About Nick Leghorn

31 Responses to New from Chiappa: Little Badger Folding Skeletonized Rimfire Rifle

1. avatarJP in Tennessee says:

I like it. I want one.

2. avatarOHgunner says:

Is it single shot or mag fed? I see what looks like a 10/22-esque magazine release just forward of the trigger guard, but don’t see a magazine anywhere?

3. avatarNathan says:

It looks like it’s single shot. I would still prefer a 10/22 Takedown meself.

4. avatarCameron S. says:

Is that a mag release in front of the trigger guard, or is this thing a single shot?

5. avatarensitu says:

It’s got rails!

6. avatarBrennan says:

That’s pretty sweet

7. avatarSwarf says:

If you own bolt cutters, it’s got a one way adjustable stock.

8. avatarAharon says:

It might be an ok survival bug-out gun. I would not buy it for a child’s first gun; the thing is hideous for a young boy or girl. For a child’s first gun I would buy a small simple single-shot blot-action with a real stock and forearm in a kid’s color. I find intriguing (though I wouldn’t buy it either) the gun below the Little Badger also marked ‘New’.

From Chiappa’s site:
    “DOUBLE BADGER Over & Under rifle cal. .22LR/.410
    Item Number: 500-097
    Over&Under foldable rifle, with two different calibers (one barrel caliber .22LR and one barrel caliber .410). Folds to 19″ total length. Adjustable fiber optic rear sight, drilled and tapped for modern scope bases.”

9. avatarSwarf says:

Now that is more interesting, Aharon. Except it’s still a Chiappa.

I like the tri-barreled 12 gauge shotstrocity looming menacingly over the kiddie guns in the background.

10. avatarjwm says:

A lightweight all metal folding .22 with peep sights. For less than 2 bills. To hell with the kids, I want one. Why can’t they slap a .410 barrel under the .22. I would want either one.

11. avatarLemming says:

The return of the “bicycle rifle!” Nifty.

12. avatarTTACer says:

On the list of firearms related things I care about, Chiappa ranks somewhere near the VPC’s take on what point someone in their mid-20s is no longer classified as a child.

13. avatarahil925 says:

Not super keen on the quad-rails, but I must admit I am highly attracted to this little thing.

Looking closer though, why the hell is there a rail behind the trigger guard and why is does the reciever need to be so damned thick there too? Looks pretty damned uncomfortable to hold now…

• avatarReverend says:

Because if you wanted to put a grip on it? You can use any of the the grips they make for Picatinny rails.

I was thinking the one with a hollow handle, and a cleaning kit would be nifty.

Shoot! Put paracord around the stock, and that thing gets a bit nifty there!

14. avatarFrank says:

Now, I don’t exactly see why there is a pic. rail behind the trigger guard, right where your trigger hand is grabbing. I guess to attach a vertical grip, but I don’t know of any vertical grips that would serve well in that purpose. Anyone else?

• avatarNathan says:

Maybe a pistol grip, like you sometimes put on the forend on a 12 gauge? I think they make some of those that have the proper angle and are rail attachable. You’re right though, a straight vertical grip would suck there.

15. avatarWilliam says:

See, kids? That’s innovation! Guys built a working gun from paper clips.

16. avatar"lee n. field" says:

It looks like a turn of the last century kid’s gun.

17. avatarRalph says:

Neat — a stock made from wire coat hangars. I’m sure that Joan Crawford would approve.

18. avatarBarstow Cowboy says:

Is it tactical? It’s all black, but it doesn’t specify if it’s a tactical assault weapon. I’d need to know that before I spent money on it.

Actually, it looks like one of those things you use to stir the logs in a fireplace.

19. avatarscottlac says:

Since it has a folding stock, does that make it an “assault weapon”? It has a “shoulder thing that goes up”.

20. avatarJohnny says:

This is Obama’s vision of the only gun civilians should be allowed to own.

21. avatargamekeeper says:

I like the idea of a basic single shot survival rifle for bug out bags and such but what is the little badger made of aluminium or steel ? and can those cheap plastic sights be changed to something more robust ?.

22. avatarWood says:

I’d like to see it accept AR-15 buffer tubes/stocks, grips, and rails.

23. This looks like a really good idea for a small carry arm in your pack. I wonder if it is depenable and will last for more than a few rounds put thru it? many good ideas have fallen by the wayside due to poor manufacturing techniques.