New from Black Rain Ordnance: CNC Milled AK-47

Black Rain Ordnance is one of those companies that makes interesting stuff and we’ve been after for T&E samples FOREVER, but the rifles never seem to make it to my FFL. Needless to say, endurance is the name of the game. Anyway, BRO was showing off their new prototype AK-47 that is completely 100% CNC machined. Well, except the barrel and bolt. Everything on the outside is CNC machined, we’ll say. It increases accuracy and makes the gun feel a whole lot better constructed, but then again it also now more closely resembles a brick. Needless to say, its going on the T&E request list.

comments

1. avatar Alex G. says:

That look so different from a standard AK, I couldn’t call it one.

2. avatar Rokurota says:

I dunno. It makes me kinda want an AK. I always hated that cheesy safety lever.

3. avatar TV says:

I’m more or less obsessed with every kind of AK, so yeah, I’d take one.

4. avatar AnotherMatt says:

Hideous.

1. avatar Dave says:

That’s the first thing that came to mind when I saw it.
      It’s so far removed from the source I can’t remotely see it as an AK. Just make up some new name for it & say it’s chambered in 7.62x39mm. Black Rain’s MegaBloks Rifle or something…

5. avatar إبليس says:

Perfect for xenomorphs.

1. avatar In Memphis says:

Haha, I was back and forth with the pulse rifle from Aliens and the “fully automatic Bereeta” from Starship Troopers.

6. avatar Shankbone says:

Some of us aren’t in the Cool Kid Club, so we don’t know what T&E means. Care to enlighten us? 🙂

1. avatar LC Judas says:

Testing and Evaluation.

2. avatar Swarf says:

Testing and Evaluation?

Just a guess.

7. avatar Ross says:

That has to be the ugliest firearm I have ever laid eyes on.

1. avatar Swarf says:

Never seen a Glock?

*ducks*

1. avatar LC Judas says:

Unfortunate for me that, Glock fan I am, I know they ain’t pretty. But I will gladly pelt you with things for calling a spade a spade if you like. *chuckles*

2. avatar Ross says:

Yes Mate, carry one each day.

3. avatar In Memphis says:

Im not a fanboy even though my EDC is a G23 but why do people still bash the looks? Anyone ever see a HiPoint?

4. avatar William says:

No kidding. A Glock is WAY uglier than that gun.

8. avatar 16V says:

An AK is supposed to be a collection of incredibly inexpensive castings, forgings, and stampings that works well in all sorts of scenarios by virtue of that fact.

It’d be like making an MRE with a caviar a toast and points appetizer, Kobe beef lasagna, and creme brulee for dessert. Might be yummy, but so far from the original item that it has almost nothing to do with it.

1. avatar Hasdrubal says:

Agreed, but it would have been nice if they had MRE’s like that a few years ago…

On a serious note, very curious if they tightened the tolerances inside to get rid of the classic AK reliability.

1. avatar 16V says:

MREs are better than ever! Of course, so are the treatment regimens for HIV. Probably still want to avoid both if possible.

I love a finely tuned, Olympic-grade, sub MOA piece as much as the next guy. I appreciate quality craftsmanship. I also appreciate that Ferraris are generally rather not much for off-roading, and sometimes one should be driving a Toyota Hilux.

9. avatar mblakely says:

As if every CNC machine in the industry is not already running 24-7 right now…

10. avatar Silver says:

Wow, that thing’s so ugly I think I just became a bit of an anti.

11. avatar eugene says:

i wonder how much it weighs vs. a standard AK. That does look like a brick

12. avatar Benny says:

That is one ugly gun.
    But for some reason I still want it…..
    It must be my insatiable lust for things that go boom

13. avatar okto says:

It looks like someone tried to build an AK5 by looking at a picture of it.

14. avatar Crunkleross says:

The original AK47 was CNC. CommunistNannyConstructed

15. avatar cherida2013 says:

my friend’s mother-in-law makes $77 hourly on the laptop. She has been laid off for nine months but last month her pay was $17045 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site FAB33.COM_only

16. avatar SD3 says:

People don’t buy 50,000$ Hondas. They buy 15,000$ Hondas.
    Because they’re good cars *and* they’re inexpensive.

17. avatar Tim says:

It seems to me that rifle takes everything that is awesome about an AK and ruins it.

1. avatar bontai Joe says:

I agree, the #1 point of the AK design is the loose tolerances allow for extreme reliability. Ok, it’s not a tack driver kind of rifle, but fully capable of center of bad guy accuracy. This looks like the are trying to make a match rifle out of the design, might as well get an AR and call it done.

1. avatar Alliedcries says:

Yoh mean “center of good guy accuracy” considering who the original rifle was designed,manufactured and mass produced to shoot at.

18. avatar BADDFROGG says:

This Black Rain Ordnance AK Proto type is one beautiful piece of engineering. Plus. made in the good old USA. I can’t wait until they start sending out samples of this rifle. I can only hope they put a good muzzle brake on it to make it look more sexy/ plus, better performance. And not using your typical AR flash hider.
    Also, to keep that prototype MagPul stock on it. I hope they manufacture it to use standard AK magazines and not proprietary. Like the Robinson Arms XCR, which is an incredible design and a beautiful piece of engineering. Made in the USA. But just too proprietary in the AK rendition. Cheers.
    That way you sell more toys to the public. It is after all marketing,right?

19. avatar J d l says:

How much is the weight? Will it use regular ak mags? It’s ugly but so was my last girlfriend.

20. avatar Lance says:

They’re not really going to sell that ugly piece of crap are they? Whoever designed that must be blind. Ugliest damn thing I’ve ever laid eyes on. Sites called “truth about guns” right? Ok then.