Hands On with the SIG SAUER MPX

The belle of the SIG SAUER booth is definitely the MPX, their new submachine gun that WILL INDEED be available to the civilian shooting world. And what makes that extra awesome is that the civilian version will have more in common with Optimus Prime than you’d expect . . .

That picture above is the civilian version with the gigantic and excessive muzzle brake on the front. But, as I found out, one tax stamp later and you get a screw-on sleeve that turns the thing directly into an integrally suppressed version.

I think it looks pretty awesome.

The only thing I have reservations about is that the first baffle of the muzzle brake on the civilian non-NFA version is completely enclosed within the handguard. Meaning that if your hand is on the furthest end of the handguard, you might get a little singed. The rep at the booth dismissed the idea, but I think I’ll test it out myself just to be sure.

About Nick Leghorn

31 Responses to Hands On with the SIG SAUER MPX

1. avatarMotoJB says:

Caliber?

2. avatarLLARMS says:

I believe standard pistol cartridges will be options.

I am already saving my pennies for a 9mm version.

- D

3. avatarfull.tang.halo says:

In before the ATF has it’s way with this, making that a 3 stamp gun like the AAC Honey-badger….

4. avatarAlphaGeek says:

Do want. Want NOW.

Three units chambered for 40SW and packaged in discreet travel cases, please.

5. avatarTim says:

If I lived in a place where suppressors were legal, I’d be on this because of how you can get the gun and then get the can when your paperwork is in order.

However, who wants a ridiculous brake in the meantime?

Sig needs to put out a true full length barrel version.

• avatarCymond says:

Why? pistol-caliber cartridges gain little or no velocity from a 16″ barrel. However, the increased dwell time might mess with the gas system.

6. avatarPulatso says:

WANT.

7. avatarMorris says:

I like it, for the right price I’d buy it.

8. avatarJSIII says:

I want it bad…real bad. Been thinking of getting a 9MM AR for a while but screw that.

Is the mag a proprietary design? The mags in the photos I have seen almost look like Mp5 mags.

9. avatarCanopus says:

Interesting use of CF, Sig needs to do something similar in their rifles. That would solve two problems with monolithic uppers: Easy of access to the barrel and gas system, and weight management (this also applies to quad rails).

10. avatarGuardian says:

Any rumors on pricing?

11. avatarBilly Wardlaw says:

That “muzzle-brake” is going to cause some serious barrel rise till you get your tax-stamp on.

12. avatarHighvoltage says:

Can’t wait for this one…

How would it be a three stamp gun? The muzzle device is permanently attached, so it’s not SBR, if they sell the sleeve as a suppressor, you’d just need one stamp. Great for states like MI that allow silencers, but not SBR. This is exactly the type of rifle I’ve been hoping for, only in .45 acp.

13. avatarLoyd says:

@Nick Have you seen Daniel Defense’s new internally suppressed 300BLK SBR? 1 tax stamp. $3199.

• avatarMichael Bluth says:

If you can afford $3200 + a 200 stamp, you can afford $3200+400 in stamps. I’m not sure I see the point of an integrally suppressed rifle where you have to pay a new stamp every time you shoot out the barrel.

14. avatarDisThunder says:

Yeah, cool looking as all hell, but there probably isn’t a damn bit of function to it as-is.

15. I’m a bit confused. SIG’s site says NFA rules ~do~ apply to this version – and no mention of the suppressor. So even w/o the can we have to get a NFA stamp for the MPX-C?

And on their FB they seem to indicate the SBR version will be available to civvies through NFA channels but elsewhere it says LE/MIL only. Do we have any clarification on that either? -Pk

16. avatarJeff in MS says:

How do you get around the 1986 ban on new machine guns for civilians?

17. Saving pennys as well.

18. avatarJesus m Martinez says:

I.would li

19. avatarMike says:

I’ll buy the .45acp version when it comes out.

20. avatarJason says:

So…this looks like its just a slightly cosmetically altered AR pistol available in pistol calibers.