Hands-On with SRM’s 1216 Revolving Magazine Shotgun

We’ve seen this stuff before, but there’s nothing quite like feeling it in your own hands. And I have to admit, I really like it. The idea is that instead of having a bulky box magazine or a long tube, they simply strapped a whole bunch of smaller tubes together and made them revolve. Which is a nifty idea, and actually really well executed. You get all the benefits of a tube fed magazine with the quick reload abilities of having multiple pre-loaded mags.

The best thing, though, is how this gun takes down. One pin and the whole thing breaks open, revealing the bolt carrier and everything for easy cleaning. If you’ve ever tried to clean a really dirty Mossberg 930, you understand how awesome this is.

Oh, and all the controls can be swapped from one side to the other. Which is cool.

comments

1. avatar JoshinGA says:

I would buy one just to make an anti mad.

“That shotgun holds how many bullets?!”

1. avatar Michael C says:

And the answer to that question is … 0 BULLETS!!!

2. avatar S.CROCK says:

wait, how many rounds does it hold?

1. avatar g says:

It’s like a revolver concept + shotgun. 4 rotating tubes x 4 rounds each = 16 rounds. Mix and match slugs and buckshot to your heart’s content!

Funny enough, the SRM folks must have good marketing. This shotgun is in the latest CoD game, complete with the funky manual rotation of the tube after every 4 rounds.

1. avatar Lolinski says:

If they could add 2 more tubes and 1 round more in each tube, bullpup config and automatically rotating cylinders you would have my dream shottie, heavy but awesome(maybe throw on a suppressor?)

2. avatar AlphaGeek says:

OK, last time I do this today for stuff in the SHOT show reports:

Countdown to legislative amendments banning this operating principle and driving the inventors out of business in 3… 2… 1…

1. avatar Mark N. says:

Already banned in NY…as of Tuesday.

1. avatar Lolinski says:

Not really unless specified since it actually has 4 four-round magazines.

3. avatar Jim March says:

Huh.

I’ll betcha I could graft this onto Maurice the FrankenRuger….esp. if I get an AOW stamp and bolt it to a stock….

Hmmmm…now where did I put that dremel…

4. avatar Joe Grine says:

price?

1. avatar AlphaGeek says:

The 1216 (12 gauge 16-round) model is $2399 MSRP, and at the current production levels, any available units sell for MSRP.

There are other configurations as well, with as few as 8 rounds (4 tubes x 2 rounds) for really short barrel configurations.

Frankly, even at the current high price I’d be far more likely to buy one of these than a KSG if I wanted a high-capacity shotgun. From a mechanical engineering perspective, the SRM guns just seem more robust than the KSG’s fiddly gate/lever system.

5. avatar GS650G says:

People of NY, don’t even look at this. They watch your internet activity.

6. Played with one early last year.
    interesting design
    good concept
    heavy
    needs refinements when it comes to ejection
    a little to finicky about ammo types, for my taste.
    got a lead on a KSG, will see how that compares….with them being local, having excellent support, i have never hesitated buying their products. so far, I have none of them fail on me yet (just like more expensive product lines)

7. avatar Paul W. says:

Would love it but damn that MSRP hurts. But oh man what a sexy gun

8. avatar Javier says:

It is semi auto

9. avatar SRM_Jason says:

Nick,

Pleasure meeting you. Thanks for stopping by and getting this review promptly on your website.

Best,