Deepest Depths of Uselessness: Excel Arms X-30R in 30 Carbine

There were days when you could buy cheap Israeli 30 Carbine ammo by the crate and shoot it all day long with nary a worry about price. My Dad loves telling me about it, specifically his long lazy afternoons with a M1 Carbine plinking tin cans off a fence. Those days are long gone, cheap Israeli ammo having dried up ages ago and the only thing left these days is Prvi, S&B and some other rather expensive ammo. So why you would want a rifle in 30 Carbine that isn’t an M1 or an AR-15 conversion is beyond me. But then again, it appears to be selling.

About Nick Leghorn

15 Responses to Deepest Depths of Uselessness: Excel Arms X-30R in 30 Carbine

1. avatarAPBTFan says:

Some fellas simply have an affinity for certain cartridges. Personally if I was to go the .30 Carbine route I’d love to have an old Automag III.

2. avatarensitu says:

An M-2 used to be my EDC, it, along with some Purple Haze was handy for breaking contact in deep cover and tacticly superior to a handgun but now, 40 years later, it is a round whose practicality is in question. The same design in a pistol cartridge like 10mm seems to be a more realistic choice.

3. avatarMark N. says:

I always thought an M1 carbine would make a nifty home defense weapon, and a lot less expensive than many ARs.

4. avatarTotenglocke says:

$15 for a box of 50 rounds of .30 carbine is expensive?

• avatarCameron S. says:

This. I have an M1 carbine, and I can find some Tula .30 carbine for $17/50 online. It’s a hell of a lot cheaper than 7.62 and 5.56 these days…

• avatarTotenglocke says:

Depending on where I buy from, Tula and Aguila are about $15 per box (plus a few bucks for shipping multiple boxes). For something bigger than a pistol caliber cabine, I’d say it’s the best bang for your buck you’re going to get.

5. avatarRokurota says:

Love the M1 Carbine. Someone should make an authentic WW2-style model in a common pistol cartridge.

• avatarDisThunder says:

Hear hear. I’ll echo what was said above, somebody ought to crank one out in 10mm. I’d say 38 Super too, but all these calibers are a little a little pricier and harder to find than most us us would like.
      Then again, the cheapest box of 9mm I’ve seen lately, and not easily, was $16, so everything is relative…

6. avatar4thestars says:

I love the M1 Carbine, and I love the .30 Carbine round. Such a peppy little round. M1 Carbines are like big overgrown pistols. I also like the Ruger Blackhawk in that round.

And yeah, .30 Carbine has (until the panic) been easier and cheaper to find than it was for awhile. Not too bad to reload, just needs trimmed once in awhile.

7. avatarJohnny says:

They released some new M1 Carbines up here with the appropriate barrel lengths but there were very few. Something like this is much more interesting to me.

8. avatarJeff says:

I love the M1 Carbine. Former Marine here. I actually shoot better with the iron sights than with a scope for the range of this rifle. The reloading of this cartridge is easy and once in a while I need to trim. I anneal the brass occasionally and that keeps the brass going. The price of .30 carbine is not what others are showing any longer so I am guessing these entries a bit old. Now-a-days the price of FMJ 110 grain .30 carbine is closer to $34/box of 50. That’s why I reload now. Reloading is ez pz with this cartridge and I use IMR 4227 for the powder. I’m now trying to hunt down a hand-gun. I’ve looked at the blackhawk but just saw the Excel Arms 30p and thought that was pretty nifty.

9. avatarHarry says:

The 30 carbine round doesn’t have the energy of the 223/5.56 or shoot as flat, but it will still mess you up bad even with fmj’s up to 150+ yards. The 30 carbines light weight mild recoil and simple compact design make it ideal for youngsters and small fframed adults. 30 carbine ammo is also not all that expensive considering it comes in boxes of 50 instead of 20 like most other rifle cartridges. Reloading is the way to go though. Components are cheap and the brass lasts a long time but frequent trimming is to be expected like a previous poster mentioned. The AR15 is better nobody is denying that, but the M1 30 carbine is not useless like the author seems to think it is.