Quote of the Day: Protecting and Defending Edition

“As the duly elected Sheriff of Johnson County, Missouri, it is my sworn duty to protect and defend the Constitutions of the United States of America, and the State of Missouri against all enemies both foreign and domestic. This means I not only have the duty to protect my constituents from incidents of crime, but I also have a duty and responsibility to protect and preserve the individual rights and liberties afforded and guaranteed to every citizen by our constitutions. This, Mr. President is a duty I fully understand, appreciate, and will carry out with great vigor and conviction. I will most certainly urge my fellow Sheriffs in the State of Missouri and across this great nation to rise to the defense and aid of all Americans should the federal government attempt to enact any legislation, or executive order that impedes, erodes, or otherwise diminishes their constitutional right to keep and bare arms. I will use all means legal to meet this solemn and sacred responsibility.” – Johnson County (MO) Sheriff Charles M. Heiss in a January 16 letter to President Obama (via cbslocal.com)

57 Responses to Quote of the Day: Protecting and Defending Edition

1. avatarKelly in GA says:

Well spoken words, meet deaf ears.

I’m glad the movement to stand up for citizens’ rights hasn’t been completely lost below the federal level.

• avatarBeninMA says:

I wouldn’t say it’s lost on the local level. A number of states have even nullified federal law for firearms produced and sold within state borders.

• avatarKelly in GA says:

That’s what I said. :-)

• avatarHuman Being says:

It’s a heart-raising push back, and makes me eye those states for residence, but we’ve yet to see what the Federal response to that defiance is going to be.

• avatarBeninMA says:

Gotcha :)

• avatarPascal says:

“but we’ve yet to see what the Federal response to that defiance is going to be.”

Withholding of Federal funds — simple!

• avatarjwm says:

Yeah, they with hold funds raised from the citizens of the state in question. Taxation without representation? Or just simple Piracy?

• avatar16V says:

jwm, Simple leverage. They won’t cut them entirely, but they’ll pull the same crap as when they wanted to raise the national purchase and possession (of alcohol) age in 1984.

You will play ball, or we will reduce your highway funds by 10%. There were hold outs, but in the end, Reagan signed away freedoms, just as he did his entire political career.

• avatarmatt says:

His words are disingenuous, and were simply stated to boost his chances at reelection, after all a Sheriff is a politician. Where does 2A state that felons, domestic batterers and people who are subject to restraining orders aren’t allowed to own firearms? He doesnt seem to have a problem with grabing guns from those people every day.

2. avatarJavier says:

Too bad Joisy doesn’t have any like him. To those whom you serve a distinct honor you have him as your representative.

3. avatarjoe says:

Bare? He’s already wearing short sleeves…

4. avatarHuman Being says:

Reminds me why I’m proud to have an origin in MO.

Still, it’s getting pretty spooky out there that things like this are getting said.

5. avatarBob says:

He said all means legal. That could be quite a caveat.

6. avatargloomhound says:

This is how it begins, it ends at Antietam or worse Auschwitz. Please don’t think it can’t happen here, it already has.

7. avatarGreg Camp says:

This is the message that more and more states have to send. We’re picking sides. If enough of us show up on the right side, the control freaks will go limp–until the next round, alas.

8. avatarGregolas says:

Sherriff Heiss, you’re a great American. My county’s sherriff and the sherrif of the county next door have both declared the same.

9. avatarstateisevil says:

I wonder if the sheriff utilizes SWAT teams on peaceful cannabis smokers. I bet he does.

• avatargloomhound says:

12/11/2012- Multiple Arrests Stem from ACE/SWAT Search Warrant Service

Having said that I don’t recall smoking dope in the bill of rights.

• avataruncommon_sense says:

gloomhound,

The citizens of the U.S. retain all rights to do anything they please as long as they don’t harm other citizens or infringe on the rights and liberty of other citizens.

If a citizen smokes marijuana in a place where their second-hand smoke doesn’t harm anyone, that is their business. Our government has no legitimate authority to prohibit a person from smoking something.

I personally think it is a really bad idea to smoke marijuana. And if a large consensus of people agree, then government can start a public service campaign to educate people about the drawbacks of smoking marijuana — and even use tax dollars to fund that campaign if that is the will of the citizens. But that is the extent of legitimate action that government can take. Criminalizing it is going too far.

• avatarstateisevil says:

Gloomhound, you ruined my day. I’m actually depressed.

• avatarSwobard says:

It’s truly disheartening that, despite the dangerous & corrosive political winds swirling today around the 2nd Amendment, that individuals within this pro 2A group would attack the sheriff on unrelated issues. Frankly, I think it’s irresponsible and foolish.

• avatargloomhound says:

Sorry Boss. :(

• avatargloomhound says:

uncommon_sense

Be that as it may, the ability to smoke any random weed is NOT an Enumerated Right as listed in the U.S. Constitution’s bill of rights. Please don’t confuse mere beans for the whole enchilada. If they take away your “right” to smoke dope you can fight for it in the court of public opinion. If you lose the right to arm yourself as a freeman should then you might have to fight for that right in the streets.

• avatarCody says:

What’s that part about the pursuit of happiness all about?

• avatarstateisevil says:

@swoboard

You can’t pick and choose your freedoms. For each one you infringe on, the next one becomes easier to get rid of. Also, I don’t trust the sheriff because of this hypocrisy.

• avatarjwm says:

State, I’m on record for legalizing drugs. But the most immediate threat to our liberty is the damage being done to 2a. On this issue I will stand with the sheriff.

• avatarBob says:

You bet he does.

10. avatarAharon says:

That is a great statement. Hope the federal government never seeks to arrest him in the middle of the night.

• avatarC. Walther says:

Did…did you just imply the Feds would actually follow due process (or something that looks like it) to remove this guy?

• avatarIn Memphis says:

C. Walther, the feds are attacking us and a document the swore to uphold and defend. What makes you think they wouldnt consider ghosting any officials who have the power to defy them?

• avatarC. Walther says:

That’s the point I was driving at. I was poking fun at Aharon’s suggestion that they’d arrest the guy when a white unmarked van and a black bag over the head would be much more likely.

Seems the grim joke didn’t quite transmit.

• avatarIn Memphis says:

Sorry, sometimes I just cant interprit a persons intent in writing

• avatarC. Walther says:

No worries! The Internet is wonderful for sharing a lot of things. Humor, sarcasm, and irony generally aren’t among them.

11. avatarDerryM says:

Hopefully, these Sheriff’s are the “tip of the iceberg” of a great Constitutionalist backlash that will save The Republic from a return to Liberal Big Government that has it’s nose (and control) in every aspect of our lives. Not to forget the ruin of our current economy.

Support them and save our Rights, the Constitution and The Republic! With all due deference to that venerable Nation, I DO NOT WANT TO BE A GREEK!

12. avatarSmaj says:

Sheriffs across the country are drawing a line in the sand in front of the president of the United States. This sounds like something from a novel, but it’s as real as the sunrise. This situation is very chilling and even frightening. The actions of these sheriffs SHOULD give the gun grabbers great pause, but the grabbers think they have the momentum to achieve their goals and are very probably laughing at these “yokels.”

13. avatarRandy Drescher says:

You listening sarah?, remember, when in trouble just call a cop, lol, Randy

14. avatarIn Memphis says:

In the days leading up to the ’94 ban was there any defiance at state levels like there is today? Between Sheriffs makng these stands and states trying to enact laws against federal regulations?

• avatargloomhound says:

Not that I can recall.

• avatarjwm says:

Not the way I remember it, Memphis. Basically, the only news we had was from the msm. PC’s and smart phones were not in massive distribution as they are now. The pager was still king then.

• avatarIn Memphis says:

Ha, Im 27 and I carry a pager for work. Every now and then I get odd looks and questions about it from younger people.

Thats true though, I didnt take in to a count that information being shared differently will have an effect on this. Ironic that “Al Gore” invented the internet huh?

• avatarjwm says:

It’s much easier now for joe average citizen to aquire information. The problem is in sorting thru all the info and discarding the bits that are useless to your search. We have too much info now and a lot of it is unverified.

Still, I prefer now to then. Look at the huge and instantaneous push back by pro gun people to this latest round of mindless gun grabbing.

And not meaning this to be insulting or patronizing, Memphis, but I have kids older than you. 27, I wish.

In order for the G to undo the constitution completely, they’re going to have to muzzle the internet first.

• avatarIn Memphis says:

No offense taken at all. I kind of wish I was older and could remember the ’94 ban. Not so much because I feel like Im goijg blindly in to this but just to better appreciate our current situation. I also wish I had a better grasp on politics but I hold myseld back out of concern of getting the wrong (biased) information and not realizing it

15. avatarJOE MATAFOME says:

The police chief in my town is a great supporter of the 2A and he treats everyone with respect. My buddy sent me this quote comparing the 1A to the 2A “Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!’ in a crowded theater.”
    – Peter Venetoklis

16. avatarWilliam says:

That there’s a REAL peace officer. Funky scan, though.

17. avatarLance says:

Bless him and may more cops like him be elected Top Cops around the nation.

18. avatarRick says:

It would be a great day if our Greene County Sheriff, Jim Arnott, would sign the same pledge, to uphold the 2nd Amendment rights of all law abiding Greene County citizens.

19. avatarRick says:

Damn, didn’t get it in quickly enough, but I am talking about Greene County, Missouri.

20. avatarAPBTFan says:

If I was a chick I’d kiss him for that.