Defensive Gun Use of the Day: Airsoft Fail Edition

You need some money, but getting a job takes too long and requires, you know, work. So why not try home invasion? We hear it can be lucrative. And if you’re going to go to all the trouble of busting into someone’s home, better to do it with overwhelming numbers. Which probably explains why five – count ’em, five – guys broke down the door to a Fairborn, OH residence Monday night. Trent Seitz and Christopher Muse were home at the time, and probably couldn’t believe their eyes when the five bulled their way in and started waving a pistol around. Lucky for them, it was a plastic gun. Even more fortunate, Muse had a real one . . .

The dood flashing the plasti-gat was Anthony Berwick. Imagine his surprise when Muse pointed a pistol his way that actually went bang and opened a hole in his leg. One of Berwick’s accomplices, Ta’Vaun Fambrough, was probably even more shocked when a round from Muse’s firearm tore through his torso.

From wdtn.com:

“Seitz and Muse have not been charged in the fatal shooting,” said Sgt. (Paul) Hicks, who is calling this incident, self-defense.

Fambrough’s next of kin have, by now, likely been notified. The remaining members of the Fairborn Five are now guests of the taxpayers and have been charged with various felonies. So remember, as this case so clearly demonstrates, no one really needs more than ten rounds to defend themselves. Unless, there are a lot of bad guys. Or they have real guns. Or you miss.

comments

1. avatar MotoJB says:

AWESOME…

1. avatar AlphaGeek says:

One can only hope that this is one of those jurisdictions where the other perps get charged with murder if one of their accomplices dies violently in the course of committing their crimes. Yes, this is a real thing that actually exists. I didn’t know about it myself until late last year.

1. avatar matt says:

Illinois is actually that way, personally I think that law is absurd. It gets even sillier, if you let someone borrow your car, and they kill someone, even if you didnt know they were going to do something illegal, you can be imprisoned for the rest of your life. It happened to Paul Modrowski.

1. avatar ItsLate says:

How Moronic Can Things Get?

2. avatar CarlosT says:

According to Wikipedia, it looks like a no on felony murder in Ohio: Wikipedia link.

2. avatar John Boch says:

Baby Jesus grinned!

2. avatar darkstar says:

Good for the homeowner. Of course he didn’t really NEED his gun and just should have reasoned with the wayward youths.

1. avatar S.CROCK says:

true. and the home owners were not killed so according to pierce morgan they should not have been able to shoot the invaders.

1. avatar crndl says:

Piers The Dim actually referred to self-defense as murder recently before thinking better of it and half-heartedly correcting himself. Oops 🙂

3. avatar Ross says:

Well you can’t fix stupid, but you can certainly shoot it dead.

1. avatar BlindKyle says:

+10

1. avatar pat says:

In NY, +10 is actually +7.

2. avatar Ron says:

Isn’t that fixed?
      Sounds fixed to me.

3. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Winner! I’m totally going to deploy that at the next opportunity.

4. avatar Brennan says:

Had he lived in new York there would have been, at best, 1.2 rounds per bad guy!

1. avatar Bill says:

and it’s a fallacy to believe in the one shot stop mentality. either very lucky or a really big bullet to do that most of the time.

5. avatar jwm says:

“Down the side of your gun is written “Replica”. Down the side of mine is “Desert Eagle .50…..”

1. avatar Chris Dumm says:

+100 …And something about ‘mincy little f—- balls’ too.

2. avatar g says:

+1,000 for SNATCH reference.

And yeah, five guys in a home invasion attempt should be all the evidence people need that:

-10 round mags aren’t enough
      -2 round side by side shottie is OK, but a 8+ round pump is better
      -30 round mag + HOME DEFENSE rifle is totally appropriate

3. avatar Rambeast says:

“The weight, is good. If it does not work, you can always hit him with it.”

6. avatar Ron says:

So Mr.Berwick has a hole in his leg.
    Sounds like Mr. Muse could use a little time at the range.
    Still one (1) out of two (2) ain’t bad.
    And he did have his gun handy.

1. avatar Bill says:

weren’t there, you don’t know what available shots he had, or if he was shooting while drawing because of bad guy’s distance. how many shots he actually fired, if that was the best shot he had because of transitions, or if he was moving while shooting. etc…

1. avatar TeutonicTenifer says:

Exactly. Especially if the homeowner was retreating up a staircase into concealment, the leg shot might have been all he had.

Even if he had a clean view, a self-defense situation isn’t as calm as a day at the range.

1. avatar Ron says:

See Chill Bill

2. avatar Ron says:

Chill Bill!
        Read it again. Then try to take it in the context it was written (typed, keyboarded, whichever is right).
        Could be as you say or any of many other senerios.
        Then again could be he needs more time at the range.

2. avatar Randy Drescher says:

Yeah, thats too bad about fambrough,well, not really. Maybe we can hear about the wrongfull death lawsuit now, cut short in the prime of his life as it were. He was gonna be a doctor you know, Randy

1. avatar Ron says:

A Doctor Randy. Really!
        I didn’t know that, but I was sure he was a good boy.

3. avatar crndl says:

maybe was aiming for femoral artery 🙂

1. avatar great unknown says:

There is a school of thought that a pelvic shot is much more quickly disabling than a torso shot – unless the latter is in the ten spot. Lots of blood vessels, bone to aid in internal ricochet, and a good chance of cracking the pelvis.

My personal training is pelvis, COM torso, cranial triangle in that order, if possible and necessary.

1. avatar Ron says:

Hi great unknown,
          Just a thought.
          The human brain contains enough oxygen to allow a person full deliberate action for up to fifteen (15) seconds after the heart has stopped pumping blood.
          Even if you hit the heart, completely destroying it, your assailant could continue deliberate aimed fire for up to fifteen (15) seconds before losing consciousness. Longer, possibly much longer from a less serious hit. I’m sure you remember the Miami- Dade County shootout. If not, very informative reading.
          The only way to insure an instant stoppage is with a CNS hit. Sever the spine and no movement below the point of impact. Brain hits will also incapacitate MOST of the time ,but there have been cases where they did not. Usually small caliber.
          Yes it is very difficult to place a shot so precisely as to be sure of a CNS hit, but when the chest is hit you have a chance. With the pelvic area you do not. You also have a chance to stop the heart, collapse one (1) or both lungs. The abdomen contains the liver, a large major blood organ and many lesser organs. Also the torso is much larger than the pelvic / leg area.

Yes I know it sounds like I am talking down to you.
          It sounds that way to me too.
          Please believe that I am not.
          Also I am not an expert, far removed.
          You may very well be.
          If so, please say so. I have questions.
          But I have done extensive research, over many decades.
          I have also made many mistakes.

I have heard of this pelvic shot theory, but I find it difficult to believe hitting the femoral artery would be any easier than the CNS. Of course the CNS, other than the brain, is deeper and requires more penetration. (Other than a back shot. Probably difficult to explain.) Shattered bone will possibly render a leg inoperable, slowing the perp down.
          But I have no interest in slowing him down. Nor do I relish a slow bleed out. I want him stopped now.
          I believe the best chance of doing this is with a center mass shot. There is just more vital stuff to hit.
          Like someone said,” Aim for the center. That way if you miss a little you will still hit something”.

No offense intended. Honestly.
          Just a thought.

One last thought.
          I have put down more than a few bad guys. Well they weren’t really bad, they just didn’t like me.
          No one ever said,” Damm man, shoot ’em in the leg!”

4. avatar Joatmon2 says:

He probably couldn’t find any ammunition to practice with.

7. avatar Tom jones says:

Great movie jwm vinnie jones is the man

1. avatar jwm says:

Why are the Brits so cool in the movies, but in the real world…..

1. avatar Thomas Paine says:

they’re fat and stupid? oh, that’s us too.

1. avatar BlindKyle says:

At least we have good teeth. . . . And guns.

2. avatar Ron says:

Watch it Thomas!
          I am not fat!!

3. avatar Todd S says:

I’m fat… but I have a MS in Organic Chem, so let’s can the stupid part.

8. avatar Chainsaw Ninja says:

Ta’Vaun? That a character from Stargate?

1. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Well played.

2. avatar ALH says:

Nah, sounds more like a Star Trek Vulcan name. Though I think the person in this case missed the logic lessons as breaking and entering with a fake gun is not logical at all.

9. avatar Roll says:

But noooo… according to Feinstien and McCarthy they want you to be victims!

10. avatar Bill says:

What if they would have all been armed, for real? Yeah, limit my magazines you government dicks. Feinstein, go f!@k yourself. If this were me, the first gun I’d grab would be the AR because of its accuracy and capacity. Shotgun, maybe, but it has limited capacity, pain to reload, and in some cases higher chance of colateral damage. especially with a high number of assailants, with the shotgun’s recoil, it takes longer to transition to the next bad guy.

1. avatar Carrymagnum says:

They had a video up here this weekend. At a range, an instructor gave a girl a AR. Told her to put five rounds into 5 silhouettes. Took her 30 seconds. Handed another girl a 12 gauge semi auto. One shot per silhouette. 3 seconds. Last shot was a little off. They did this to show the lethality( and lack of accuracy) of “grand dads old duck gun. So you’re certainly half right.

11. avatar great unknown says:

If the DA was really interested in reducing crime, the surviving perps should be charged with felony murder.

1. avatar C says:

In a lot of states, they have to be.

1. avatar great unknown says:

Unfortunately, given the overriding principles of prosecutorial discretion and immunity, there is no “have to be.”

12. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

Kudos for saving the taxpayers the expense of one trial and incarceration. Next time let’s try to do better with the other 4.

13. avatar C says:

When you bust into someone’s house, ya get what ya get.
    I’m all for self defense, but I’m also really uncomfortable with how many people celebrate the antagonist being killed. You don’t shoot to kill, you shoot to stop the threat. If the attacker happens to get killed in the process, well, he brought it upon himself but its not something in which to revel.

1. avatar Steve in MA says:

I’d consider one hit center mass shooting to stop the threat

1. avatar C says:

The goal is to stop their doing what they’re doing. Center mass is the most effective way to do that, and sometimes the antagonist gets himself killed in the process. Shit happens, but you’re not gonna throw a fcking party about it.

1. avatar Sammy says:

And one more up top seals the deal. My wife thought I was Kar-Azy to home carry until I got her to read some of the home invasion posts here. She’s reconsidered her position.

2. avatar John Boch says:

I cheer when bad guys get their just deserts.

If that bothers you, too darn bad.

John

3. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

Disagree. In fact, I don’t support the State imposing the death penalty, but I do fully support killing crims in self defense. Gets a piece of shit off the street, and saves the taxpayer a bunch of money. There’s plenty of people in the US, killing crims in the course of their criminality is a benefit to all.

4. avatar AJ says:

Dude, I wouldn’t say anyone’s celebrating, as you put it. But +1000 for that homeowner and f- the POS home invaders. If they end up dead, it’s their own damn fault. I’d take it a step further and sue their survivors for damages when they bleed out on my rug.

14. avatar MOG says:

You shoot to kill. What other people revel in is not my problem.

1. avatar crndl says:

big +1…anyone stepping, excuse me, BUSTING into another’s house has entered the jungle and deserves no consideration whatsoever. Center mass it is, how do you know what it takes to “stop the threat?” you don’t know if they’re pharmaceutically aided and can’t feel a thing, or how many of them there are…etc. etc.

1. avatar C says:

if you read the above comment, i said go for CM. Missing my point.

1. avatar C says:

Let me see if this makes more sense to you guys. Because i don’t think we’re working with the same definitions. Shooting to stop the threat has nothing to do with WHERE one shoots the antagonist and everything to do with WHY.
          When the cops turn up after a DGU, you go ahead and tell them “I wanted to kill that motherfcker” and see how it works out for ya versus “I was trying to make him stop attacking me.”

2. avatar Sean Winans says:

I feared for my life.
          He had a gun.
          I’ll answer further questions in the presence of my attorney.
          Then STFU.

15. So, as people become more desperate in a down economy (down 1% as of Q4 2012), it’ll become more common to see criminally-inclined youths ganging up to take on John and Jane Homeowner.

Remind me again why 7 is the new 10?

I got an email noting that a coworker was jumped by four such youths en route to campus. Not a robbery, just a beating–and the advice given is “do not resist.” I’m really hoping my state goes “shall-issue” soon, not that I’d be able to carry to and from work.

1. avatar great unknown says:

Back in the pre-PC days, the same advice was given to rape victims: lay back and enjoy it. Feminism has put a stop to that abominable “advice”, but now it has been repurposed to other crime victims.

One of the important arguments we have to make during the upcoming culture wars is how important guns are to women for self defense.

It is such an important point that during the Senate hearings today, it was brought up by Gayle Trotter of the Independent Women’s Forum. And because the libs realize how powerful this point is, she was heckled by both members of the audience and by a Senator:

When you know where it hurts, keep hitting them there.

2. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

If that campus is a gun free zone, shall issue wouldn’t have made a difference.

16. avatar Joey says:

I’m grateful for stories like this that throw me back into reality. Sometimes I think that I’ll always have time to run upstairs and grab my rifle, but instances like this remind me that I need to be armed ALL the time. Thanks.

17. avatar HeartbreakRidge says:

This incident occurred in Greene County (next door to where I live), and they *love* to whack criminals there. I would expect a murder charge to be added to the list of charges in due course by the Grand Jury.

18. avatar Aharon says:

It isn’t emotionally mature or morally right that I found Dan’s story funny.

19. avatar CZJay says:

Let’s not forget that ammo sometimes chooses not to go bang or you have a malfunction that requires you to lose a round.

Why do we need detachable magazines over archaic fixed magazine designs? Maybe the mag fails. With one magazine only you better have another gun ready as you will not have time to whip out your multi tool.

20. avatar TheBlackGoat says:

The Felony Murder rule, generally speaking if you are a perpetrator of a felony, and but for the commission of that crime the death (or other harm along similar veins) would not have occurred then you are liable and responsible for that harm. Used to ensure that any ancillary deaths (those not directly intended from the crime but result from it none the less) are accounted for by the perpetrator(s). So essentially, since Muse would not have shot and killed Mr. Fambrough without the commission of the home invasion, the 5 (well 4 now) gentlemen who kicked the door down are legally responsible for the death (As their instigation of the felony is what caused it).

I believe that is a generally accurate, if a little to simplistic, rendition of the principle. Also Ohio does have a version of the Felony Murder rule, though they are all nuanced differently and applied differently, so whether or not it works as such in this case is something beyond me.