Montana to the Feds: FOAD

Montana legislators have introduced HB0145: “AN ACT PROVIDING FOR THE IMPLEMENTATION OF MONTANA’S FEDERAL MANDATES ACT; REVISING THE LEGISLATIVE DECLARATION; SPECIFYING CRITERIA FOR NOTICES OF ADMINISTRATIVE RULEMAKING IMPLEMENTING FEDERAL MANDATES; REQUIRING INTERIM COMMITTEES TO REVIEW AGENCIES’ COMPLIANCE WITH THE FEDERAL MANDATES ACT; PROVIDING FOR INCLUSION IN THE STATE BUDGETING PROCESS OF CERTAIN INFORMATION AND RECOMMENDATIONS CONCERNING FEDERAL MANDATES. While it doesn’t mention guns or gun control like Wyoming’s bill HB0104, MT’s caps lock legislation asserts states rights’ primacy over federal law. Everything from the affordable healthcare act to federal firearms laws are up for review. Theoretically.

39 Responses to Montana to the Feds: FOAD

1. avatarMick says:

Good on them.

2. avatardom says:

Awesome. I would love to live in a freedom loving state like Montana. It is just so damn cold. And there is no ocean. I wish we could have a coastal area that embraces liberty. Maybe if enough of us move to one of the US Virgin Islands. We could set up a true sportsmans paradise.

3. avatarSCS says:

Hell YES!!

4. avatarJohn Bergmann says:

I wish my job would let me move back to the state of my birth…*sigh*

5. avatarIvy Mike says:

200 Federal ICBMs located at Great Falls, Montana—smack dab in the middle of the State—pretty much negates any old-fashioned “notions of federalism and self-determination.”

“It’s all [Borg] bearings these days.” ~Fletch [metaphor mixed]

• avatarSivartius says:

I would say that makes Federal action against them unlikely. In the War of Southern Aggression the military instalations in the South almost invariably went to the South, and those that didn’t were easily overwhelmed. Give the fractious state(s) control of a few nuclear weapons, and armed response becomes markedly less likely. MAD is scary as anything, but it works.

• avatarIvy Mike says:

I bet you don’t have any idea about a Permissive Action Link (PAL).

P.S. They’re not set to 00000000 anymore.

• avatarSivartius says:

I don’t know about that, but consider this situation. 2/3ds of the crews of these installations side with the State. Of those who do not, roughly half of them are either captured immediately, perhaps by their co-workers, perhaps after being over-run or starved out. Among those who go over, several of the top officers choose to throw their lot in with the rebels. Most all the files are taken, either intact, or almost intact. The State Governor heads the rebellion, and brings to the table any gubernatorial or state Natl. Guard information. Now add in that, at least in the early stages, many people, even in the Pentagon, may be in sympathy, and you have a citizenry that is used to fixing and jury-rigging. If I was the President, I wouldn’t bet a dollar on the chance that the secessionists couldn’t take control of even ONE of the missiles and re-target it.

• avatarIvy Mike says:

Did you help write the second season of Jericho? :)

• avatarSivartius says:

I don’t watch TV. I don’t know what show Jericho is.

• avatarJoshinGA says:

You dont know what Jericho is? You are seriously missing out. Sign up for a free trial of Netflix and watch it immediately (I think its still on Netflix).

6. avatarBLAMMO says:

I might be moving to Montana soon …
    Just to raise me up a crop of dental floss …

7. avatarjwm says:

Texas has sea access. Combine texas with a few other states to Montana and you’ve got a Balkinized country. Shame it may have to come to that.

8. avatarSDFreeman says:

US citizens should not have to move, the constitution applies to all the states. People will not enjoy the ocean sun sets if their in prison for not blindly obeying unconstitutional laws. We should stop sending are tax dollars to washington, so they will have to listen to we the people again. I would rather get into trouble with then let this crap continue.

9. avatarBlinkyPete says:

GOOD!

10. avatarJoshinGA says:

I am hoping to see a few other solidly pro gun pro freedom states follow suit shortly. Then any legislation would get very interesting. Very interesting indeed.

• avatarIn Memphis says:

I heard something about Mississppi having thoughts of joining the group but I cant confirm it. If it is true I am glad the border is walking distance from me

• avatarWill says:

Arkansas is talking about a bill that will override any federal ban on semi-auto weapons and magazines. Not only that, it is supposed to make it illegal for any federal agent to attempt to enforce those bans within the borders of Arkansas.

I hope it passes, although personally I’d prefer it to become part of the State’s Constitution, and thus even harder to get rid of.

• avatarJudy says:

Alabama is working on it.

11. avatarWilliam says:

IMPEACH NOW.

12. avatarPK says:

This bill just passed the Montana House 12-8.

13. avatarPK says:

It passed a second and third reading in the House, 59-38. This bodes well for the bills being passed to the Montana Senate.