2013 Media Day At The Range: Colder Than Hell

My fingers froze almost numb. I watched a factory rep stand too close to a propane heater and start to melt his jacket. Farago borrowed my fleece hat to keep his noggin warm and still had to be medevac’d back to the hotel with hypothermia. And the free bottled water was all frozen solid . . .

Image: Chris Dumm

But we still nailed it, I think.

comments

1. avatar Michael says:

Chris Dumm: “Wish ya’ll were here!”

That’s just mean….

2. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Perhaps hell has frozen over?

And whatever happened to global warming? Unprecedented cold does not equate to warming.

1. avatar Ace says:

Weather does not equal climate.

3. avatar jwm says:

he was out there without head gear? Well, there’s your problem……

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Yep. You lose at least 75% of your body heat while outdoors, standing up and dry, from your shoulder blades on up. That’s standard survival training, BTW.

Add in evaporation off your skin in the dry wind of Nevada and you’re going to get mighty cool, right quick.

4. avatar Matt in FL says:

Why the heck is Farago getting cold. He lives in the northeast, ffs.

The frozen bottled water is pretty funny, though.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Because easterners don’t know much about living and working in the high deserts of the western US. They think “Oh, a desert is just where it doesn’t rain.”

Yes, that’s true. It’s also a very small part of the overall issue. Things get much colder when you factor in evaporation and wind.

Here’s a great example:

When I’d be out scouting for hunting in late August in central NV, I never had to carry ice or a cooler for my water. All I’d do is wrap some burlap around an old gallon glass wine jug, wet down the burlap and leave it sit on the pickup tailgate in the breeze. Presto: nice, cold water on a 95F degree day. Betcha can’t do that on the east coast – anywhere on the east coast.

1. avatar jwm says:

I have walked on the Ohio river when it froze. The coldest I’ve been where i had an accurate reading of the temperature was 60 below zero.

But on that rare occasion when I go to San Francisco i usually freeze my ass off. Go figure. And that desert in Nevada. I’ve been there. An alien place that isn’t meant for humans.

5. avatar Saul Feldstein says:

Guess this means if TSHTF when its cold out nobody will show up.

6. avatar Roll says:

TACTICAL WATER! Stay warm guys!

1. avatar Chris Dumm says:

Guaranteed not to slosh and give away your position!