Gun Control Advocate Playing to Stereotypes. Literally.

“The sound of gunshots has been transformed into the sound of music in Mexico’s Ciudad Juárez,” treehugger.com reports, “where artist Pedro Reyes turned 6,700 confiscated weapons into a complete orchestra of fully playable musical instruments. Reyes, who is based in Mexico City, worked with a group of six musicians to turn revolvers, shotguns, and machine guns into 50 wind, percussion, and string instruments, a project he calls ‘Imagine.'” Which is, IMHO, one of the treehuggingest songs ever written—and it isn’t even about trees. Give the instruments’ derivation, one wonder if Reys’ musicians shouldn’t be playing the theme song from Fast and Furious instead. Deep enough for you?

comments

1. avatar pk in AZ says:

Yep…..and on that “note”……

Am I the only one who believes we will NEVER know how much “our” AG holder knew of F&F?

2. avatar AaronW says:

I guess the firearms that became musical instruments were the ones not good enough to be sold out the back door back to the cartels.

3. avatar jwm says:

reyes could have given 6,700 defenseless people a way to protect themselves and thier families. He chose to fiddle while Rome burned.

1. avatar إبليس says:

Hey don’t insult Rome by comparing it to Mexico. Nero > Nieto.

4. avatar Schwarmenius says:

6,700 guns? More likely 6,700 gun parts, looked like rusted revolvers and AK mags made up 2/3rds of the components.

Singer can’t carry a tune in a bucket, but I suppose this video is hardly concerned about the actual song.

I actually do rather like that “fluted” AR-15 barrel.

……

……Anyone?

……Tough crowd.

1. avatar Sanchanim says:

You will be here all week, and don’t forget to tip your waitress!! lol

5. avatar Ron says:

Wtf…. The band sounds like my son’s 3 year old daycare class.

6. avatar ready,fire,aim says:

damn fine waste of weapons if you ask me….

7. avatar OHgunner says:

After the show, they probably lit up a few Cartel sourced
    doobs and talked about how they’re changing the world and saving lives. Get jobs, you hippies. Or at least singing lessons

8. avatar Aharon says:

As a gun owner and an environmentalist, I’m more impressed with the work of some creative environmentalists who have used discarded tires to build the outside walls of eco-friendly low-energy houses that were built almost exclusively with recycled materials. Unlike the desire of the gun-grabbers, those eco-friendly houses do not take away the only realistic means of defense many innocent people may have.

Still, I think Reyes is inspirational. Some creative musical instrument maker can probably find a market for making musical instruments that look like guns. Imagine a harmonica that looks like a handgun or at least a high-capacity magazine! It will drive Mike Bloomberg nuts. Conversely, a gun maker can embed a flute onto a shotgun. It will make for a unique re-play of the 1812 Overture: a shotgun blast and wind music going off together while duck hunting.

9. avatar speedracer5050 says:

Oh Yea!!! A nice volley of 12gauges and a couple of cannons would add a whole new level of booming music to an AC/DC concert,
    especially during the song”For Those About To Rock”!!!
    Oh and the concert needs to be held in Central park on a Monday morning about 10am!!

10. avatar Ing says:

That’s some creative work, right there. Silly me, I thought they were also creative enough to play their *own* song. Didn’t make the “Imagine” connection until it was too late. You could call me a treehugger and you’d be (almost) right, but my god…that song…it’s intolerable.

I’m trading it for Megadeth right now, before my brain melts. Peace Sells (But Who’s Buying) seems appropriate.

11. avatar Aharon says:

If a shovel can be turned into an AK then musical instruments can be turned into guns.