IWI Officially Launches U.S. Subsidiary, Set to Begin U.S. Tavor Manufacture

For too long U.S. gun owners have been denied the ability to own the Israeli-designed Tavor rifle. Just like the Steyer AUG, it’s a bullpup design chambered in the popular 5.56 NATO cartridge that allows for a shorter overall rifle while keeping the required 16 inches of barrel length to make the ATF happy. While I don’t quite understand the appeal of the Tavor over the AUG myself, I get the feeling that it’s the association with hot IDF chicks that make most of the male population salivate over the gun. According to a press release yesterday, though, the wait will soon be over and we’ll be seeing the first samples at SHOT Show in a couple weeks . . .

From Ammoland:

Israel Weapon Industries (IWI) – a leader in the production of combat-proven small arms for governments, armies, and law enforcement agencies around the world – launches operations of its US subsidiary, IWI US, Inc.

The company has leased a 21,000 sq. ft. facility in Harrisburg, PA, and will initially begin marketing the TAVOR SAR bullpup rifle line in several configurations and the UZI PRO Pistol, which will be showcased at the 2013 SHOT Show, January 15-18, in Las Vegas, NV at booth #15238.

I’d expect to start seeing rifles available for purchase sometime around Fall of 2013. Then again, since they’re already in fullscale production in Israel, they might be able to ramp up faster.

comments

1. avatar Tim says:

I need a bull pup. Hope this one is lefty friendly.

1. avatar Eric says:

The FS 2000 is the most lefty friendly bullpup in this caliber. I love mine.

2. avatar sdog says:

so awesome, i’ve been wanting a tavor since i first saw pictures of them. but i am definelty wondering about other potential offerings of super cool IDF styled gear, becasue the only thing i would want more from IWI is a Galil.

1. avatar g says:

It’s not the genuine article, but you could buy an M&M M10 for cheap, put on some new furniture, and a folding stock. Dunno how you’d go about getting a Galil-style charging handle, though… that’d probably take some fancy work.

3. avatar Lance says:

Still stick to my AR-15 over this but if you like Bullpups this beats a AUG.

1. avatar nonnamous says:

what makes you say that?

1. avatar William says:

Second that. What makes you say that? Because a number of armies are still using it.

As for the Tavor, I’ve always wanted one. I have a Bushmaster M17s, but it has an occasional problem I’d rather not mention here…

4. avatar sanchanim says:

OMG OMG OMG!!!! Running around like a little school girl who just met Justin Beiber!!!! OMG OMG OMG!!!
    Yeah and assuming they don’t hit any government filling snafus, I am sure they should be able to spin up quickly!
    Putting my money away now, the kids don’t need to eat right!

1. avatar sanchanim says:

Oh and Nick, if you have shot one, then that was the appeal. Besides the Israeli girls who were impressed with your new gun! 😉

2. avatar William says:

I totally agree! BOY HOWDY!!! I want one as well…. I’ve always been bullish on boolpups.

5. avatar Tim U says:

biggest appeal of Tavor over AUG – magazines. The Tavor uses standard AR mags, the AUG needs proprietary ones (except the NATO style, but those have other issues)

At least, that’s one I see right away. I’d love one, but I have no budget for a 5.56 rifle that will cost as much as one of these will.

1. avatar Totenglocke says:

What other issues do the NATO stock AUG’s have?

1. avatar sdog says:

my nato AUG works just fine with pmags and gi mags.

6. avatar JR LORENCZ says:

Now this, this is a mitzvah.

…and my next major purchase.

7. avatar Mark says:

Wake me when it’s offered in 6.8spc…

1. avatar Accur81 says:

This would definitely be cool in 6.8 or 300 BLK. The 5.56 is still a decent round, though.

8. avatar bobo says:

Better ergonomics than the Steyr – bolt release button close to the magwell means you’re back in a ready to fire position much sooner – vs. with the steyr which requires reworking the charging bolt.

9. avatar In Memphis says:

Can I have mine delivered by a young woman of the IDF? I will pay extra.

1. avatar William says:

You want her to look Jewish, or northern European?

10. avatar Alex G. says:

I know what I am saving up for.

11. avatar Jean Paul says:

Hot damn. I think I’d like to have one of those. I’ll trade my Clinton-ban era Bushmaster for it. Nothing wrong with the Bushmaster, but the aesthetics of my gun displease me. No flash hider, no collapsible stock, no rails—-adding these isn’t cheap.

I like the Tavor.

12. avatar jwm says:

I’ve never shot a bullpup. Living in the People’s Republic of California restricts a lot of what’s available to us serfs. I do like the way the Tavor looks, though.

1. avatar sanchanim says:

It is a bullpup but it has a 16″ barrel. Not sure how that fits into it. Of course it won’t have a bullet button so you can I will have to wait I guess…
      Hence why I really want to move!!!

1. avatar Rybred says:

i’ve shot an FS2000 in the PRK, reaaally sux with the bullet button.

the owner had to pin on a “faux” suppresor to meet the 30″ minimum requirement, which kind of kills the bullpup appeal.
        if i got a bullpup in 5.56 it would have a 20″ barrel at least.

13. avatar bpjester says:

When can I buy a new Galil?

1. avatar Dark says:

I agree. Will IWI be making Galil’s?

Although I wonder, how does a Tavor compare to a Galil in terms of reliability?

1. avatar sanchanim says:

Both are very reliable, but the galil is more rugged from a dump in a swamp and it keeps going kind of thing.

14. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Looks like lots of fun. I’d want to borrow or rent one to shoot for a couple of hours before buying something with a form factor this different from conventional rifles. Seems like the sort of thing that, even if you liked shooting it initially, would turn out to either be the gun of your dreams or a complete shitshow after a couple hundred rounds.

15. avatar ST says:

“While I don’t quite understand the appeal of the Tavor over the AUG myself…”

Well, allow me to enlighten you good sir.

My apartment isn’t a shoebox; yet home defense in my abode with a classic long arm is problematic. 16″ barrels do not mix well with tight corners, and the $200 Tax Stamp for an SBR doesn’t mix with my budget either. A bullpup solves both problems, and is much more transport-friendly then their conventional cousins .I can actually keep a bullpup rifle on the bedside without swinging a long barrel around.

1. avatar Billy Wardlaw says:

The AUG is also a bull-pup and they are comparable in length, so I don’t understand you point.

1. avatar ST says:

Ah rats! I thought the OP was discussing bullpups in general, not the Tavor vs the AUG.

As to the merits of one over the other, choice is good no?

2. avatar elnonio says:

$200 and a few parts (barrel, carbine-sized gas tube, etc) is still cheaper that the Tavor (MSRP I would imagine to be around $1,500).

When I get home tonight, I’ll remeasure the my M&P15 SBR and compare the length to the Tavor. Since you say home defense, I presume you won’t be too bothered by the reduced bullet speed out of an 11.5″ barrel.

1. avatar Elnonio says:

Funny this. I ended up getting a Tavor. Love it. And it was a little more than $1,500…. the manual of arms is a little strange, and it just feels clunky. Having said that, if my command allowed me the choice between a customized Tavor and my SBR, I would likely go with a Tavor with a barrel cut a 14″ (if not all the way to barrel band thing) and suppressed.

I can always dream, can’t I?!

16. avatar g says:

I’d love a bullpup, but I’m afraid of the cost… I’ll cross my fingers, and hope it doesn’t end up being as expensive as a SCAR or ACR.

17. avatar UcsbKevin says:

Don’t forget to request one for T&E. 🙂

18. avatar JBeechel says:

Is it wrong that I got this happy over the news. I waited past the election, held off on a SCAR, held off on an AUG… all so this day would come and I could get a TAVOR.

19. avatar Lolinski says:

Meh, I prefer the AUG.

20. avatar إبليس says:

If it’s not chambered in .300 Blackout it doesn’t exist.

21. avatar AK-DAVE says:

I’m excited too!!
    I’m down for a 18 incher.
    Looks prettier than an AUG-A3.

AUG-A1 owner since ’86.
    Passed on FAMAS in ’88, $1300 was too much. Dumb move.
    FS2000 owner since ’07.
    Safe queens do not exist at mty house.