Armscor to Introduce .22 TCM Bolt Action Rifle

We covered the .22 TCM round when it was first introduced in a handgun by RIA / Armscor, and it kinda made sense. A zippy .22 caliber round coming out of a handgun can be useful, which is why FN likes their funky 5.7 caliber thingers. But after a full year of it being out there, no one else has picked up the round for production in another firearm. I had assumed that the round had simply died a quiet and dignified death, but apparently I was wrong. Now Armscor is about to introduce a bolt action rifle chambered for .22 TCM . . .

Some of you may be drawing a comparison with 300 BLK, another new caliber that some people here (read: me) have become a little enamored with. And while it’s true that both are new, the 300 BLK actually had a legitimate use case and some nifty features to speak for it. This thing, not so much.

Especially out of a bolt action rifle, .22 TCM doesn’t really figure. It makes sense for a handgun, since that cartridge fits nicely in the grip of a 1911, but when you have already made the decision to go with a full length rifle, why handicap yourself with a smaller case length and hard to find caliber? If you’re wanting a zippy smaller rifle round, then .243 Win is what you should be using.

Armscor will be making these available for sale sometime in July, according to their Facebook page. But I expect this caliber to go the way of the EtronX system before then.

About Nick Leghorn

54 Responses to Armscor to Introduce .22 TCM Bolt Action Rifle

1. avatarRalph says:

True dat. The .243 is a terrific round. Fast, powerful and flat. As popular as it is, the .243 is still underrated. Unfortunately, the buggers have gotten very spendy in recent years. There is a great disturbance in the force when .243s cost more than .308s.

2. avatarJoseph says:

Yes indeed, the .243 is a great round. I’ve often wondered why the AR-15 wasn’t designed around that cartridge by Stoner.

• avatarScottS says:

.243 is noted for burning barrels when used in semiautomatics, fired in large volumes (Winchester 100 for example) totally unsuitable in a military rifle, further, the longer round calls for a true “short action” such as the .308/7.61×51 would use. this would add weight and size to the firearm and weight to the ammo the troops would carry. Effectively they would be carrying a rifle the size of the AR-10 (same rifle but built for the previous mentioned 30 caliber round) rather than the smaller AR-15 sized rifle. This is also the reason why so many 6mm & 6.5 mm caliber rounds failed long term muster as military rounds, yet this issue doesnt pop up as fast with the 5.56 and 7.62 (.22 and .30) caliber rounds due to the way these bores channel the flame fronts.

3. avatarheavy says:

This cartridge won’t be real until dies are available. Or did I just miss them?

4. avatarJim B says:

Well for me personally it would make some sense, notice I said some. I have a FN 5.7 and a silencer to fit it. It would be nice to have a rifle in the same caliber for…hell I don’t know! It wouldn’t be the best coyote or cougar gun that’s for sure. I guess it would work but there are better rounds. But what the hell, I don’t NEED most of the guns I have.

I won’t argue with the .243. It’s a great round. The biggest mule deer I ever shot was shot with a .243 using 100 grain Nosler Partition. Dropped him in his tracks. This was when the .243 was considered marginal for mule deer. Now with bullets as good as they are I don’t think anyone would seriously say that the .243 is not suitable for deer.

• avatarIndyEric says:

You can get an AR57 upper for about $350. BOOM! AR in 5.7

• avatarIndyEric says:

And it accepts standard P90 magazines.

• avatarGyufygy says:

And then I might have some vaguely legitimate reason to get a PS90…as opposed to just drooling about them.

What? I’m 28 and a video game whore. You expect me to not go all fanboy over the P90?

• avatarElliotte says:

I have to ask, where in the world are you seeing those uppers at that price? Cause I’ve been interested in getting one, but everywhere I see it the price is double yours

5. avatarSCS says:

I have the pistol chambered in .22 TCM and it is a blast to shoot. More of a novelty than anything.

• avatarChristine says:

A novelty; are you high? 2000fps coming from a pistol is a bit more than a novelty!

• avatarGreg says:

Yea I have one and its awesome accurate . And something traveling 2050 fps is going to do some damage. I would shoot anything with my TCM and feel like it will get the job done.

• avatarScottS says:

and right here is the reason and justification for the rifle one round two firearms one closeup one for vermin varmints yotes cats and other critters that mess with livestock.. I guess some people don’t get that aspect.

6. avatarAccur81 says:

It’s kinda like a .22 mag except its damn near impossible to find, and more expensive. Awesome idea.

7. avatarensitu says:

6mmRem for me!
    With the improvements to 22 mag why bother with this chambering?
    Heck, 22 Hornet is cheaper!

8. avatarCurzen says:

I’m curious if it is catching on in the Philippines.

9. avatargabba says:

i’d rather have a bolt action rifle in just plain 9×19. especially if it took glock mags.

10. avatarAlex G. says:

While I like the idea, it is probably a bad move for Armscor because now they are competing with 22 hornets and 22 magnums which are both much cheaper and easier rounds to get in comparison.

11. Build a light rifle with a 16″ barrel and offer it as a far more powerful alternative to all traditional rimfire rounds. It would make a lot of sense for small game. In Sweden they use miniature rounds like the 7×33 for pelt hunting and for small mammals and birds. The 22 TCM could well fill that purpose in this part of the world if the pricing works out. No, it is not a .243 – it wasn’t intended to be one.

• avatarScottS says:

Hey, you are making too damned much sense to be posting in this thread!
      The truth is the rifle was introduced for ranchers who have already developed an affinity for the handgun and were yelling for the caliber in a rifle. Building a custom rifle required shortening the receiver and bolt due to feed and ejection issues due to the size of the case, too big to use a Hornet receiver, too short for a short action… so most of the customs ended up single shots ( of which I have one) The caliber itself is submoa and accurate as hell. machine rested I’m shooting 1 inch or less at 300 yd depending on wind with 55 grain boat tails average groups in still air machine rested are half inch, again 300 yds… but you guessed it you cant tell these monkeys on here what the real facts are without them complaining that they can do it with something else. Personally I like having one caliber for two fire arms for when the need fits.

12. avatarAaronW says:

Ah…. a rifle chambered in “.22 Turner Classic Movies”

13. avatarPM says:

On paper I really like .22 TCM. It’s ballistically similar to .22 hornet, it uses common .22 cal bullets, it can be necked down from common .223 brass, it will work in many 9mm handguns with a barrel/spring/extractor swap, and you should be able to easily chamber plenty of rifles in it too (as long as they use a bolt face that’s sized for .223 or 9mm). It sounds like it has the potential to be produced at a low cost, while being viable for many different platforms. It also sounds like it could be a very accurate and flat shooting cartridge.

With that said, I’m not buying into it unless it gains widespread manufacturer acceptance. Too many flash in the pan calibers out there that just never gained popularity.

• avatarCurzen says:

Calibers tend to fail because everyone is waiting for them to be widespread and common. Which nowadays, unless it is being a new development demanded and adopted by a major customer like certain agencies, just won’t happen.

• avatarWal Hangr says:

Glad you mentioned it. Look how long it took the 22Hornet to get acceptance. If it has to any large degree. I’m still a bit curious about this rifle. It looks Good. Solid in the Old School traditional way. Got a Hornet way back when no one else was considering it. Might do the same with this newest offering from RIA.

• avatarScottS says:

Go for it! And remember, most of the data you see is limited due to nobody loading for it yet, I’ve worked up some nice loads that show no stress with 75 grain projos, however my chrono died,,, so I am not too sure of the velocity, I am guessing they are just sub that of the factory due to minimal difference in bullet drop. HOWEVER, I have not yet tried these in the handgun, I need to try the development loads in it and see how they function and look at the brass, an auto pistol and a bolt action are two diff beasts. My Custom single shot is also a horse of a different color as well Built off an old Weatherby MkV I can still push the loads until the brass shows stress but without a chrono, I wont know where the returns drop off so I need to wait until I get it back from being repaired.

14. avatarDyspeptic Gunsmith says:

This is yet another wildcat solution in search of a real world problem.

15. avatarmiforest says:

this will be an orphan caliber in 5 years. if you buy one , buy dies and a couple of cases of factory ammo . lok at the 243 wsm, 25wsm,270wsm,300RUM ,300RSUM, 325WSM. 8mm rem mag, all gone within 5 years. yeah, they still make factory ammo, but it is wildly expensive and has to be ordered.

sadly most stores are carrying fewer and fewer calibers of ammo every year. anything but the most common is getting expensive.

It sounds usefule in a handgun, but there are too many better choices for a rifle.

• avatarJBS says:

I have had a RIA M1911 double stack in 22 TCM for over a year. Ammo is no problem. I just call the number in the original box and order in bulk. It arrives within a week. I have even returned my empty cases for a discount on the order.

Its a blast to shoot but annoys a few people at the range.

• avatarScottS says:

funny but if you look in shops other than wally world those calibers are still available from the big name MFGS damn this thread is filled whit whiners naysayers and knowitalls with empty heads!

16. avatarPaul W says:

Am I the only one that feels like there’s so many calibers I can’t keep track of them already, even without new ones being added?

• avatarLTC F says:

You’re not the only one. I have a lot of WWI and WWII military weapons, so I have boxes of weird stuff like 8mm Nambu, 6.5×50 Japanese, 7.5×57, 7.62×54, .30 carbine etc laying around.

I’ve tried to simplify everything else, so for my hunting/defense/modern weapons everthing is 30.06, .308, 5.56, or .22 in rifles, 12 Gauge for shotguns, and .45 for handguns.

17. avatarE.H.Dixon says:

@JRS:
    I recall having the same problem some years ago while at the range with my AMT Automag III. Between the muzzle flash and the report, people would stop shooting and stare(glare?!) at me until the mags were empty…lol

• avatarScottS says:

If they don’t OWN the range they have nothing to say… I had one fool come up to me and start ranting at me about shooting a .45/70 handgun at the range, one day. So I immediately pulled his membership card tore it up and told him to get out, he was in violation of the rules of the house, I wrote them when my partner and I opened the business, and he was NOT welcome back. The idiot was too stupid to read the sign that said “Lane Reserved for Gunsmith Only”

18. avatarCornhusker says:

Comparing a .243 Winchester to the .22 TCM begs the question: “Well what are you planning to do with the rifle?” I wouldn’t use a .243 for prairie dog varminting and I wouldn’t use the .22 TCM for antelope.

If the thinking here is finding a one size fits all cartridge, then neither the .243 or .22 TCM would qualify as a suitable choice…However, this is America, so we can have as many as we want with spares besides, so the only correct answer is one (or more) of each, if so desired.

19. avatarglenn james says:

I can’t wait to get one, it will replace the 22 mag being it is reloadable and not give all the problems associated with reloading the 22 hornet

20. avatarNotorious says:

Agree with Cornhusker.

A 243 is the only rifle cartridge one should be considering? Really?

I’m not sure how you got this job. Do you know anything about rifles?

If it goes bang when you pull the trigger and puts energy on target that is all the reason you need if you want one.

21. avatarTodd says:

Got a kick out of people comparing this PISTOL cartridge to a 243 rifle cartridge. Try putting the 243 in your pistol lol only your Encore 1 at a time. The TCM moves along @ 2800 fps out of a 20 Inch barrel sounds like fun to me and when you get bored you can load it in your pistol and keep on smiling. Great little cartridge that’s easy to make or reload and not some crazy oddball size caliber that you can’t find bullets for reloading.Great idea Fred Craig.

22. avatarTodd says:

Got a kick out of people comparing this PISTOL cartridge to a 243 rifle cartridge. Try putting the 243 in your pistol lol only your Encore 1 at a time. The TCM moves along @ 2800 fps out of a 20 Inch barrel sounds like fun to me and when you get bored you can load it in your pistol and keep on smiling. Great little cartridge that’s easy to make or reload and not some crazy oddball size caliber that you can’t find bullets for reloading. Great idea Fred Craig .

23. avatarScottS says:

s soon as dimensions were finalized and pistols were produced I bought one (ok ordered and waited) meanwhile I ordered dies and reamers and made a singleshot rifle… and was IMPRESSED. because of the ctg SHAPE the pressure curve is sweet and develops fantastic accuracy. A characteristic the .22 hornet is noted for, BUT it exceeds the hornet, it shoots up to 75 grain projos very nicely, the hornet, not so much, so that makes this a nice yote gun as well as smaller. And it takes then down HARD. If there were a decent selection of .17 projos I’d even consider trying a wildcat on it, just for fun.

24. avatarTZH says:

what about an SMG chambered in .22 TCM? I think that would be badass

25. avatarsarky says:

The TCM might make a good carbine round in say the TNW carbine, That is if the blow back design can handle it. Then you would have a pistol carbine combo all using the same ammo.

26. avatarchad says:

Ha .243 great for hunting what maybe deer but not coyote or fox I hunt them with a 22mag BC that’s all their is anything bigger is a waste of money yeah if your a murderer then use a .243 if u like fox and coyotes to pay for you then maybe it would be smart thinking for 22tcm