Self-Defense Tip: Check to See if You Can Carry Where You Vote!

More than a few states prohibit concealed or open carry at polling locations. Texas voters, for example, should not be strapped according to PC 46.03, which makes it a felony to carry at a polling location. Full text can be found here.

PC §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an
offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or
goes with a f irearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in
Section 46.05(a):
(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution,
any grounds or building on w hich an activity sponsored by a s chool or
educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation
vehicle of a s chool or educational institution, whether the school or
educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written
regulations or written authorization of the institution;
(2) on the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or
while early voting is in progress;

comments

1. avatar jwm says:

With the number of people forgetting to disarm before they go to an airport, I wonder how many more are still strapping at the polling place?

2. avatar Rokurota says:

This post prompted me to check the laws in Virginia, where I live and vote. I had always assumed I couldn’t carry to the polls, but that is apparently untrue, unless you vote in a school or federal building. I vote in a church, so next time I will exercise two of my American rights together!

1. avatar tdiinva says:

My polling place is verbotten — Swanson Middle School. Better watch out about church. If your polling place is in the parish hall of a Catholic Church while Mass is being said it could be interpreted as being at worship service.

1. avatar Rokurota says:

Except the VA code only prohibits carrying in a house of worship during services without “good and sufficient reason.” Our upstanding AG has publicly stated that self defense is a good and sufficient reason. Nuff said.

1. avatar tdiinva says:

Good to know. Is that opinion binding on each Commonwealth Attorney?

2. avatar Rokurota says:

No. The next one could decide the only “good and sufficient reason” is you’re a cop. Enjoy it while you can.

2. avatar Joey says:

Don’t forget in VA your permit is a valid form of id to vote!

3. avatar Willam says:

Since many polling places in Texas are in schools you can get a 2 for 1. I have to park across the street from my polling place (grocery store lot) and disarm to stay legal.

4. avatar Rokurota says:

I also found this article instructive. Open carry at the polls in Virginia is legal, but can cause, um, consternation. In this case, an election official, within his rights to open carry, was told to disarm: http://electls.blogs.wm.edu/2012/11/06/the-battleground-2012-armed-with-more-than-a-vote-guns-in-polling-places-in-virginia/#more-4682

5. avatar Aharon says:

News Flash: Eric Holder won’t prosecute any uniformed New Black Panthers armed with clubs who are loitering and intimidating voters err making statements of freedom and defending their rights at polling stations (sarcasm off).

6. avatar mmccal8 says:

Louisiana is a no go

7. avatar Culpeper Kid says:

I hadn’t thought about it this morning, until my wife asked if I was planning on it, I told her no, this isn’t Philly. And if I had, what they don’t know won’t bother them.

8. avatar RightYouAreKen says:

Washington is all mail-in, so of course I can carry where I vote (home) 🙂

9. avatar Chris says:

SC also a no-no.

10. avatar Bryan P. says:

No carry of any kind in polling places in Nebraska either.

11. avatar Chad says:

I have a permit here in Mississippi, with an endorsement (for training), that lifts most of the restrictions on places where we can not carry. With said, endorsement, you legally can carry at the polls. I cast my vote this morning, for Romney/Ryan, with the teeth of freedom, in my Crossbreed, super tuck, IWB holster.

12. avatar J says:

Hmm, they’ve had early voting at my local grocery store for the past two weeks (TX). I’ve been twice since they started (I wasn’t voting). I wonder If I was breaking a law? I may have to avoid that store during future early elections.

13. avatar speedracer5050 says:

Not in Arkansas. State law says it is prohibited in any polling place/location.

14. avatar Loyd says:

Georgia is a no-no. And most polling places are schools or churches anyways.

15. avatar seanx40 says:

I didn’t even check honestly. Or really even think about it. They didn’t ask, I didn’t tell.

16. avatar Silver says:

Keep it hidden and shut your trap. Not hard.

So long as the NBP and sociopathic leftists (redundant, I know) continue to infect voting places and this country with their presence, I’ll carry.

1. avatar Michael B. says:

This is what I did. The law is an ass.

They said no political discussion in line, prohibited carry, and are generally a bunch of authoritarian jackasses. I personally don’t engage in political discussion with most people because it’s a waste of time but I will say whatever I want and carry discreetly regardless of whatever piddling law’s on the books.

Where would the law be if some madman opened fire on us? Miles away. **** that.

Keep calm and carry on.

17. avatar Steven says:

In Indiana we get to carry. Not only do we, there was a big hubbub back in the primaries where a man was denied to vote (stupid voting poll attendants). so he sued the county. You can see the article Here: http://www.abc57.com/home/top-stories/Guns-allowed-at-the-polls-177358651.html?m=y&smobile=y

18. avatar HAVE GUN says:

I live in Kansas. No sign prohibiting carry so I carried.

If it were illegal I would not so I could honestly say I am a law abiding citizen.

19. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

It is not “permitted” in Missouri, but no illegal. ’nuff said.

20. avatar RiddleofSteel says:

I voted at City Hall. With a 1911 openly on my hip. The police officer in the lobby gave me friendly nod and didn’t say a word. Come to Utah. We like guns here.