It Should Have Been a DGU: Crossbow Incident Edition

As the country deals with the fiscal cliff, superstorms and other general chaos, the mainstream media hasn’t really picked up on this spree killing at a Wyoming college just yet. Three were killed today in a victim rich environment — I mean the gun free zone that is Casper College. Apparently the assailant, who has not been named or captured, used an edged weapon, although the initial report from Casper College spokesman Rich Fujita said the incident involved a crossbow or another similar weapon. The MSM has yet to run with the opportunity this tragedy presents to ban all uh, er… oh never mind. It didn’t involve any black scary rifles or nylon vests with lots of pockets that could be mistaken for body amour. Move along, nothing to see here that fits into the Brady Campaign or MAIG agenda.

comments

1. avatar Sanchanim says:

UPDATE: They now say the suspect committed suicide.

2. avatar Chris Dumm says:

I doubt this kind of killing spree would have been allowed to continue unimpeded at the University of Colorado Boulder campus.

This really should have been a DGU.

1. avatar Sanchanim says:

From your mouth to G-d’s ears…

3. avatar Ross says:

Well we just can’t have people going all medieval on folks can we… let me to be the first to demand some crossbow control! Dang it.

1. avatar Ing says:

After a series of high-profile attacks in 2007, the UK banned samurai-style swords (I dunno about non-samurai swords…maybe they’re not scary enough).

I don’t know if they’ve made it all the way down to pocket knives yet, but it wouldn’t be surprising. Maybe that’s why “glassing” people with broken bottles is a trend over there; take away all the weapons, and people will make weapons out of whatever they’ve got left.

1. avatar Pascal says:

The UK and France once had proposals to need a license to purchase Kitchen knives and UK has very stringent knife laws. It is the oppitimy of a nanny state.

1. avatar Chris Dumm says:

That’s pretty racist, because they didn’t ban Scottish claymores. My sister (a grad student in Edinburgh) got to handle Bonny Prince Charlie’s own sword at a museum. She had to wear curator’s gloves, though.

4. I don’t know if you can really consider two a spree killing. Sounds more like a double homicide followed by the perp killing himself. Anyone wanna bet it was a love triangle gone wrong? Wouldn’t be unprecedented!

Still, my prayers go out to the families involved.

1. avatar Sanchanim says:

A spree killing is roughly two or more individuals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spree_killer

5. avatar mmccal says:

There is a typo is the second to last sentence. “amour” 🙂

1. avatar Sanchanim says:

I will take the blame on that one. 🙂

1. avatar mmccal says:

“body amour” could definitely have a different meaning 😉

6. avatar jwm says:

But, but….according to Bloomie and the Brady Bunch only guns are used to commit murders. And murders only happen because guns are evil and take possesion of the owners soul.

Please tell me I haven’t been mislead by those fine gun control people.

1. avatar Sanchanim says:

Oh dear… You forgot about guns jumping mindlessly out of their locked cases and spraying down tens of people all on their very own!

1. avatar pat says:

It aint the person OR the guns (which are saintly), but the evil bullets with dark minds and souls of their own that do the dirty deeds of the Devil.

2. avatar In Memphis says:

Haha, I have no soul. I guess thats why my Glock hasnt possesed me.

7. avatar ST says:

Clearly the gun control laws in Wyoming helped prevent more bloodshed . As such , all states across America should immediately adopt Wyoming’s progressive and forward thinking gun control policy. It will save lives, paperwork, and time across the nation, although regional unemployment in the law enforcement sectors of Chicago ,NJ, NYC, and California will rise as a side effect.

8. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Casper’s local government is the exception in Wyoming gun politics. As soon as we had CCW laws that followed Vermont, Casper’s city council started banning possession of guns on various local government grounds. Casper College prohibits all “weapons” on campus.

From the local reporting, there’s an interesting vacuum of information. Names aren’t being released, “pending notification of next of kin,” blah, blah. All three were “adults,” and the killings were not “connected with the school.”

Here’s what this paucity of information leads me to believe: There’s a bit of sexual intrigue going on here, and it’s embarrassing for Casper College.

9. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Oh, and the victims were one male and one female.

10. avatar Aharon says:

I would have a degree of respect (though no more be in agreement with) for those who support and advocate “gun-free zones” if they voluntarily posted signs in their front windows and on their doors that their homes are a “gun-free home”.

11. avatar Gregolas says:

The Brady Bunch and their media fellow-travelers missed it on this one. After all, Hugh Jackman had an “assault crossbow” in “Van Helsing”, so there must be such a thing,and ergo,it must be banned.

12. avatar Accur81 says:

Crossbows are pretty wicked weapons, and they are very quiet. I’m actually surprised they are so easy to obtain. In WI, you cannot hunt deer with one unless you are physically disabled. I doubt that we will see crossbow control, and I doubt even more that we need it.

13. avatar DerryM says:

So, if the perpetrator committed suicide…did he/she use the crossbow? Ugly way to go…

14. avatar Buuurr says:

A friend of mine pointed out that sadly this is a great way to show the brainwashed cattle that if someone wants to kill you they will do it with whatever means possible. A hard lesson to learn if you ask me. But it happened and here we are with it. Fantastic. Let’s have mental health evals at license renewal dates. What do you think?

15. avatar Joseph says:

At least “counselor’s are available”….I wonder if any of them had a gun.