Quote of the Day: Deterrence Edition

“A word of warning to people who do stuff like this, watch out, you never know who’s in the background with a gun because they might be legal and able to protect themselves and others around you.” – Unidentified customer, quoted in Suspect fatally shot during Coney Island robbery in Detroit [via myfoxdetroit.com]

comments

1. avatar mdc says:

“Fox News assholes.”Customer turned vigalante”.Customer who was a permit holder did right.

1. avatar JSIII says:

Customer who defended his life lawfully….not freaking Death Wish. I would sue the paper for defamation.

2. avatar Robert Farago says:

Yes there is that. Google search the term “vigilante.” The media uses it with frightening frequency and inappropriate latitude.

1. avatar LongPurple says:

Not to be a conspiracy nut, but I don’t know how many times I’ve cussed at the TV when some “journalist” described an obvious self-defense incident as a potential victim “taking the law into his own hands”.
      That expression and the term “vigilante” are wrongfully used too frequently to be mere coincidence. Are they taught this warped viewpoint in their Journalism courses? Is it a part of the culture of mass media? Is it impressed on them that this is the “right” way for a good employee of the network with ambitions of promotion to think?

3. avatar Patrick says:

“they might be legal”
    What? So if I have an “illegal” gun, maybe I won’t defend myself.

4. avatar racer88 says:

Wow… “vigilante???” WRONG!!!!

5. avatar uncommon_sense says:

I really wish media would understand the word “vigilante” and use it properly. A person who defends themselves or another citizen nearby from an immediate and imminent threat to life is not a vigilante.

6. avatar jwm says:

Isn’t this the whole point of having an armed populace? Being a bad guy gets too risky for all but the most dedicated or desperate of azzholes. With the exception of the ignorant “Journalist” here, nothing but win in this story.

7. avatar Aharon says:

‘vigilante’

One good thing about the modern age is access to the Internet. There is no more reason to rely upon the mass media for news and information than there is a reason not to take primary responsibility for your own security or defense.

8. avatar seanx40 says:

My brothers are DPD. And one of them was at this crime scene. Apparently there was much joy and laughter among the police and laughter at this one. I don’t know about other places, but the DPD loves when the civilians take out the bad guys. One less for them to deal with.

9. avatar percynjpn says: