Turning Ploughshares into Swords: Man Builds AK-47 from Shovel

There’s an old saying about turning swords into ploughshares. It’s from the book of Isaiah in the bible actually, talking about a time when weapons will no longer be needed and the tools of war will be turned into tools of peace. It’s a very hopeful outlook on the future, one that pacifists tend to take to heart. Apparently one man on the Northeast Shooters’ forum didn’t get the message, though, and did the reverse, turning a shovel into a functioning AK-47. And he’s posted pictures of the process. It’s simultaneously the most horrendously awful troll of a weapon and the most beautiful thing I’ve seen all month. Check out all his pictures over at the forum thread.

comments

1. avatar g says:

That’s gotta be one of the most epic DIY I’ve seen in a long time.

Assault shovels FTW!

2. avatar Sammy says:

How many bottles of Vodka did that take?

1. avatar SD3 says:

I’m guessing the vodka is for the range.

3. avatar Sanchanim says:

I would be afraid of shooting the darn thing!
    But wow that is some serious motivation there.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Why? He’s got a for-real barrel blank. The receiver, as he made it, was far thicker than an actual production AK receiver. I see a regular AK-47 bolt on the bench, along with a production gas system. What’s going to give way?

Seriously, people need to quit thinking that guns are terribly complicated to make. They’re not.

Nice guns are difficult to make. Accurate guns can be difficult to make.

But a functional weapon that can shove bullets down the bore to 100 yards?

Pfft. Pud easy.

1. avatar Edward Syrek says:

Good word, and Amen!

4. avatar Lance says:

Next he will use Aluminum pop cans to make a AR-15!

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

There’s nothing complicated about casting aluminum for AR receivers. You can jump-start yourself by making a green sand mold of an existing AR receiver for casting.

Aluminum cans are almost pure aluminum. You could add alloying elements to get Zamak if you wanted better casting characteristics. The only thing on the receivers taking any real strain is the buffer tube mounting point.

But with cast AR-15 receiver blanks running about $30 a pop, the casting exercise isn’t what is all that challenging.

5. avatar OHgunner says:

That… Is… Fucking…. EPIC!

6. avatar Aharon says:

Not to worry. No one needs to be concerned about having to submit their defense arms to be melted into flutes until the there have been confirmed reports of lions laying down with lambs. If lions ever do start laying down with lambs I’m going to seriously start to do some re-thinking about life and my diet.

7. avatar In Memphis says:

I have to admit that the stock/handle is actually pretty sharp looking

8. avatar Blehtastic says:

Dammit, this may have just changed my mind about ak’s

9. avatar jwm says:

But if we regulate and outlaw guns nobody but the approved Gubbmint people will have them. Or not. Look up how easy it is to build a Sten gun. That’s a full auto sub gun that can be built in a garage with some basic tools.

1. avatar In Memphis says:

You must have watched that youtube video from Sons of Guns where snaggletooth gives a tour of her dads office?

2. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Yea, the Sten is very basic. It’s so basic that I’d say that once someone builds one, they should scrap it and then use the experience to build a better gun. The Sten is a dangerous piece of crap if you drop it just right… it was not well regarded by the men who had to carry them.

Better to build something like a M3 “grease gun” as a starting point.

1. avatar jwm says:

Valid points. I have read about the Sten since I was a child. But I’ve actually fired a grease gun. The rate of fire was so slow that it was very controllable and quite accurate within it’s useful range.

3. avatar ithink says:

anyone ever hear of the British Standard Pipe (BSP) 9mm sub gun?

10. avatar Matt in FL says:

This is quite possibly the most awesome thing I will see for the remainder of this year.

1. avatar In Memphis says:

Seconded!

11. avatar CarlosT says:

When guns are outlawed, only guys with shovels (and skills) will have guns.

Seriously, this is the coolest thing I’ve seen in a long time.

12. avatar scottlac says:

Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears; let the weak say, “I am a warrior.”
    (Joel 3:10)

1. avatar jkp says:

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares will plough for those who don’t.

1. avatar scottlac says:

For those who didn’t notice, this verse from Joel is in a different context so it says the opposite of that other, more popular verse.

13. avatar Nate says:

And the verse in Isaiah is talking about the end of this earth, when Jesus makes all things new. Context.

14. avatar Flubnut says:

Quick! Someone call Feinstein! We gotta add “shovel stocks” to the new AWB!

Rep. Caroline McCarthy has introduced a bill to outlaw the shovel thing that goes up.

1. avatar Mike V. says:

Is that the shoulder thing that goes up? I never could figure out what she was talking about. She was shoveling shit all along!

16. avatar Greg Camp says:

There are two kinds of men in this world: Those with guns, and those who dig. You, uh, wait, there are three kinds of men in this world. Those with guns, those who make guns out of shovels, and those who dig. Um, where was I going with this?

1. avatar jwm says:

I dunno. But you took me along. Now we may be both lost.

17. “Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords”

-Attributed to Benjamin Franklin