Nothing really Earth-shattering here. Alternatively, click here to see Popular Mechanics’ (flying cars!) full roster on one page. Or make the jump and I’ll save your mouse the wear-and-tear and list them for you. Given five minutes, most dedicated members of TTAG’s Armed Intelligentsia could name at least eight of them. Go on then. I double dog dare ya. Before clicking over to their slideshow or jumping the page break, see how many you can come up with. And the first one (above) is on us. No cheating. Let the quibbling begin!
1. 13th Century and cannon – Amazing that the technology is virtually the same some eight hundred year later
2. Gatling Gun – Not the most portable gun on earth and prone to malfs but devastating in the right place at the right time.
3. Colt Peacemaker (above) – Peacemaker. Geddit?
4. Maxim gun – The magazine isn’t bad either
5. Colt M1911 – Farago reckons God hand-delivered the design to Moses
6. M2 Browning – Like the Gatling Gun except better.
7. M1 Garand – Ralph’s totemic rifle
8. Uzi – Short and sweet. And not that accurate.
9. AK-47 – You say you want a revolution?
10. Glock 17 – N-n-n-n-n-nineteen!
11. XM-25 – Interesting, yes. At least munitions-wise. Proven? No.