Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day: Officer David Odom [Not Shown]

“An 18-year veteran of the Nederland (Texas) Police Department is home recovering following an incident where he shot himself in the foot.” That’s the report from panews.com. And no, that’s not a metaphor. He really did blow a hole in his hoof. How? Well…”Officer David Odom (not pictured above)…was off duty at Delta Downs in Vinton, La. on Wednesday, Oct. 24, when his gun fell out of his pants. The weapon discharged while he was picking it up.” Never mind the whole Mexican carry thing, that gun only fires if you, well, pull the trigger. So we’ll be sending Officer Odom an IGOTD trophy to admire between chiropodist appointments. The gun safety refresher course will be up to his bosses at the cop shop.

comments

1. avatar Paul says:

This poor dufus is going to have a hard time around the squad room for years to come. 🙂

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Yes. I’d be giving him sh!t for a long time. My maturity level comes and goes, but I can (more or less) be trusted with a bad and a gun.

2. avatar sdog says:

what a fool

3. avatar Billy Wardlaw says:

I would have more sympathy for a negligent discharge if someone would just cop to it – just say, “hey, a made a stupid mistake and I will learn from it, glad no one was hurt”. I would respect that more than perpetuating this myth/lie that guns just go off by themselves.

4. avatar speedracer5050 says:

Oh man!! I have to call my cousin who lives in Nederland and tell her about this. She really hates inherently stupid stuff like this!!
    Might ask her if she can send us a photo of him holding his IGOTD trophy too!!!
    LOL!

5. avatar jwm says:

I’d be curious to know what type of gun that he shot himself with. Did it have a manual safety?

1. avatar speedracer5050 says:

Good question jwm. Must be one of them thar fancy plastic double striker doohickey guns!! 😉
      All 4 of my semi auto’s and three of my revolvers have manual safeties.
      Just my preference for them and the fact I really like the 1911 platform.

1. avatar Hasdrubal says:

I know a guy who shot himself in the leg on a qualification day, was drawing a 1911 from a Serpa holster and his finger hopped from the release button to the trigger. Not on its own, obviously, and he admitted fault.

Not criticizing the platform either, I carry a 1911 on duty… although I’m thinking of switching to a revolver.

1. avatar jwm says:

I had a cousin shot himself in the leg with an old school Ruger .45 blackhawk revolver. Single action he had the gun pointing down against his leg and thumbcocked it with his finger on the trigger, thumb slipped and down his leg and out his foot went the bullet.

And yes, every family gathering he get’s to relive his moment of brain fart, over and over.

2. avatar speedracer5050 says:

Me personally I have never liked the Serpa or Kydex in general. Love my Milt Sparks holsters for my 1911’s and my Uncle Mikes for my revolvers.
          Finger just naturally lays along the slide or the bottom of the cylinder when drawing but don’t normally do a lot o speed draws or quick draws.

2. avatar Matt in FL says:

I’d also be curious to know if it had a 12# trigger. I’d think it’d be nearly impossible to fire one of those while merely “picking it up.”

6. avatar Stephen-KY says:

Should this award be named after Barney Fife when the winner is a LEO.

1. avatar bontai Joe says:

Barney’s gun handling skills were certainly poor, but I don’t believe he ever shot himself or anyone else for that matter.

7. avatar speedracer5050 says:

@ jwm….surely you don’t give him s!!t about it do you??? 😉

1. avatar jwm says:

Yes I do, as he would me if the situation was reversed.

Ha! Odom pulled a Burress. No wonder Odom rhymes with “so dumb.”

9. avatar Gs650g says:

Odom I means ice in Korean. Which is what his foot is on right now.