What Could Possibly Go Wrong: Car Holster Edition

About Robert Farago

32 Responses to What Could Possibly Go Wrong: Car Holster Edition

1. avatarSkyler says:

I have a grassburr holster that’s made for mounting like that. I keep it exactly in the same position as shown but I don’t remove it from the car. It stays in place all the time. The big difference is that I keep a cover on it to keep it concealed, which is required in Texas.

I’m not sure why you put the negative spin on this, and at the same time you get paranoid over Halloween.

2. avatarandrew says:

I think its an excellent idea.

3. avatarJoshinGA says:

What could possibly go wrong?

A brandishing a weapon in public charge?

• avatarbeanfield says:

I’m not sure how it would legally qualify for “brandishing”. It doesn’t appear that someone could see the gun from outside the car while holstered….and even if you could it’s not being shown in a threatening manner.

Of course, laws vary by state. Perhaps someone with a better legal background than I have could chime in?

• avatarJoshinGA says:

Perhaps I should elaborate. Not really so much having the gun holstered under the steering wheel while driving, but when you go to remove it from the car holster and place back into your on-person holster. Just a thought.

• avatarbeanfield says:

Yeah, I see what you’re saying. I’ve never had a problem migrating my pistol to and from the mini safe in my car. I carry every day and my employer doesn’t allow CCW at work. Not to mention I have to go from StL to IL every so often which pretty much involves dismantling the firearm and hiding the bullets in some place very uncomfortable (like the back of a volkswagon). I end up setting my cabled lockbox on my passenger seat and moving my IWB holstered gun into the lockbox, then placing the whole thing under my seat. I think as long as you don’t actually brandish it (I.E. point it at someone or openly display it in a threatening manner), you’re fine. Of course, using some common sense in making sure you’re not doing it when people can see you always helps. I don’t plan on being the test case for brandishing laws in my state.

4. avatarMatt in FL says:

Didn’t we discuss this exact same thing a couple months ago? Hell, I even linked to the Grassburr holsters that Skyler mentioned. Although I didn’t at that point, I have and use one now.

5. avatarflboots says:

I didn’t see a negative spin on this. Ill have to try it on a truck. Good idea.

6. avatarOhioShooter says:

The only issue I can think of is that in the event of a car wreck this may not hold onto your piece very securely and you might have one more piece of debris flying around inside your car. On the other hand most people have TONS of ready made projectiles in their car already so probably not that big of a deal.

7. avatarjacquejet says:

The only thing I see is going from one holster to another twice each time you enter and leave the car. My preference is to leave the gun in the holster if at all possible.

8. avatarensitu says:

Years ago a CCW permit holder was arrested and imprisioned for several years in King County WA because he had his handgun on the seat beside him instead of in a holster so the big question (in King County) is “would this holster, external from the body, be grounds for prision time as well?”

• avatarSkyler says:

Local laws will vary.

• avatarCarlosT says:

Specifically:

RCW 9.41.050: Carrying Firearms

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee’s person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

So under the law as it stands now, you’re fine with this as long as you have a CPL, and either take the gun with you or lock it up when you leave the car.

9. avatarensitu says:

shoulder holster

10. avatarsanchanim says:

From the stand point of whether this is a good idea, it is smart in the sense that it works. For protecting yourself from a seated position in a car, it is spot on.
    Now my other question is, if you have open carry as an option in your state, plus CCW, then I guess this would work. You are never really outside the law in that instance.
    Many other places this would be frowned upon since well it isn’t really concealed so unless open carry is legal then it pushes it.

11. avatarJoe Grine says:

Nothing to see here, kids, moving on….

12. avatarThomasR says:

I like it; but here in NM, OC is legal without a license and your car is an extension of your home so you can keep a pistol in view or concealed without needing to inform a cop if you’re stopped.

13. avatarNewge says:

Shooting yourself while sweeping your leg or your foot when coming out of that thing. Not a fan of these setups.

• avatarbeanfield says:

That’s pretty much the same with any IWB holster if you’re in a car and shooting out of the window that’s opposite your shooting hand. If you’re right handed and shooting out the drive side door you’re either going to draw from your right hip and muzzle your leg/foot or somehow be cognizant enough in an emergency to do a very unnatural motion to clear everything. No?

• avatarSkyler says:

Good grief.

You face the same “risk” with any holster on your belt when standing at a pistol range.

14. avatarrussell says:

Seems like a good idea to me. The only potential “things” I could see are already covered above.

1 Possibility of ND because of things/fingers/protrusions getting in the trigger guard because of cramped, awkward body positioning
    2 Sweeping yourself/stuff you don’t want to shoot when you move your piece from on body to holster
    3 Making it obvious that you are carrying when you doing any of that.

Still, being careful negates all of those things, and you should be careful with firearms anyway. I do it, seems to work well for me. I just keep a spare holster jammed between the seat and the console, and swap my pistol between the two as I get in, and as I get out. As long as I’m being careful with the trigger guard and maintaing muzzle awareness, it hasn’t presented a problem yet, nor do I think it ever will. I keep a hat on the dash to throw on it as I’m driving so I don’t scare the shit out of the hoplophobic weenies who might freak out and call the cops.

15. avatarBarstow Cowboy says:

Buy this thing, specially designed for the purpose, you attach with bolts on to any surface inside your car:

You don’t have to rubberband it to your steering column.

16. avatarMBryant says:

In Texas, concealed means concealed – if the handgun is in your vehicle’s glove box and you open said box, for example to retrieve your proof of insurance in response to a LEO’s request, the handgun is no longer concealed & you could be found in violation of CCW laws.

17. avatartdiinva says:

If you own a pistol with a safety then you will be fine. A Glock not so much.

18. avatar4thInfantryVet says:

My view :
    Whatever takes a step or a possible obstacle out of drawing from a seated position in a car is a good thing.

Having been in firefights in the shittiest holes of Iraq I have seen Rangers and Special Forces forget to take their safety’s off or forget how to clear a jam, I have done so likewise. I know that the effect of adrenaline will turn anybody into a bleeding idiot within seconds and that any help that one can give themselves to prevent that idiocy from being their last moment is well-deserved.

I see no safety issues not present in most other holsters in a seated car seat situation and I see no legal issues (I’m in GA for what it’s worth) with pulling a weapon out of a holster and placing it into another holster. GA law states that a loaded weapon can be anywhere in your car, concealed or open display. The CCW laws take effect AFTER you leave your car.

19. I can’t believe no one mentioned this…I would be more concerned about being pulled over by a LEO who gets jumpy upon seeing a weapon on the dash.

20. avatarLarry says:

Sweeping yourself/forgetting to take the safety off/other semi-auto issues fall out of the picture by carrying a revolver. A revolver has no safety, will not go off accidentally, doesn’t jam and in the event it fails to fire, simply pull the trigger again. I have no use for a semi-auto handgun, popularly called a “pistol”. My next birthday I will see the big seven oh and until the last ten years or so, all hand guns were pistols and then the semi-auto owners started the pistol and revolver crap. Pistol and revolver. they’re both handguns. That’s like this “gays and lesbians” stuff. That’s like saying “queer and queer”. A semi-auto can fire thousands of rounds in practice and never jam, but a jam can happen with the first time you pull the trigger or 2,000 rounds later or anytime in between. You never know when it’s going to happen, but when a perp is coming at you from 10 feet away with a knife or machette, you don’t have time for the “tap, rack, etc” after a chap named Murphy kicks in. Murphy stays away when you’re using a revolver.