Weatherby Vanguard That

Robert Kaleta is the Director of Communications & Technical Operations at Carl Zeiss Sport Optics. You might not expect Kaleta to play favorites when it comes to deciding upon which sporting firearm he places glass. Wrong. And for good reason (see: above). “I’ve owned the new Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 for just over a year now. The Vanguard Series 2 has moved to the front of the gun safe as my new ‘go to’ rifle. In one year’s time this rifle has allowed me to anchor 3 Bull Elk, 2 Antelope, 1 Mule Deer, and a Barbary Sheep. The .300 Wby Magnum is an absolute knockout for both instantaneous lethality and for accurate long distance shooting. I have never crossed paths with a better out of the box rifle for quality components, dependability and one hole accuracy at such an attractive price point. Well done to Team Weatherby and to your design team.”

comments

1. avatar MotoJB says:

Took my one and only big game (a moose) in Denali National Park with a 300 Weatherby Mag. Moose only took a few steps…pretty much “…in its tracks”. I was impressed.

2. avatar Accur81 says:

The 300 Weatherby is indeed a heavy hitter, but I’d much rather have a 300 Win Mag. There are more ammo choices and availability, and some of the Superperformance 300 Win ammo gets pretty close to 300 WTBY in performance. I’m pretty partial to heavy barrel 700 Remingtons,though. YMMV.

1. avatar jwm says:

.300 Win mag in a belgium made Browning auto rifle. One of the sa-weetest handling and shooting rifles I’ve ever had in my hands.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Sounds like a sweet machine!

3. avatar bill says:

Howa = best kept secret in rifles since S&W started importing them in the 80’s.

4. avatar Richard Nelson says:

Weatherby has been selling the Vanguard since 1970

S&W imported them with thier name on them as well as Mossberg.

All are bulit by Howa Machinery.

Howa Machinery in Japan also built the Mark V after production was moved from Germany until production was moved to Saco Defense in Maine in 1995

Howa sells the rifle under thier own name also.

5. avatar bontai Joe says:

I heard the best place to shoot a moose is somewhere close to the truck, is that true? LOL.