TTAG New Comment / Post Notification System Good to Go. Again.

Some time in 1863 (in Internet time), TTAG’s new comment and post notification system went Tango Uniform. Our web guys (Zippy Kid) eventually gave up waiting for Jetpack’s de-bugging efforts and rolled back the comment system to the previous version. Et voila! You can now tick the little boxes beneath the comment box to sign-up for email notification for new comments under a thread or all new posts. It’s easy enough to remove either or both with the link provided in the email. If your in-box is as full as Jiffy Pop popcorn note that we’ve also set-up WordPress to Tweet new posts automatically. RSSers can click on the little logo on the home page to set that up. Anyway, the notification system is a thing of beauty. Go play! Just don’t break it. And thanks for your patience.

comments

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I noticed a couple days ago it was working. I was waiting for three continuous working days before I sent you an email. Thank you very, very much.

2. avatar GS650G says:

Thanks for you efforts. Thousands depend on this site for their well being. And MikeB203000 depends on it for traffic to his.

3. avatar sanchanim says:

Woot woot!!!
    I was having withdraws here RF!! I am used to sifting through my emails when I get up with coffee. Of course any responses I make at that time are most likely less coherent. But hey glad to know things are back to normal!!

4. avatar Mark N. says:

Tango Uniform??? Word Press?? RSS? Huh? I just want to read and post comments here and nowhere else. I don’t know what this other stuff is, and I’m not so sure I want to find out. Yeah, it’s been pretty funky the last few days with script errors and all that made it a real pain just to change pages. And no edit function was “unpleasant.” And I am not so sure I approve of the “new” “rollback” edition. The old system used to remember me, so all I had to do was enter a comment. Now, every time I want to comment I have to fill out the name and e-mail lines. Sure it’s enter one letter and clidk, but still not as easy as it used to be.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Mark N., try clearing your cache and trying again. It’s remembering me just fine. It’s not remembering the check in the “Notify me” boxes, but that’s a minor thing, as long as the email and Name fields are filled.

5. avatar DrewN says:

Still not working for me in Firefox, even with ad-block and no script disabled.

6. avatar johnfritz0 says:

I’m not understanding the commenting features as they are currently. Am I still not able to modify text, add links and create other mischief?

7. avatar Fyrewerx says:

After clearing the cache, cookies, and history on my Internet Explorer, I still have an issue when leaving a comment (and also retyping email address and name, where I must type over the top of those words – Email and Name. Also, in Internet Explorer, typing as a Reply puts the post at the end of the thread instead. I’ve noticed a few other folks having the same issue. I don’t have that issue when using one of my PCs with Chrome installed.

1. avatar Fyrewerx says:

I take it all back. I needed to close and reopen Internet Explorer after clearing the cache. Thanks MattFL.

8. avatar AlphaGeek says:

When you’re planning your next comment system upgrade (presumably in 2016 given your recent experiences) it would be lovely to have:
    – like or upvote/downvote buttons to cut down on “+1” posts
    – “report abuse” or “flag for moderator” button

The TTAG crew does a great job moderating the comments, no criticism implied.

1. avatar RuffRidr says:

I agree with the above comment. I’d also like to see a ‘see all posts by this user’ link, and an ‘ignore this user’ link.

9. avatar bontai Joe says:

thank goodness you got this fixed up and running.