Chicago: 400 Gun Deaths in 2012. And Counting.

I also blame unemployment for Chicago’s soaring homicide rate. Somebody’s got to do something. And Ceasefire’s taxpayer-funded “violence interrupters” (a.k.a., unaccountable ex-cons) are just the folks to do it. Or not.

About Robert Farago

34 Responses to Chicago: 400 Gun Deaths in 2012. And Counting.

1. avatarCarlosT says:

Wait, what? I thought guns didn’t exist in Chicago.

• avatarKelly in GA says:

Yeah, they have a magic spell around the city that makes guns disapparate at the city limits. It also makes the city look run down to keep out the muggles, just like at Hogwarts. Oh, wait, it really is that ugly? Never mind.

Boy, I’m really showing my (lack of) age, huh?

• avatarSteven says:

I visit this domed city every once in awhile. Can’t say it’s 100% proof cause I’m still concerned about being on that southwest side of the city. I’d feel better if I could carry around town.

• avatarAnon in CT says:

Maybe the problem is that everyone in Chicago is irritated by being trapped in that damned dome all day?

• avatarTheConnectSean says:

@Anon CT. Is Connecticut feeling trapped in that damned dome all day?

• avataragb253 says:

The supreme court found Chicago gun control unconstitutional in July 2010. “I thought there were no guns in Chicago.” What are you talking about? Of course you can have a gun in Chicago, both legally and illegally.

2. avatarJoseph says:

Who cares how many gang bangers shoot each other in Chicago, New York, or anywhere else. They are doing the world a favor. Give ‘em more ammo.

3. avatarJoshinGA says:

Not to be crass, but is this really a shocker to anyone?

4. avatarjwm says:

Just accept the fact that the badguys are going to be armed. Quit impeding the good guys that want to be armed and set a high burden of proof when someone with a clean background shoots someone with a “history” so the good guy isn’t ground down by the system.

5. avatarAlphaGeek says:

Are there any decent stats on how many of the casualties (dead or injured) are innocent victims of criminals, and how many casualties were suspicious characters (aka previously convicted criminals or known gang members) themselves?

Seems to me that rationalizing the gun laws in IL would have a very direct and comprehensible impact on preventing innocent-victim casualties… But less so when it comes to criminal-on-criminal violence.

6. avatarRIGHT! says:

Professional? Like the NYPD?
    I am miles above them in professionalism

7. avatarCarlosT says:

I’m on the fence about this comment. It’s pretty standard anti-gun stuff, but I’m wondering if the last line is a setup, just waiting for one of us to come in with a Lee Paige punchline.

8. avatarWill says:

RACISM DISCUSSION REMOVED

MATT HAS BEEN BANNED

9. avatarAharon says:

Sure, unemployment affects gang and criminal activity well usually. Despite the unemployment spike since 2008, crime and violent crime nationwide has not increased. Actually, crime is down in many categories especially violence crime nationwide. Why Chicago? It is not PC yet the city has two large populations of people from racial/ethnic groups that have a very high criminal-activity history. One reason is that many males from the black and Hispanic culture often have a belief in the utter despondency of their lives. America is far more focused on shattering some supposedly unfair glass ceiling for women than on being concerned with the glass floor that many tens of millions of men have fallen through being unskilled, uneducated, in prison, or living on the street.

10. avatarJoe says:

More gun buy backs please. Obviously, they worked so well, but there are still some guns out there. We need a gun buy back every day. If it saves just one life, it will be worth it.

11. avatarplumbump says:

Wait, gun deaths? Those poor guns, dying left and right… We must do SOMETHING!

12. I blame the criminals who actually do the crimes, number one, and I blame you gun-rights activists, number two.

You are the ones responsible for the ease with which these young violent boys get their guns. And gun availability is one of the major factors involved in the messy business.

• avatarDerryM says:

Would you explain how you see that mechanism works since us gun-rights activists obey the gun laws (even the ones we don’t like)?

The guns used by these ‘young violent boy’s are being illegally smuggled into Chicago along with the illegal drugs…you know, Criminal Enterprise, one source shopping for all your gang banger needs…Drugs, Guns and Whores at deeply discounted prices…

• avatarChas says:

Well, Mikey, we blame you for lying about the effectiveness of gun control.

Liar.

So there.

Nananabooboo.

• avatarGS650G says:

wow, i didn’t know we were handing cute young boys in Chicago guns. I guess now I know.

• avatarjwm says:

This blood is actually on your hands Mikey. This level of violence doesn’t happen in the areas where it’s easy for citizens to exercise their civil rights and go armed. It’s primarily in places like Chicago. You know, the places that have strict gun laws like you push for.

And since this violence is happening in poor inner city areas populated by mostly non whites this shows once again the racism that you gun grabbers are steeped in.

13. avatarDerryM says:

Tell me again how banning firearms to the non-criminal Citizen stops gun-involved violence and how the Chicago Police are doing a good job…I must have missed something.

14. avatarjimf says:

The last stat I heard on the radio this week was that 1/4 t0 1/3 of the deaths were gang members…so, I don’t count them as victims…more of a self-inflicted death.

15. avatarGS650G says:

“MATT HAS BEEN BANNED”
    Long time coming.

16. avatarRalph says:

I’m so happy that the Second City is actually first in something.