Caracal Recalls F and C Pistols: Not Drop-Safe

Well that sucks. On the same day that I received my most excellent RKBA kydex holster for my superlative Caracal C semi-automatic pistol, a TTAG reader emailed me a heads-up on the gun’s recoil. Which is as mild as a .32. I mean, recall. “Caracal USA has determined a potential condition of the trigger unit in a very limited number of Caracal F and C pistols that could possibly allow the pistol to fire when dropped onto a hard surface with a round in the chamber. Although Caracal USA has not received any reports of injuries, it is initiating this voluntary recall to protect the safety of its customers because of the remote possibility of an unintentional discharge occurring . . .

“The affected Caracal pistols have serial numbers that begin with B, C, F, L, or M. If your pistol’s serial number begins with one of these letters [it does], please follow the following steps.

“Only the Caracal F and C pistols with the serial numbers identified above are affected by this recall. If your pistol has a different serial number, it is not subject to the recall.

“If you own a Caracal F or C pistol with a serial number identified as being affected by this recall, please do not load or fire your Caracal F or C pistol and contact us immediately to arrange to have the trigger unit replaced, completely free of charge.”

Back to the Glock 30SF. The Raven holster does a terrific job of hiding the Austrian hammer’s bulk, but I can—could carry the Caracal under a T shirt without printing. I’ll let you know how Caracal’s customer service works out. [h/t Mark S Wild]

comments

1. avatar jwm says:

Well that really does suck. And further proof that if at all possible don’t be a one gun person. If this was your only means of protection you’d be SOL until you could remedy that problem. Always have a plan B.

RF has plans A through ZZ

2. avatar Don says:

Hey RF, do you know if the gun safe in the picture is California DOJ compliant? I may get one.

3. avatar John Fritz says:

So then is there also a danger that the woofy will fire if dropped on a hard surface? Hope not!

4. avatar jbyrne27 says:

I think RF is trying to say the Caracal isn’t house broken. It can drop its load unexpectedly.

1. avatar Don says:

Technically that would mean it’s not neutered 😉

5. avatar ST says:

Color me puzzled.

The Caracal has a firing pin block similar to Glock’s offering. While I don’t doubt any idiot can sink to their own incompetence, I fail to see how the Caracal isn’t “drop safe” if it has a firing pin safety.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

Rest assured: I will ask.

2. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Easy. There’s a problem with the design or machining of the parts in the FP safety.

The interference between the FP and the FP block isn’t huge in most any gun that has a FP safety.

1. avatar Duke says:

It is a striker block not a firing pin block. Mostly because the Caracal is striker fired not firing pin fired. (rolls eyes)

6. avatar g2 says:

My condolences RF… But that reminds me; isn’t the Caracal SC supposed to be bowing soon? Now THAT might soften the separation anxiety!

7. What did you expect from a UAE gun?

1. avatar RKBA says:

The Caracal was designed by the same Wilhelm Bubits who designed the Steyr M, C, and S series pistols, not to mention the beloved Glock for Gaston.

So, while it was created for the UAE, it is still very much a German/Austrian design.

8. avatar Thomas Paine says:

still waiting for the SC to become available.

9. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

I really enjoyed shooting your Caracal a few months back, and it was very easy to control. I love my 30SF and you’ve got nothing to worry about if you’re packing that baby.

10. avatar Matt in Atl says:

Not sure if you ever got you original gun back, but Caracal is now just sending new guns back in lieu of repair.