New Pistol Caliber Carbine: Aero Survival Rifle

TNW Firearms just released their brand new firearm to the world, and it looks like they designed it with pilots in mind. Specifically, survival once their plane crashes. Although I suppose it would be good for backpacking as well. Anyway, what we have here is a survival rifle in 9mm (although able to do 40 and 45 as well) that clocks in around $500 and appears to be pretty damned lightweight. The gun also takes Glock mags, which will make getting spares pretty easy. Sounds like something else we reviewed recently. Anyway, make the jump for the presser…

TNW Firearms, Inc. of Vernonia, Oregon has released a new pistol caliber carbine, the that has unique disassembly/assembly capabilities. This rifle can be broken down to its main components in under a minute and stored in a “grab and go” or “bug-out-bag”. The ASR has multiple caliber capability, easily changing from 9mm to .40 S&W to .45 acp. Check out the world’s first presentation to the public by Carter Cutlery who happens to be friends with the owner of TNW Firearms.

The MSRP of this rifle is $575 in .40 S&W or 9mm and $595 in .45 acp. The extra caliber components and “grab and go” bag are sold separately. Rifles are available for immediate delivery.

About Nick Leghorn

33 Responses to New Pistol Caliber Carbine: Aero Survival Rifle

1. avatarBilly Wardlaw says:

Neat! but no 22LR? Hmmm =P
    It just seems to me having it in 45ACP & 22LR would be optimal.

2. avatarMax says:

Meh, need a compact 9mm or .40 S&W carbine? Why not 2ub-2000?

Oh right, I’m the only one whose been able to find one…

• avatarRubberDucky says:

That cut me to the core! :-) I’ve been looking for a year!

• avatarLC Judas says:

I just got one about four months ago…after seven years of looking. It’s ridiculous to say the least.

• avatarKelly in GA says:

You make me feel lucky. I got mine six years ago, and I didn’t know I wanted it until I saw it in the store. I knew I wanted a G17, but I was only 19. It was set up for G17 mags, though, and I bought it on impulse. Best impulse buy ever.

• avatarMax says:

That is ridiculous!! I walked into a major Washington state gun show on a Saturday 2 years ago and saw several of them and didn’t buy anything. Came back Sunday before church and picked one up. I even drooled on a couple RFBs at the same time.

Maybe KelTec likes us up in the Pacific Northwest?

Double post for initial incorrect reply…

• avatarMatt says:

Hmm… I’ve got one in Beretta92 configuration for sale on Gunbroker…

3. avatarMister Joeboto says:

They spelled the name of this rifle wrong on their main page. I still want one though.

4. avatarAccur81 says:

One of these in 9 mm would be pretty damn cool, as long as it is as accurate and reliable as advertised. Either way, I’m going to have to wait a bit because I just bought in another upper.

5. avatarIndyEric says:

I’ll take mine in 10mm.

6. avatarMark N. says:

How do these carbines effect muzzle velocities? Seems like it would make a nifty home defense weapon.

7. For survival, where you may need to hunt, or as a lightweight airplane gun, I could see where .357Sig, or 10mm might be better caliber options, as they would probably do better especially if bear were a concern.

8. avatarjwm says:

It’ll never make it to California. That’s too bad, I’d like a nice lightweight pistol caliber carbine to use as a range toy and companion to my 9mm pistol. 9 is cheap enough to provide a lot of fun at the range.

9. avatarThomas Paine says:

hmmm……did anybody catch the weight?

10. avatarCharlie says:

Meh. If this is supposed to be a camp carbine then I’ll keep my Uzi.

11. avatarryanckolbe says:

Why would someone go for this over the Kel-Tec folding carbine?

• avatarJoshinGA says:

battery of arms similar to AR platform and interchangeable calibers for 9, 40, and 45?

• avatarDan says:

so basically no advantages over a multi caliber AR.

• avatarJoshinGA says:

Well he was asking compared to a sub2K…

I would rather buy a 9mm upper for my AR, and it would be a tad cheaper too. But if you compare the two, the Aero Rifle breaks down into a smaller package than my AR, and is probably lighter as well.

• avatarMando says:

Well I’m looking at this because the receiver appears to be an alloy. I wanted a Sub2000 but have seen pics were the receiver has cracked or broken completely. I’m replacing my AK because in an urban setting for self defense the AK offers too significant a liability with way too much penetration. Great for a war gun but not what I need if an intruder comes looking for issues. I decided that an Glock Mag 9mm carbine to compliment my G19 would be ideal. That leaves the options as the KT Sub2K, the Thurion, the JR Carbines and the TNW ASR The Thurion ideal but is near a grand and the JR carbines suffered some initial issues including that it doesn’t like +P ammo. The KT is the lightest and the most affordable but it isn’t rated for +P and its material does make it inherently less durable. For the money I think the JR and the TNW ASR offer the best option of construction, durability , affordability and compatibility. They also allow for some AR parts and the use of the smaller Glock mags like the 19. The ASR’s price and offing in affordable conversions are also a big factor. I wish it were fully ambidex or at least partially like the JR but hey… cant have it all. That’s why I’M leaning this way.

12. avatarDanny says:

As a pistol-caliber-carbine it looks like a good enough gun. As a pilot survival gun, it doesn’t offer much over the Papoose or the AR-7, except a bigger caliber.

13. avatarheliowner says:

I want one but I am not a heliowner… too bad

14. avatarDoug says:

can you put a bump fire stock on it?

15. avatarrlc2 says:

Cool gun but I don’t get the pilot survival part. In a downed aircraft scenario (malf, wx, etc) you would stay with the plane until SAR shows up. A pistol works for self defense except in AK. There I read pilots carry Alaska Guide guns or shotgun for bear. No need for super light unless you are walking out and I’d still trade up for heavier caliber instead of space saving… Ymmv.

16. avatarDave says:

I know this is pretty old, and I know I’m only like 10 seconds in to the video, but… “sunny” Vernonia, Oregon? Obviously has not been in Vernonia very much…