1,000 Yard Rifle for $945: Confirmed

OK, so my original plan didn’t work out. The Weatherby was an awesome hunting rifle, but the combination of the rifle and the optic didn’t quite work for long range work. What did work amazingly well, however, was the Remington 700 AAC-SD with a Primary Arms scope. Using some 200 grain handloads I was able to ring the gong at the end of the range — 1,000 full yards away. You have no idea how happy it makes me to finally report on a gun that I’ve confirmed to be a 1,000 yard gun. And to confirm that on such a beautiful day was a pure joy.

comments

1. avatar sdog says:

yes! this is awesome to know that it is possible with the aac sd. I have one but i have not shot it yet because i am still waiting for my McMillan tactical stock for it. pretty sweet.

2. avatar sanchanim says:

Question to Nick, do they make it for lefties? I don’t mind my AR in righty, and can get ambie safeties etc, but a bolt action I prefer for south paws.

1. avatar APBTFan says:

Remington does make southpaw rifles but with that particular model you may be doing a Private Jackson from “Saving Private Ryan”.

3. avatar Chris Dumm says:

I’m still looking for the load (and some non-windy weather) to stretch my own 700 PSS out to the 1,000 yard mark. Even with an incomparable Accuracy International AX-308 I struggled past 800 yards. Some others did fine at that range, so it was probably operator headspace error.

1. avatar David N says:

Try Reloader 15 powder behind 175 grain SMKs seated to magazine length, Federal 210M primers and Winchester brass.

1. avatar Joe says:

Hey there, I shoot Palma, so 45.6gr Varget on 155gr Palma bullets.
        I can tag the 1000 meter (paper) target competitively all day.
        I say it depends on what you want to do at that range.

4. avatar Fitz19d says:

Done in how many shots and repeatable…?

1. avatar Nick Leghorn says:

Three rounds to walk it on target, three subsequent rounds in a row.

5. avatar dubyabee says:

Now NIck, can you start ringing (regularly) the 10 and X rings on the NRA long range target? To be clear, I’m not trying to demean, I’m trying to challenge and encourage. GO FOR IT! I’ve pulled targets for some of the nations best Palma shooters and seeing them knocking the spotter out of the X-ring over and over is a thing of joy.

6. avatar RandomHero says:

where did this 1000yard shot take place? as far as i know there isnt any “long range” ranges in SA.

1. avatar Nick Leghorn says:

Best in the West range outside Austin. Same place where the Ted Nugent “long range” thing happened, actually.

7. avatar Mike says:

Nick, did you dremel out the stock to relieve the float problem? If not, how did you address that?

I have a Remington 700 in an HS Precision M24 stock with an adjustable comb. I highly recommend this as your next upgrade.

1. avatar Nick Leghorn says:

I didn’t — hit the thing without a free floating barrel. Worked fine.

8. avatar Brad Majors says:

Nick, in your initial review of the Remington 700 AAC-SD you mentioned several times how well it worked with a silencer. Was this test performed with or without the silencer? If without, how do you think a silencer would affect the accuracy?

1. avatar Kyle says:

Silencers tend to slow the muzzle velocity to much to keep accuracy. But if your load is large enough to keep the velocity high enough at that range then it should not be much of a problem.

1. avatar brando says:

Silencers don’t bleed your velocity at all. Foghorn actually has already done a post on that complete with boxplots and everything:

9. avatar JetJockChunk says:

Good job, Foghorn! Now, what is your personal opinion on the LWRC R.E.P.R.? I’m interested in getting that as my thousand yard gun. It definitely blows past your $1,000 limit for this article.

10. avatar Richard in WA says:

I know this is an old post, but as a Weatherby owner I’d be interested in reading more about the original build as well.

Awesome acheivement, BTW. I am wondering if the Savage AXIS Heavy-Barrel models would be another good candidate for such a task.

11. avatar Joe says:

You’re either shooting a Remington 700, or getting your ass kicked by one.
    Chose wisely 😉