Kohout Gives Heizer the Heave-Ho

Been wondering what’s causing the holdup with the DoubleTap? The titanium over/under wondergun was originally promised back in March. It’s now October with nada in sight. A just-released statement from the DoubleTap’s inventor, Ray Kohout sheds some light on the situation:

To our valued customers:

As the inventor of the DoubleTap™ pistol and owner of the design and utility patents, along with other intellectual property including the DoubleTap™ name, I am issuing this press release to inform our loyal customers of the current status of the production of this new innovative pistol . . .

Since we introduced the DoubleTap™ Tactical Pocket Pistol in November of last year, we have been overwhelmed by the industry reception; the popularity confirmed by literally tens of thousands of orders placed by consumers to their dealers, through our distributor partners.

Unfortunately, with the deepest regret, today I announce that we have terminated our relationship with HEIZER DEFENSE, our manufacturing partner, due to their inability to manufacture the DoubleTap™ pistol.  I cannot comment further on this subject at this time, under advice from legal counsel, due to pending litigation.

It is our intention to immediately license the design to a leading firearms manufacturer or to align with another manufacturing source to produce the DoubleTap™. We intend to accomplish this as quickly as possible to satisfy the huge demand for the DoubleTap™ pistol.  I will make a further announcement as soon as we have established a new manufacturing agreement.

Please visit our new website www.doubletapfirearmsllc.com for news updates.

Sincerely,

Raymond B. Kohout
Inventor, DoubleTap™

comments

1. avatar Jim says:

Am I the only one who noticed they list their location as “St. Louis, MO, USA Earth” on the side of the gun? Is there a St. Louis outside the US? Is there a planet other than Earth I can send mail to? What do they know that I don’t?

1. avatar Brian says:

Personally, I think that’s awesome. More companies should have a sense of humor with the legalese they’re require to stamp on guns!

1. avatar Ben says:

Check out Spyderco knives, same thing.

The one I have right now is labeled “Golden, Colorado. USA, Earth”

1. avatar OODALoop says:

Mine says Spyderco Delica 4 on both sides…

2. avatar CRCobb says:

Is there a St. Louis, Missouri outside of the USA?

1. avatar CRCobb says:

Oh, I forgot – LOL.

2. avatar VaqueroJustice says:

Anyone notice that the page listed above is blank ?

3. avatar jwm says:

Can’t get excited about a space age derringer.

4. avatar dunsho says:

i’m pretty sure i saw this gun in the last, or 2nd last episode of “person of interest” on CBS.

1. avatar surlycmd says:

Last week and the final episode of last season.

2. avatar scm says:

I caught that too! Someone’s getting to play with this things at least…

3. avatar Dave says:

Good catch, I saw it too. Interesting since product placement in TV and movies is a conscious activity and generally something companies pay for. My guess is that somebody was planning on utilizing this in a larger marketing plan. Be interesting to get the “rest of the story” as Paul Harvey would say.

5. avatar Average_Casey says:

I didn’t know that Heizer didn’t own the rights to the Double Tap? I wonder what the issue was? Was it a failure to meet production requirements or something else?

6. avatar Gary says:

Looks like they’ve given thier website the Heave-Ho as well.

7. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Newsflash: Volume manufacturing of titanium in complex shapes is very hard. Also, sun rises in the east, water is wet.

1. avatar Sid says:

Sun..east….water…wet. Could you please slow down? I am trying to take notes.

But when it finally becomes available, it will hit a target at 600 yards.

1. avatar JoshinGA says:

Psh. Ralph please. This thing is made out of titanium…

Its got 700 yards in it at least.

2. avatar Sid says:

But there will be no video allowed to be taken of the demonstration of accuracy. We will just have to accept the manufacturer’s word.

1. avatar Agitator says:

Some of my Marine buddies saw it happen, it’s legit, don’t worry.

1. avatar elnonio says:

I will have been there to then witness it happening when it happened. (I know, I’m no Heinlein).

9. avatar orangeblue says:

Heizer Aerospace was never a firearm manufacturer. They make airframe parts. While the parts they make are very complex, it’s a big change to go from one to the other. Why not go to a gun manufacturer from the beginning?

1. avatar AlphaGeek says:

Because it’s hard verging on impossible to find a firearms manufacturing operation with the Ti metallurgy and machining experience in-house to take on jobs like this. Note the marked lack of major Ti parts (slides, frames, etc) in volume-produced handguns from any of the big boys.

If you want precision machined titanium alloy parts in any kind of volume, you will be talking to high-end aerospace shops. There just isn’t any other sector which has demand for exotic Ti alloy assembly manufacturing. Too expensive, and it’s absolute hell on machine tools even when you know what you’re doing.

10. avatar 16V says:

If/when the whole story gets out, this should prove entertaining, as Kohout is a principal/founder of Heizer Defense. Formed with a bunch of Kohout’s old buddies, of which Heizer (of Heizer Aerospace) is one. I believe there’s also some connection to Mid America Arms formerly Shooting Systems (that’s some fun trivia for the older STL folks).

11. avatar CarlosT says:

Maybe someday they’ll figure out a point for this gun as well.

1. avatar 16V says:

Getting (apparently) tens of thousands of tacticool fashion slaves lining up to buy a useless Derringer in .45 ACP isn’t reason enough?

1. avatar CarlosT says:

Apparently not reason enough to figure out how to actually deliver them.

1. avatar 16V says:

Details, details…

2. avatar Greg Camp says:

Setting yourself on fire? Those holes all along the barrels are compensators, no? Of course, in a barrel that short, it wouldn’t surprise me to see that fat .45 bullet pause at the muzzle before pushing off for a perfect belly flop below.

12. avatar JuanCudz says:

Reminds me of those pressed metal ‘Liberator’ pistols the US dropped on the Phillipines in WWII.

1. avatar IdahoPete says:

Except they only cost about $2 each to make, and took about 4 months or so from concept to production.

Admittedly, they weren’t tacticool.

13. avatar cad says:

HEIZER probably wanted to make a profit.
    Crazy.

14. avatar Jack says:

How does the titanium make this gun special, other than the coolness factor?

In a gun this small, even the weight advantage cannot be that great and could be largely achieved using polymer anyway.

What am I missing?