SHOT Show Recce: Only In Las Vegas

Decades ago, I got stranded overnight at Las Vegas’s McCarron International Airport. I had a night to kill in Sin City, and didn’t even have the brass in my pocket for a cab ride to the Strip and back. In the middle of a nearly-sleepless night listening to Steve Lawrence and some jackhole named Bernaducci reminding me to ‘Walk on the Left, Stand on the Right’ on the airport’s many moving walkways, I found myself wishing that a fully loaded KC-135 from nearby Nellis AFB would crash into the terminal and put me out of my misery . . .

I found myself in Vegas again this past Tuesday, when a job interview trip left me a few spare hours to walk the Strip and recce the Sands Expo Center, home of the SHOT Show. The Sands Expo Center was crawling with video-game developers, but their confab was a pretty closed-door affair and they didn’t even have any betas of Halo 4 on public display, so I wandered away.

I looked for signs of the possibly-soon-to-be-opened Beretta boutique shop in the swanky Shoppes At The Palazzo retail concours d’elegance, but I looked in vain. Word on the Strip is that some backroom deal is in the works where Steve Wynn will drop his objection (and lawsuit) in return for some ammo and vouchers for free breadsticks with his next Domino’s pizza order. But I could be mistaken; we’ll know for sure in January when we’re all there for the SHOT Show again.

But times have changed since my early 20′s, and when McCarron’s same moving walkways carried me past the above 8-foot tall sign advertising machine gun rentals, I knew we’d finally made our peace. I almost hate to give The Gun Store any free press because they run such an unsafe cattle-call operation (Foghorn got muzzled three times with loaded guns during his one visit there). There are so many better options, including Machine Guns Vegas and (Nick’s favorite) Discount Firearms + Ammo. In fact, my local contacts tell me that Clark County, Nevada is bursting at the seams with new indoor and outdoor firing ranges.

TTAG might not be fans of The Gun Store, but it’s pretty cool that the Sin City airport so joyously thumbs its nose at both Political Correctness and at the Constitution-shredding TSA. I’m almost surprised that the nervous crotch-fondlers and iPad-pilferers in the blue gloves haven’t mistaken the sign for a real live Security Breach and put a few rounds through it, just to be sure.

24 Responses to SHOT Show Recce: Only In Las Vegas

1. avatarRich says:

I found American Shooters to be the best of the lot offering auto shooting fun. Great staff and good prices, short waits. Short cab ride from the strip. Recommend highly.

2. avatarjwm says:

The TSA staffers might have touched off a few rounds at the sign. But it’s been my observation that the same staffers are unarmed. Says a lot that when the group that supposedly ensures our safety in transit can’t be trusted with guns.

3. avatarRoll says:

I dont know about you guys, but I had a good time when I was there, shot a Steyr AUG there, no one ever muzzled me and they kept the ammo and weapons separate

4. avataraaronw says:

The hostess at MGV told my friends and I that tourist muzzle sweeps are a fact of life there, too.
    BTW, yet another place is opening up there soon, if not already.
    It’s called Range702, it appears to be quite large, and they are apparently going to do some training there, too.

5. avatarRalph says:

I trained for my Nevada CCW at the Gun Store. Yup, it was a cattle call, but the required 8-hour training class was free, and worth every dime. As far as I’m concerned, the place to shoot in LV is at the Clark County Range. It’s one of the nicest public facilities I’ve seen.

6. avatarJwhite says:

I think The Gun Store is the place I was thinking of when I went on a rant a bout the M240B and $250 for 50 rounds, rental fees and the absurdity… sorry for the mixup.
    I find their prices pretty insulting…

Here we go…
    RC=RealCost
    THE COALITION – $129.95
    40 SHOTS M249 SAW (.223/5.56 ~$6-$7 a box of 20) RC-$14
    25 SHOTS M4 (.223/5.56 ~$6-$7 a box of 20) – RC-$10
    20 SHOTS M9 PISTOL (9mm ~$10 for 50 roundsNIB) RC-$6
    3 TARGETS – (~$0.25-50 a piece) $1.50

$14+$10+$6+$1.50= $31.50

$129.95 – $31.50 = $98.45 to rent.

At the ned of the day… that’s probably at best… 15minutes on the range… Maybe 10. Considering that you’re not shooting a full magazine on the M4, and you’ve never shot an automatic so you’ll burn those 25 rounds pretty quickly. The Pistol is basically one magazine, and the SAW… same as the M4. If they load the magazines for you, you’re at the range for a total of 10minutes.

It would take longer to actually read the safety waiver instead of just “Check check check check, initial, scribble…done”

7. avatarإبليس says:

What’s stopping civilian prodction of Grease Guns and MP40s? Stamp them out by the thousands. Just remove the stocks. Unless the forward magazines count as pistol grips.

8. avatarJeff says:

The gun store is a total tourist trap, went there shopping once and left almost immediately… Not planning on going again and I do my nest to steer people away.

Discount is good, American Shooters is also good.
    I’ve been seeing countless billboards and taxi ads about what looks to be at least 3 new ranges near the strip.

9. What i do not realize is in fact how you’re not actually a lot more smartly-liked than you may be now. You are very intelligent. You recognize thus significantly when it comes to this matter, produced me for my part imagine it from numerous varied angles. Its like men and women are not interested until it’s something to accomplish with Woman gaga!
    Your personal stuffs outstanding. All the time deal
    with it up!

10. You actually make it appear so easy together with your presentation but I
    to find this matter to be actually one thing that I believe I would never
    understand. It kind of feels too complex and very large for me.
    I’m taking a look ahead on your next put up, I will try to get the hang of it!

11. Someone esentially herlp to make severely posts I would
    state. That is the very first time I frequented your website
    page and to this point? I surprised with the research you
    made to create this particular submit extraordinary.
    Fantastic activity!

12. avatarGabriela says:

This website certainly has all the info I needed concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

13. This includes some really powerful foods that you can add to your diet
    which have great healing properties. Last month, I started a raw
    vegan diet that has radically changed my life. The dietary guidelines recommends that adults
    boost their potassium intake to 4,700 mg a day, with breast-feeding women requiring 5,100 mg.

14. You’re so cool! I don’t think I’ve read through
    something like this before. So good to find somebody with a few unique thoughts on
    this subject. Really.. thank you for starting this up. This web site is something that is required on the internet,
    someone with some originality!

15. Aw, this was an incredibly good post. Finding the time and
    actual effort to make a great article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a lot and never
    manage to get nearly anything done.

16. Hey there this is kind of of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use
    WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding know-how so I
    wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

17. I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience over
    that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again
    as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.

18. This is one of the easiest ways possible to encourage
    productive interaction among your prospects and customers.
    When people enter certain keywords, blogs
    that contain those words will show up. If you are having a difficult time choosing
    a niche to pursue, Blogging in Action can also
    help you with this as well.

19. Piece of writing writing is also a fun, if you be familiar with then you can write if not it is difficult to write.

20. Good write-up. I certainly love this site. Continue the good work!

21. It’s really very complicated in this busy life to
    listen news on TV, therefore I simply use web for that reason, and obtain the hottest information.

22. Thank you for any other fantastic article. Where else may just anyone get that
    type of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I’m at the search
    for such info.