Obscure Object of Desire: TADS KS-11

I’m about as au fait with long range shooting as Danika Cejas is with scaphism (which may or may not be a shame depending on your blood sugar levels). The Burris Eliminator may be larger than an Airstream trailer and heavier than Proust but it’s my only chance of hitting a target beyond 50 yards—providing someone programs the range-finding scope for my chosen ammo. But I like obscure firearms in obscure calibers. Not to own, obviously. To want to own. Like the TADS KS-11 chambered in .408 Cheyenne Tactical. ‘Cause who doesn’t want to shoot a projectile at 3500 ft/s (take that Lapua) with .5 MOA or better? Tawazun Advance Defense Systems sold 16 of ’em to “government personnel” at the Abu Dhabi International Hunting and Equestrian Exhibition. Shame it wazzunt me.

comments

1. avatar Sanchanim says:

Very clean lines and exotic! I hate to think what it would set me back plus ammo costs!

1. avatar Aharon says:

Are you talking about the gun or Danika?

1. avatar Sanchanim says:

LMAO both preferably, but no the gun. My chances with Danika are nill… I can’t flash that many franklins in front of her on my best day hahaha

1. avatar Aharon says:

ha! The price of the gun could get you a non famous model that looks as good as Danika plus breakfast and laundry included in a pre-developed country possibly for some months depending where you go.

2. avatar RIGHT! says:

Maybe this colum needs to be sub-titled “The Desire For Obscure References”

1. avatar Rokurota says:

No joke. I should sue TTAG for forcing me to Google “scaphism.”

3. avatar AnotherMatt says:

No civilian needs that much power 😀

1. avatar jsallison says:

This former active duty ‘civilian’ would dearly love to accentuate his wife-unit’s flower garden with an M60A3 MBT or M5511 AR/AAV or M1 MBT as a suitable reminder that moi wasn’t a has-been, all that long ago. Since they’re dumping the things in the ocean as artificial reefs these days, surely that can’t be too much to ask?

4. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

You know you can get that built here in the US, easily, right? You don’t need to go to the UAE to get that rifle…

The .408 CheyTac was developed in Idaho – Arco, to be exact.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

Oh great.

2. avatar Sanchanim says:

Nice but at $7 a round… whew you need to make em count!

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

That’s true for most all of the larger rounds. If you think these tactical/sniper rounds are expensive, you should see what dangerous game (ie, African game) ammo costs for double rifles.

Example from the .470 Nitro Express:

$8 to $12+/round.

Or you could look at some of the ammunition reloading costs for old black powder arms that are no longer made – the brass has to be turned a lathe individually, and then you have to cast a bullet for it:

Look at only the first, leftmost column and you see what I mean.

So, $7+/round for loaded, virgin brass, a wicked high-Bc bullet… eh, in the big scheme of things, that’s not all that bad.

Thank Ben Bernanke. By killing the dollar, he’s effectively driven the cost of all physical commodities higher.

5. avatar bontai Joe says:

I like the bipod. I’d like the rifle too, but I might be able to afford the bipod.

6. avatar Mehul Kamdar says:

The website says that the rifles are built by Lobaev – does he work for Tawazun now? I had heard that he moved to Switzerland after the Russian government cancelled his manufacturing license for his sporting and match rifles as well as for his barrels. Would be interesting to know if other Lobaev products will be offered by Tawazun in the future in addition to this rifle design.

7. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

[pikanit]

Sure that it shouldn’t be 0.5 MOA, vice .05?

[/pikanit]

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

Typo. I swear. Sorted. Thanks.

8. avatar Phil H says:

“And the award for most obscure simile goes to… well, folks, we really don’t need even to open up the envelope, do we?”

9. avatar Hazzard Bagg says:

All things being equal, I prefer sapphism over scaphism.

10. avatar James says:

FLAME DELETED.

Please send any comments about TTAG’s editorial stance or style to guntruth@me.com