Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day: Persian Protection Edition

We like cats, but they can be kinda filling. One Houston woman is such a devoted felinophile that she plugged her hubby this morning when he threatened her precious puddy tat. “The husband and wife were at their home in the 6700 block of Seaton Valley Drive and arguing about their cat around 7:30 a.m. The husband let the cat out to use the bathroom, then threatened to shoot the pet with a pellet gun. To protect the animal, the wife pulled out a gun and shot her husband in the stomach, according to deputies.” The cat was apparently unharmed. Odds that the husband will recover: unknown. Odds that — if hubby makes it home first — Mr. Whiskers will have exhausted all nine lives by the time the wife gets out of stir: dead solid lock.

comments

1. avatar scm says:

How is this the DGU of the day? From the facts presented it appears to be an entirely unwarranted use of lethal force. IGOTD I could understand, but why put this on a pedestal as a noteworthy and laudable DGU?

1. She was defending her cat. And DGU of the day doesn’t necessarily imply a DGU is laudable, just noteworthy.

1. avatar Kory Hearn says:

Cats are not people. I kind of feel like this story should be under IGOTD…

1. avatar jwm says:

Gotta agree. IGOTD and crazy cat lady combined, but not dgu. When a certain person gets ahold of this he’ll declare with false authority that all dgu’s are this baseless.

2. avatar jkp says:

This. People > animals.

Though it looks like the headline has been changed.

2. avatar Aharon says:

scm,

Agreed 1000%! If a gangster who murdered innocent people afterwards shoots and murders a cop who was coming to arrest him is that also a DGU? Was not the gangster defending his freedom thus a TTAG DGU(sarcasm off)

2. avatar speedracer5050 says:

And people wonder why the divorce rate is so high in the US!!!

1. avatar Aharon says:

I was originally going to comment reason #17,632 not to get married. If this happened in San Francisco she might not be prosecuted.

3. avatar GS650G says:

Who bothers to argue about cats?

1. avatar HAVE GUN says:

“Who bothers to argue about cats?”

I did, and lost.

So now wifey has like nine of them in and about the house.

1. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

Well, aftermarket mags for the 1911 typically hold 8 rounds, and with one in the chamber…

4. avatar surlycmd says:

This is high up on the dumbest crap ever list.

5. avatar Oddux says:

I like cats, but crazy cat ladies scare me.

6. avatar Sammy says:

Yea killing your husband over a threat to your cat may be an insight to the health of the relationship. So if your bride is irritable, don’t threaten to plug her pussy.

7. avatar Doug says:

I’d defend my dogs or cats with lethal force.

1. avatar Roll says:

Amen to that, I love my dog so much if anyone tries to harm him, I’d dump a mag on the baddie.

1. avatar Joe Grine says:

Time to visit a shrink.

1. avatar Brick says:

Agree with Roll and Doug.

Joe, one thing you should keep in mind is that animals, in many ways, act like children. They are dependant on their owner, inspire joy, and possess unconditional love if treated well. I, like the folks above, love my animals as if they were my own children. With that said, anyone posing a legitimate threat to ANY member of my family will be greeted with the business end of my weapon.

8. avatar Pascal says:

This exact situation is what feeds the gun grabbers.

1. avatar Ben says:

It’d be nice to see this portrayed in more of a negative light by TTAG.

No big deal, just a suggestion.

2. avatar sdog says:

+1 took the words right out of my mouth.

3. avatar EATENG says:

I can hear it now. “See, if everyone had guns, people will all use them to end arguments!” “If they didn’t have guns or pellet guns, this would have never happened!”

9. avatar snuffalufagus says:

My wife said she would do the same haha I love my cats too though so I can’t blame her

1. avatar Joe Grine says:

Time for a new wife.

10. avatar Bob says:

Looks like they fixed it. It’s an IGOTD now.

11. avatar Bob says:

How do cats taste, like chicken? White meat or dark?
    Hard to skin, though, w’at with all that scratchin and yowlin.

Just kidding. I actually have one that I like A LOT.

That cat lady was very, very wrong. If someone threatened my kitties, I’d opt for a Mozambique, not just a gutshot.

13. avatar DerryM says:

I love my cats, but would never shoot my wife over them…on the other hand an unknown intruder trying to hurt my cats could easily be mistaken for an assailant against myself and and ventilated with hot lead to clarify the issue.
    This is a better IGOTD, than DGU…wonder what the hubby will do to the cat when the wife is in the slammer? Might be a tough day for Kitty.

14. avatar Jean Paul says:

I broke up with a girlfriend over my cats. I have Siamese who are very protective. Girlfriend didn’t like the possessiveness, and that one cat would sit between us and glare at her.

Girlfriend said I should put the cat in another room when she came over. I told GF, point blank, that the cat lived with me, she didn’t, and she better get over her attitude.

I made the right choice. GF was freaking nuts, and the cat worships the ground upon which I walk.

the cat worships the ground upon which I walk.

And the ex-gf worships the ground that’s coming to you. Believe me, I can empathize.

2. avatar jwm says:

Gave up pussy for pussy. it had to be said. Delete away if you must, but it had to be said.

1. avatar carrymagnum says:

+1 guy has that cat up on a pedastel.

15. avatar Greg Camp says:

As someone who has lived with cats for a long time, I can’t be entirely against this woman. I’d imagine that there are bigger problems in the relationship, but threatening violence at a partner’s pet is a dangerous sign.

On the other hand, depending on the power of the pellet, those toy guns can sometimes be useful for getting a cat or a dog to stop scratching the furniture and stop yammering.

1. avatar rosignol says:

I find a spray-bottle is effective and doesn’t result in having little plastic pellets everywhere.

16. avatar jim says:

Well, it looks like it is the day for Texas to be in the IGOTD barrel… I’m sure the article about the Ft. Hood soldier who tried to scare his buddy out of the hiccups by pointing a pistol loaded with “dummy” rounds and pulling the trigger will be up soon. (Hint – the real dummy is in jail on a million-dollar bond.)

I’m more of a dog person but I usually get along fine with cats. However, one of the first things I learned about women is that if she has more than one Siamese it is a clue that she is completely batshit crazy.