Bushnell Tactical Writer’s Conference: Day One

After a tiring day spent in TSA queues and miniscule airline seats yesterday, the cosmic balance has been restored. I spent an exhausting and awesome day shooting, learning and testing a slew of new gear from Bushnell, at a totally kick-ass shooting resort in southern Kentucky. We did so much shooting today that after an entire day at the range I was actually ready to stop shooting and eat something. That doesn’t happen often . . .

I’ve only got a few minutes (and a fairly slow wifi connection) so I can’t upload full product descriptions and demo videos of all the stuff we’ve played with, but I’ll pique your interest with a few highlights:

• We spent a good part of the day discussing (and then testing) the difference between 1st and 2nd focal-plane reticules. Despite the high geek factor, this is actually really interesting and I think the results will surprise you.
  • Bushnell isn’t just for the bargain aisle at Wal-Mart anymore. I’ll fill in the details over the next several posts, but the concepts of no-questions-asked warranties, one-piece tubes, fully multicoated optics and true 1-8.5x variables will feature prominently.
  • I did fairly well in the first stages of our 2-gun runthroughs, and then dramatically increased my shotgun suckitude during my second heat. I’m guessing I need to channel my stress more effectively. When I find the right cable I’ll post a helmet-cam vid of me being a complete moron with a Benelli. In the meantime, here are some of the guns I started screwing up with:

To be continued tomorrow, with some true 3-gun action and some really long-range rifle shooting courtesy of Accuracy International.

comments

1. avatar Nick Leghorn says:

Deep and abiding jealousy…

1. avatar Big John says:

+1 bazillion

2. avatar Dr. Dave says:

Screw Bushnell. I know exactally enough about them to know not to trust their products and that for the same money they want you can get a better product from some one else. Sometimes for a lot less. And there is no fancy trip they can take me on that will prove they dont sell garbage at a high price. Its only because of idiots who dont know better that they havent gone under.

1. avatar bontai Joe says:

WOW! Don’t hold back, share with us how you really feel (LOL)

3. avatar Gyufygy says:

Shooting resort? As in training site or Awesome Range of Awesome?

4. avatar Matt in FL says:

Looking forward to reading more. I had always seen Bushnell as you said, a “Walmart bargain brand.” I’m interested to see if you can change my mind.

5. avatar outlaw says:

I’ve had nothing but great experiences with bushnell, replaced my leopold’s long ago due to better light gathering with 4200’s, now using tactical elites and 6500’s. I haven’t used their low cost lines,