Remington R1 Enhanced Threaded Barrel: MSRP = $1040

Looks like Remington’s getting ready to ship its R1 1911 line extension, the R1 Enhanced with a threaded barrel. The Ilion brain trust apparently noticed that more people are willing to jump through all the hoops required to get their grubby hands on suppressors – or as Remington calls them in their press release (after the jump) “signature reduction devices” . . .

Madison, NC – E-RPC® unveiled its newest addition to the popular Remington Model 1911 R1 family at the 2012 NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits in St. Louis, MO. Configured for practical competition or personal protection, the Remington Model 1911 R1 Enhanced Threaded Barrel is the next evolution of the Model 1911 R1 product line.

The accuracy and reliability that have made the 1911 an American icon since its debut are still present. The new Model 1911 R1 Enhanced Threaded Barrel adds features that make it an ideal choice for shooters who prefer the benefits of signature reduction devices. The pistol features a taller two-dot sight system that allows the shooter to gain the perfect sight picture with a suppressor installed. Other features include a match grade stainless steel threaded barrel; black anodized aluminum match grade trigger; and custom enhanced checkered grips.

“The popularity of silencers is soaring,” said John Trull, Vice President of Firearms Product Management and New Product Implementation.  “Shooters are looking to enhance their experience with their firearm suppressed and we are proud to offer them an excellent choice with our Model 1911 R1.”

The Model 1911 R1 Enhanced Threaded Barrel is available today with a suggested retail price of $1040. It is shipped in a custom carrying case with two, eight-round magazines.  The barrel is shipped with a thread protector installed.

The first Model 1911 manufactured by Remington was delivered during World War I. The pistol is part of the company’s venerable history. Today, the 1911 R1 Enhanced Threaded Barrel is a sweet-shooting advancement of a legendary design with many custom upgrades which avid shooters expect—we’re more than proud to put our name on it.

For more information on the 1911 R1 line of handguns, please visit www.1911R1.com.

comments

1. avatar 2wheels says:

Huh… Not bad looking.

Put a rail on it and I’ll really be interested in one. I want a suppressed 1911, but I’d like it to have a rail. Right now I think Sig is the only company that makes a 1911 that fits my requirements.

1. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

Several companies make drop-in threaded barrels for the 1911.

1. avatar 2wheels says:

Nothing is truly drop in for the 1911 🙂

Either way, I’d still have to buy another 1911 (not willing to mess with the ones I have) as well as the threaded barrel, then the barrel would probably have to be fitted, so I figure why not start off with one that has the barrel I need?

1. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

“Nothing is truly drop in for the 1911”
          ——
          You should be careful about using absolutes. My Kimber has a stainless barrel from Storm Lake that did, indeed, drop right in. Locks up like Fort Knox; zero movement when in battery. Shoots nicer than the original, too.

2. avatar 2wheels says:

You’re correct, it would have been better if I said “nothing is guaranteed to be drop in for a 1911”.

I’ve never installed an aftermarket barrel on a 1911, but I have installed several small parts (triggers, MSHs, grip safeties, firing pin stops, etc.) and they generally require at least some fitting, even the ones advertised as “drop in”. Sometimes you do get lucky though.

3. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

“I’d be overjoyed if I bought a barrel and it dropped right in, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it didn’t.”
          ——
          Agreed. I was ecstatic when mine did. After the first range trip, I was nearly doing backflips.

2. avatar Aharon says:

The“signature reduction devices” thingy at the end looks like something from airsoft.

3. avatar Jeremy L. Knauff says:

Aharon, that’s just the thread cap.

1. avatar Aharon says:

It’s a thread cap? Can the gun then be used to help people to sew?

1. avatar Moonshine7102 says:

Watch out, people! He’s go jokes!

1. avatar Brad Poxleitner says:

1911’s, the best and only still-produced firearm that has won 2 world wars and still fights in conflicts around the globe. No Glock will ever have that achievement. I think Aharon is just a 14 year old tool who plays airshit, he clearly doesn’t know much about firearms nor the reasons for a threaded barrel/cap.

4. avatar bontai Joe says:

I understand the taller sights to see over the suppressor, but they would tend to hang up on clothing/holsters if you also plan on carrying this as a concealed weapon. Me being an old guy, it just looks funny to my eye to see a 1911 with Remington’s name on it and not Colt’s name. I realize that today, just about everyone and their granny is making 1911s, but it still looks funny to me.

1. avatar jwm says:

first remington made 1911’s during ww2. and second the only suppressor i’ve used was at a rental range in utah on a 40 cal glock. shot it without the suppressor first for 1 box of shells to get used to it and the sights. when i put the suppressor on it completely blocked the sights. the next box i fired was without sights. out to 7 yards i was actually doing better without the sights. go figure.

1. avatar bontai Joe says:

Yep, I know Remington made ’em during the war as did Ingersoll Rand, and I believe even Singer sewing machine Co. Private gunsmiths in my neck of the woods when i was a kid did work on small batches of 50 pistols at a time during the war. Still seeing a new one just sotra looks funny to me.

5. avatar Skyler says:

Why does the magazine look so small?

6. avatar GS650G says:

Nice scary looking handgun you got there, sonny!

7. avatar Jed Henson says:

The MSRP on this is actually $1,140, not $1,040. I asked their PR gal (Jessica Kallam because the press release says $1,040 and the Web site says $1,140. Apparently $1,040 is a typo.

8. avatar madb says:

Just bought this gun last week and i love it, but the trigger has a lot of play. i dont mean travel , i mean jiggle . is that a normal thing ? thanks