What Could Possibly Go Wrong: Di Fi Gets Behind UN Small Arms Treaty

Reader Tim Tritt apparently expressed his concerns over the UN Arms Trade Treaty and got the following response from one of his senators.

Dear Timothy:

Thank you for writing to express your concerns about possible ratification of an international treaty aimed at stemming the proliferation of small arms and light weapons worldwide.  I appreciate hearing your views on this issue and welcome the opportunity to respond . . .

I understand you have serious concerns about this proposed treaty.  The purpose of the ongoing negotiations is to draft a legally binding treaty on the export, import, and international transfer on conventional weapons.  It will not address the personal ownership of guns or gun owners’ rights.  The actual drafting of the treaty will take place in 2012.

Please know that I strongly support this process.  According to Amnesty International, more than 500,000 people per year are killed with conventional arms, and almost 60% of documented human rights violations have involved the use of small arms and light weapons.  Further, the Small Arms Survey estimates that there are more than 875 million firearms in the world today, roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide.  These numbers help to underscore the fact that a majority of the deaths in conflicts worldwide are small arms-related.

Again, thank you for writing.  I hope that you will continue to write on matters of importance to you.  Should you have any further comments or questions, please feel free to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841.  Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

comments

1. avatar ST says:

She would certainly know about human rights violations.

1. avatar GS650G says:

+10

2. avatar Henry Bowman says:

Do the 500,000 yearly deaths by conventional arms include those perpetrated by government armies invading foreign lands?

1. avatar Bob says:

It is important for her to have the largest possible number in her statistics. So do you think she would use a figure that ignores the largest percentage of the deaths? Not likely.

2. avatar Phydeaux says:

…or with small arms supplied by governments. From what I’ve heard, the treaty will only limit private commerce and in no way restrict governments from supplying small arms to whoever they want.

3. avatar James St. John says:

“roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide”

So how do we get guns into the hands of the other six so they can defend themselves.

1. avatar Bob says:

Well the UN Arms Trade Treaty won’t help, because most of the citizen insurgents get their guns from non-government sources.

2. avatar TSgt B says:

I like the way you think.

Dear Senator (and traitor) Feinstein:

Go to Hell, and quite soon.
      Sincerely,

Bruce A. Beatty
      Technical Sergeant, USAF (Retired)
      Oath Keeper & American Patriot

4. avatar GS650G says:

And one of those guns is on Di Fi’s hip at the moment. I’ll consider turning in mine when I see her dropping off her piece at Turtle Bay.

1. avatar John D says:

It’s in her purse- if it was on her hip, she couldn’t get through the door……

1. avatar Jimmydog says:

That is funnnnnnnnnny you are right but to add her ego and mouth are to match her large as……………..

2. avatar napoleon says:

saNAP!

5. avatar Greg Camp says:

Isn’t she the one who also put a hold on national reciprocity legislation in the Senate? How much longer must the whole country be saddled by this one wacko?

1. avatar Mark N. says:

Until she retires or dies. There is no realistic possibility whe will be unseated in an election.

1. avatar Bob says:

Well we can take away a lot of her power and influence by electing enough Republicans in other states to get a Republican majority in the US Senate.

1. avatar Mehul Kamdar says:

She’s 76 – even if she wins in November, time is against her. Keep a bottle of Veuve Cliquot handy to celebrates when she’s in her box. 🙂

2. avatar Totenglocke says:

@Mehul

Or we can just get the Republicans to throw all the old Democrats a surprise party with one HELL of a loud noise and shock when they walk in and pray that they all die of heart attacks before they can get to the hospital….

2. avatar dave says:

if she dies there will be another waconu to take her place
        what else is there in lalaland the land of fruits and nuts

6. avatar the last Marine out says:

So how many Guns did A.G. Holder send to drug lords to kill people ? , Why are we not hearing from the U.N. about M.R. Holder ??? sounds like same old double standard.. the U.N. has been a broken toy of the ONE WORLD sociopaths from day one ,,, total waste of money…

7. avatar jwm says:

all national level democrats need to be put on the dole in november. the argument over whether or not barack is pushing gun control is irrelevent. his party is and has been for decades. i shifted away from the democrats after the 68 gca. repubs have their faults, but on this issue they’re by far better than dems.

8. avatar Joe Grine says:

“Almost 60% of documented human rights violations have involved the use of small arms and light weapons.”

Hmmm. nice statistic. More importantly, however… I’m curious as to what percentage of “documented human rights violations” are caused by government employees (police / military etc). I’m guessing well over 90%.

1. avatar GS650G says:

I’m trying to imagine these small arms and light weapons moving about and hurting people all by themselves but it’s not happening. How do they walk and fire themselves?

Translation from pol-speak to English: Your opinion is about as important to me as a mouse fart. I’m Diane Feinstein and I do what I want. FU and have a lovely day.

1. avatar Tim Tritt says:

Yep – that’s how it felt!

1. avatar Snachnim says:

Another perfect response I couldn’t have said it any better.!

2. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Yep.

I’ve had to deal with this hag on gun control legislation back in the 90’s.

She will never, ever allow herself to be confused with facts.

10. avatar jwm says:

wonder how many of those 60% have been against unarmed victoms. wonder how many of those unarmed victoms were disarmed by their governments polacies.

1. avatar Bob says:

The vast majority. (the same answer for both questions)

11. avatar Joseph says:

Pardon me Mrs. Feinstein, I apparently choked on some bullshit.

12. avatar Chris Dumm says:

Dianne Feinstein has been sending these oh-so-polite FOAD letters to concerned constituents for years. I’ve got one myself in a box somewhere from my California days, personally signed with her own rubber stamp.

It must have been awful for her to be in the next office when her friend Harvey Milk was murdered, but that was nearly 34 years ago and it’s time to stop using her PTSD as an excuse for her rabid hatred of the Second Amendment. She’s a perfect example of why congressional term limits are a good idea that should have been, but isn’t, part of the Constitution.

1. avatar GS650G says:

She can’t be too traumatized by it, she’s turned that tragedy into a legacy in the Senate. At least my children will live to see her depart.

Do you remember when that headline-hugging beyotch announced that the Cal cops had shoe impressions in the Night Stalker case? Ramirez tossed the shoes off a bridge the next day.

13. avatar Air Force TSgt says:

875,000,000 guns and only 500,000 deaths tells me guns are not the problem here.

1. avatar Greg in Allston says:

875M guns? World population 7.026B. There are far too many slackers out there that need to get with the program. At the very least, there should be at least 4 firearms for every individual on the planet. Now there’s a business opportunity for you.

Oh, and BTW, Diane, you can KMSIA.

1. avatar CarlosT says:

Four? Sounds about right… Carry gun, home defense gun, rifle, shotgun. That about covers the basics.

14. avatar Mark says:

I wish Feinstein, Polosi and a few of their friends would board a North Korean spacecraft launch.

1. avatar Jwhite says:

DeLeon, Yee, Boehner, Holder, A.Pelosi, N.Pelosi… Let’s keep the list going

15. avatar Silver says:

I’ve never considered myself an anarchist, but seeing reprehensible piles of excrement like her in power sure make it more attractive.

16. avatar Accur81 says:

In light of nothing else, I would be against the small arms trade treaty simply because Feinstein supports it.

1. avatar rosignol says:

There are worse reasons.

17. avatar napoleon says:

At least we know that her version of the bill will ban those shoulder thingies that go up.

18. avatar Chas says:

“While we do not necessarily agree on this particular issue, please know that your views are important to me, and I will keep them in mind should the Senate discuss ratification of such a treaty.”

BULLSHIT!!!

19. avatar Chad says:

The people of California keep re-electing her, so they get what they deserve. Elections have consequences, folks!

20. avatar Aharon says:

“… and I will keep them in mind should the Senate discuss ratification of such a treaty”.
    –Oh’ sure you will DiFi.

“I hope that you will continue to write on matters of importance to you.”
    — That way your name will be entered on the appropriate government black list.

21. avatar Buster says:

“500,000 people per year are killed with conventional arms”

That’s a lot of defective weapons.
    All of my conventional arms require ME to make a conscious decision to pull the trigger to discharge it.

22. avatar joe says:

It’s amazing how pieces of shit like Feinstein and “Justice”Ginsburg keep creaking along.Everyone I know of who got pancreatic cancer died EXCEPT the little demonic creature Ruth Bader Ginsburg-she’s also had bowel cancer-what’s it gonna take?

23. avatar tommy atkins says:

Dear Senator Finestein,

I don’t trust a fucking thing that comes out of your mouth, or that of any of your colleagues. Let me be crystal clear here, so even a moron like you will understand. Any attempt by the US government to suborn my rights as enshrined in the Constitution, to the useless one world United Nations, will not be tolerated by the citizens of this country. So go ahead, ratify the arms treaty, and watch the civil war start. I look forward to your quick trial on treason charges, and seeing your head on a pike displayed on the Capital grounds. My sainted ancestors didn’t carve this country out of the wilderness to have you and the rest of the elected temporary government vote all their hard work away.

24. avatar Rich says:

Lets hope the Ginsburg holds on until Mohamedbama departs.