Top Ten Deer Rifles. Allegedly.

George Block has been around the. Well, you’d certainly think so given his Facebook photo. The Observer-Reporter reporter (and observer) has compiled his list of the top ten deer rifles. While Block’s list tends towards the classics, it’s a perfect opportunity for me to spend the next 45 minutes scraping gun photos while waiting for the sprinkler guy to show up. Number 10, the 1873 Winchester, is above; although you might not want to take a $55k gun into the field. Make the jump for the count down to number one with a bullet (captions are beneath examples) . . .

9. 1886 Winchester

8. Remington pump-action Model 14 [above] and Model 141

7. Remington pump-action Model 760 and 7600 [above]

6. Winchester Model 70

5. Ruger Model 77

4. Savage Model 99

3. Marlin Model 336

2. Remington Model 700

1. Winchester Model 94

About Robert Farago

28 Responses to Top Ten Deer Rifles. Allegedly.

1. avatarSkyler says:

Looks like he has a thing for lever action rifles.

• avatarPhrederick says:

I admit, I do too. Never thought much of them at all until I put a few rounds through one.

2. avatarbgryphon says:

Born after his time apparently.

3. avatarTarrou says:

Looks about right from what I know of the good old boys who do the majority of whitetail shooting in my neck of the woods (Michigan). Sure, those down-staters might wander up with a tricked out Benelli or something, might even bag a buck. But old Horace (not a real person, but based on at least twenty guys I can think of) has a block permit and bags 10-30 deer a year. And he most likely uses a Win 94 or a Savage 99. I’ve seen more of those at deer camp, in the truck cab or strapped to the tractor….Of course, me being the heretic I am, I live down state and hunt with an A-bolt.

4. avatarBLAMMO says:

I would swap #1 and #2 but only because Robert De Niro used a 700 BDL in The Deer Hunter. Stupid reason, I know.

5. avatarCliff says:

Funny, my grandfather bagged his deer with the 1886 back in the ’30s, and my dad used the Marlin back in his day. I don’t like venison, so a mute point for me, and I think I could get in real trouble if I go shoot someone’s cow….

6. avatarMrBadNews says:

This should have been about Cartridges, not rifles….. then your top 2 of all time would have been 30-30 and 30-06. Allegedly.

7. avatarAharon says:

Last year, I had the best burger in my life. It was made from venison. A perfect day would be a successful deer hunt, followed with venison burgers and Oregon micro-brews, and then the night spent with Miss Rhode Island.

8. avatarLTC F says:

Growing up in RI I’ve taken most of my deer with a Remington 870 with a slug barrel (rifle hunting in RI is verbotten.) I haven’t shot a deer in years, but the last one I took in NC was with the good old Model 94 (I switched to .30-30 when I got to the rifle hunting states of NC, KS and TX).

9. avatarMontesa_VR says:

I think a top ten deer rifle list that doesn’t include the Remington model 8 or 81 is a fraud.

• avatarDon says:

I own a model 81 in .30 Rem and would definitely agree. My great-grandfather purchased it new in 1923 and it still goes out with me to the deer woods every november. Everyone looks at me crazy when they are all carrying their bolt action ultra magnum that seems to be the current craze. But for years to come I’ll still be using that and a Winchester model 12 for years to come.

10. avatarDon says:

In PA anything lever action 30-30 is the long standing cultural deer rifle of choice.

-D

11. avatarGS650G says:

I would put Mausers on the list at 4 or 5, I know many who hunt with the 8mm and swear by it./

• avatarRalph says:

There are a lot of sporterized K98ks out there, and for sure they’ve taken herds of Bambis.

12. avatarJohnny says:

Where’s the .50 BMG for Elk?

13. avatarCharlie says:

What, no ar15s? Why isn’t the collective gun industry trying to crucify Mr. Block like Jim Zumbo?

14. avatarJarhead1982 says:

What, no .270, .35 Remington, .348 Win, 38-44 win, .32 special, .257 Roberts, 7mm-08, .308, .300 Savage, .45-70……….??????

15. avatarJarhead1982 says:

Favorite for big game, lever action Browing 81 BLR .358 Winchester, loaded with 250 grain capable of taking deer (knocks em down really quick) sized animals to large Black Bears with ease and reasonable recoil (the grandson of the .348) and accurate at 300-400 yards, prefer 200 grain rounds for extended range (Elk).

16. avatarjason says:

The 70 and the 700 should defiantly switch positions.

17. avatarJim says:

How about replacing the high dollar collectibles with better real world choices? I’d love to own a couple of them old Winchesters but no way would I chance bouncing one off a rock or scraping them on a tree. No matter how careful you are we all no these things happen. I have an old Savage 340 bolt action in .30-30…paid 100 bucks used. Its pretty much ass ugly but it shoots like a frickin laser. And scratches only improve on its looks.

18. avatarArchie D. says:

Miss RI is very sweet and too nice for you guys to disrespect. 30-30 lever marlin is all you need in the deer woods. Open long distance, I use the 30-06 in Rem model four.