Remington Settles 700 Trigger Suit

We’ve reported in the past on the claims made by various parties that Remington 700 rifles that use the Walker fire control system have been known to fire without so much as a finger on the trigger. Well, one of the allegedly injured parties, Joel Lovell, hired the Houston class action factory otherwise known as the Lanier Law Firm. And the distinguished barristers issued a press release via PR Newswire and marketwatch.com peacocking the fact that they’ve managed to extract an undisclosed financial settlement from the Freedom Group company. The question is, will this be an isolated drip or the beginning of a deluge. Press release after the jump . . .

HOUSTON, June 14, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ — A Texas man who suffered significant injuries in 2009 after being shot in the foot when his rifle unexpectedly fired has reached a financial settlement with Madison, N.C.-based gun manufacturer Remington Arms Company LLC.

Erath County resident Joel Lovell was represented by noted Houston attorneys Mark Lanier and Patrick O’Hara from The Lanier Law Firm in his claims that his Remington Model 700 rifle fired without the trigger being pulled. The lawsuit, Joel Lovell v. Remington Arms Company LLC et al., was filed late last year in Madison County district court.

The lawsuit asserted that Remington Model 700 rifles include a dangerous and defective Walker Fire Control System that can cause the weapons to fire without a trigger pull. According to the claims, the Model 700 can fire upon release of the safety, when the main bolt is moved, or when the gun is jarred or bumped.

In the legal filing, Mr. Lovell noted that although Remington Arms uses a safer alternate trigger mechanism in some of its rifles, the company continues to include the Walker Fire Control design in many of its products.

It is estimated that more than 5 million U.S. residents own Remington Model 700 rifles with the defective Walker Fire Control System. Multiple deaths and hundreds of serious injuries have been linked to the dangerous weapons.

“This company apparently has decided to play Russian roulette with its customers by doing nothing and hoping that more misfires won’t happen,” says Mr. Lanier. “Despite thousands of consumer complaints, numerous lawsuits, and national media attention on the defective design, Remington refuses to replace the defective system in many of its guns.”

With offices in Houston, Los Angeles, New York, and Palo Alto, The Lanier Law Firm is committed to addressing client concerns with effective and innovative solutions in courtrooms across the country. The firm is composed of outstanding trial attorneys with decades of experience handling cases involving pharmaceutical liability, asbestos exposure, intellectual property, business litigation, product liability, maritime law, bad faith insurance claims, and sports and entertainment law. Visit http://www.lanierlawfirm.com .

For more information on Remington rifle litigation, please contact J.D. Cargill at 713-659-5200.

SOURCE The Lanier Law Firm

Copyright (C) 2012 PR Newswire. All rights reserved

39 Responses to Remington Settles 700 Trigger Suit

1. avatarMatt in FL says:

The stupid thing is, Remington could have given the guy cab fare, and the statement would not be factually untrue.

2. avatarRalph says:

This isn’t the first suit Remmy has settled, and it won’t be the last. Remmy also got clocked for $10 million in a case it couldn’t settle.

The fire control system at issue is also used in the 870. Remmy has changed the fire control system and offered owners the opportunity to have their lockbolt mechanisms fixed — and get a check from Remington for $20 just for getting the gun fixed.

Reminton considered recalling all rifles and shotguns with the Walker system as early as the 1970s, but decided against it. There’s a mountain of evidence out there that the fire control system is, in fact, defective. Of course, not every 870 or 700 is going to discharge accidentally, but some of them will, and there are enough wounded and dead people out there to give Remmy a headache for many years to come.

3. avatarGS650G says:

I keep my 700 in good repair and inspect the mechanism once a year. I don’t see a problem with the action or it’s design. I’m either lucky or responsible, take your pick.

The injured and dead would be just fine today if the 4 rules were followed, and in each case a round was left in the chamber, the barrel was pointed in an unsafe direction, and someone handled the gun.

• avatarJeff O. says:

Yup. I’m with you on that.

My 700 has never had a problem and it’s the right manufacture to be one of those “magic” weapons that fires itself.

It’s amazing how safe on can be with just the safety between your can ears work, even if mechanical safeties fail or the weapon in question has none.

• avatarTucson_Jim says:

I never, ever, even use safeties… the mere presence and name of, “safety” implies that the device does the job for you…

But, as an engineer who can’t get some of my friends to wear their seatbelts… some logic simply defies data.

• avatarDyspeptic Gunsmith says:

The Rem700 trigger (aka “Walker Fire Control Group”) has had known problems at light (< 3 lbs) weights for years.

If someone wants to run a light trigger weight in a Rem700 or similar rifle, they're best served by getting a trigger designed for the light weights, not backing out the trigger weight screw on a Rem700 trigger group to the point where the connector can float off the trigger.

4. avatarHOG611 says:

I don’t believe the 870 and the 700 share the same trigger group!!!
    The 700 Trigger is user adjustable and that is where the problem lies. People tinker with them and then loan sale or trade the gun to an unsuspecting sole and then that person has a mishap and blames it on the gun. Stupid is as Stupid does.
    I can take every 700 made and make it fire when you flip the safety and it would take a little more work but, I can say the same about the 870 also.
    Please give me a break !!!! Some people don’t even need a cap Pistol !!!!!

• avatarRalph says:

Remmy has paid out at least $20 million in injury and death claims because of the Walker system. That’s not chump change or nuisance settlements. They have a problem with the guns and they’ve known it for over thirty years.

• avatarM&P 9 L says:

@Hog The adjustable one Remmy supplies now is the X-Mark Pro trigger, designed as a safer, user-adjustable alternative to the Walker trigger

• avatarRWW says:

I believe Ralph meant the 770 (old 710) which still uses this trigger.
      He also stated that you can have the older model fixed by remington and they will send you a $20 check. It’s the other way around, you have to send them a $20 check.

• avatarbill says:

I am ex-military, and have seen the problem first hand. I find what Rem. is doing very disturbing. When the story first broke I email them, and there talking head email me back with there position, which I found to be dishonest. I emailed them again and politely told them they were scum, and that would not be using any of there products to include ammo. I got another email back from them which surprised me, it was apologetic, but once I make up my mine about someones integrity I am done. NO GUNS, NO AMMO REMMY

5. avatarRokurota says:

“Multiple deaths and hundreds of serious injuries have been linked to the dangerous weapons.” Now THAT is a true statement. Just ask any number of jihadists or hijackers.

6. avatarMike says:

From what I understand the problem happens when a non-qualified person attempts to alter the trigger system.

7. avatarCVAN 68 says:

Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

8. avatarDrew says:

I own a 1970′s model 700 30-06, This gun requires me to take safety off in order to release bolt to empty the gun. Two years ago I took gun off safe to shoot at a deer and the gun went bang when I released safety with no finger near trigger. I took my gun to gander mountain as they are an authorized Remington gun smith. They told me they put in a new assembly and I would not have this issue again. Tonight I was hunting with my 16 year old nephew and he was going to unload the gun. I reminded him to keep gun pointed in a safe direction. He took off safety in order to get last shell out of gun and once again gun went bang. I have been a remington owner for 25 years with numerous shotguns and Rifles. Remington was my favorite gun maker. keyword WAS. I am one very ticked off long time remington loyalist.

9. avatarMike says:

Just wanted the stats on how many people have been hurt or killed by the remington 700 rifle safety problem?

10. Who builds a trigger that anybody can back off to the point that when you disengage the safety, the gun fires. Jeeeez.?

11. avatarEagle1USAF says:

The best way to solve the Remy 700 trigger problem is to buy a Savage. :)

But seriously, unload the damn guns after use and don’t point at things you don’t intend to destroy!!! Don’t leave a round in the chamber and then pack the rifle up, pointing it at your damn kid! Family Range day isn’t child’s play and must be treated that way. In all honesty, Remington shouldn’t be blamed, dumb people who handle guns should!

12. avatarJim LaDue says:

A gun shouldnt fire unless the trigger is pulled. Yes people should keep in pointed in a safe direction but that does not relieve Remington of this problem of theirs, which is not limited to those who modded their triggers. People on this forum are basically making the same argument that the ground beef industry made when it was learned that their product had toxic strains of e-coli. They said that it is ok to eat poop as long as you cook it well enough to kill the e-coli. Obviously there still should be rule about food safety just because high temps kill pathogens just like guns should not go bang unless you pull the trigger even though nobody gets hurt if it is pointed at the ground. You defenders of the 700 are about as dumb as a bag of dicks. just because your rifle is ok doesnt mean the company clearly put profits over the safety of its customers.

13. avatarJim LaDue says:

A gun shouldnt fire unless the trigger is pulled. Yes people should keep in pointed in a safe direction but that does not relieve Remington of this problem of theirs, which is not limited to those who modded their triggers. People on this forum are basically making the same argument that the ground beef industry made when it was learned that their product had toxic strains of e-coli. They said that it is ok to eat poop as long as you cook it well enough to kill the e-coli. Obviously there still should be rule about food safety just because high temps kill pathogens just like guns should not go bang unless you pull the trigger even though nobody gets hurt if it is pointed at the ground. You defenders of the 700 are about as dumb as a box of rocks. Just because your rifle is ok doesnt mean the company did not put profits over the safety of its customers.

• avatarTucson_Jim says:

So, this dumb box of rocks engineer would like to remind you that the Remington 700 series rifle is the single-most utilized plaftorm for building up precision match, target, and sniper rifles. Even the custom manufactured actions, bolts and triggers are predominately improved, more precise/expensive/lightened/aesthetic copies of the originals.

The US military has used this design since the Viet Nam war as their precision platform… and, therefore must have sufficient experience and faith in the platform to believe that when the outcome of a battle may depend on the surgical excisement of high-value targets, the rifle will work as expected. Snipers spend many hours on shooting ranges sharpening their skills as they work their way through thousands of rounds of ammunition using rifles that are as old as their operators.

The Remington 700, in most versions, either has a magazine dump door on the bottom, or a removable magazine. The most popular version which does not, is the ADL. The action is quiet enough that one or two rounds can be loaded into the magazine, and the bolt actuated to put one into battery in most hunting scenarios.

The accidental discharge of a firearm into an unintended target is just the inexcuseable action of a careless and unredeemable idiot. And your defense of unredeemable idiots is a reflection more on you, than of the boxes of rocks…

14. avatarRichard French says:

I have had a Remington 700 for several years and loved it. Last week I went to the range and it went off two times without pulling the trigger. After testing it at home I found it would go off when the safety was off ever time I closed the bolt. It will also go off if the bolt is closed and you move safety to fire position. And before any one ask, no I have not fooled with the trigger.

• avatarMatt in FL says:

I suggest you visit a gunsmith. Maybe you’ve got some crud in the action.

• avatardean galvan says:

I just bought a 770 30-06. First shot was fine. Next shot wouldnt fire started moving wiggling safety and gun went off. Dont likd this at all. Someone said switch bullets from remington to hornady dont think that would help at all. So is there a different safety system put in

• avatarMatt in FL says:

If it’s a brand new gun, I’d take it back. If it was a private sale, I’d take it to a gunsmith.

15. avatarlarry says:

I wonder if the problem is across the board with both steel and stainless models.
    I guess it should be as the bolt and trigger are the same. I have a 700 stainless and have had no issues with it. Bought it in 1986.
    No where on the Remington website is there any mention of a rework or recall or serial number range.
    After reading all the threads on forums and other sites so many people cant be doing it wrong.

16. Pingback: BREAKING: Remington Recalls Model 700 and Model Seven Rifles for Trigger Trouble | Patriot Powered News

17. avatarKJD says:

I own two Remington model 700 rifles. A1983 700BDL/.270 Winchester cal. blue steel and a 2006 700LSS .270WSM cal. I have killed several deer with each using Remington , Winchester , Hornady, Federal ammunition . I only clean my rifle after checking the scopes before deer season and then after deer season. Kill no more than 3 to 6 deer per season. I have never had a problem with either rifle . The BDL has to be off safe to bolt. The LSS will bolt on safe. Several of my club members also own 700′s. No issues what so ever. I do not doubt anyone has had problems with uncontrolled firings. Anything man made and mechanical can and will malfunction. The “new” Remington trigger is being recalled by the way.

18. avatarJD says:

I have always been a Remington fan. Love the 700 action. I own several. But I have seen a misfire happen TWICE in my life time. Both times (thankfully) the gun was pointing in a safe direction. Once when the bolt was being closed chambering the first round, and once when the safety was being engaged to “fire” mode. Neither time was there a finger near the trigger. If Remington even suspects there is an issue they should bite the bullet and perform a full recall of any gun in question, regardless of how long ago it was manufactured. Yes, gun safety is key to preventing an accident in a controlled situation. But…accidents do happen. Case in point, I was on a hunting trip last fall in the high country of Wyoming. There was about a foot of snow on the ground. I was heading down a steep slope with my 700 on my shoulder, when I unknowingly stepped on a slippery log under the snow. I ended up landing hard on my back in the blink of an eye. Luckily no misfire, but it could have been bad for the guy behind me if it had.

19. Pingback: Remington Recalls Model 700 and Model Seven Rifles

20. avatarTom Minerick says:

I was just reading about deaths from accidental discharge (remington 700) and had the same experience with m new Sako model 85. I own three of them, all purchased new and one would discharge when closing the bolt or moving the safety. As a firearms safety instructor I immediately contacted Sako Beretta USA and sent it to their CA authorized service center. I fully expected to see a recall. Their center repaired it saying it was a loose screw. In my opinion when a loose screw does this it’s a defect and should be fixed, I have not used any of the three rifles since.

21. avatarVince says:

I unfortunately had a misfire occur back in 2010. I own a model 770 300 Winchester mag rifle with the walker trigger in it. I own SEVERAL pistols and rifles and have never experienced ANY misfires. So needless to say it was not mishandling the gun. I simply turned the safety off with my right thumb and BOOM! Eight stitches in my forehead and nose. Fingers were behind the trigger on the stock. No where close to trigger. So for those who say it can’t happen, all I can say is don’t point that rifle in any direction you wouldn’t fire a round in.

22. avatarJohn Handcock says:

Too funny. Or sad actually.

Now that the big green has come clean it is is interesting to read about all the apologists who thought remmy could walk on water.

It is quite clear that the trigger group is faulty and not only was known to be bad, but continued to be bad for years.

Remmy was trying to cover up possibly the world’s largest gun defect, while hiding behind muzzle safety rules, and those who would still defend remington if it was sold china.

Everyone reading this knows someone who has had an unintentional discharge from a faulty rem 700. Everyone! That’s a significant portion of the gun community. We are so much better than this. Remington must pay for their transgressions.

23. avatarCarl Allen says:

Over the last 50 years of shooting I have had 3 rifles shoot unintentionally. Because I was trained not to allow a rifle to point at anyone no one was hurt. There were hurt feelings some property damage No lost limbs or fatalities. One of the issues was with a Ruger. There was enough play between the top of the bolt and the action that the bolt raised up off of the trigger assy. The fix was to sleave the rear of the bolt. The other two were Remington 700s made decades before the Rifles in the Recall. One was snow and ice had frozen the trigger to the rear position when I had tried to fire with the safety on. Later back at camp when I went to unload the rifle it fired when I turned off the safety lever. The other was also a Remington 700 that fired as I closed the bolt. That rifle was made in 1963 The accidental shot happened in 1989 The rifle was clean and had no grease or rust in the trigger group. I was unable to duplicate the failure. I changed to a bench rest trigger without the “safety lever” and due to the use of safety procedures have never had a issue with this as a target rifle. I would install a firing pin safety on it if I was a hunting rifle. However One should note that releasing the lever could still fire the rifle if the trigger is not under the sear. I would suggest simple solution of making the trigger lever with more clearance one the sides to prevent a bond between the lever and the sideplate of the assy. A redesign of trigger group should include a trigger spring like the one used on the AR rifles Eliminating the weight adjustment screw feature altogether.

24. avatarRob says:

I have only seen an M-700 trigger fail once in many, many years. It happened to a guy I knew who had ”adjusted” the trigger on his Rem. M-700. He was NOT a QUALIFIED GUNSMITH!! He had set the trigger so light that the rifle would discharge when he closed the bolt with a live round in the chamber.

I completely, repeat, completely, agree with what Tucson_Jim wrote on 04.05.2014. I can’t add anything else to what he wrote. Proper gun handling saves lives, and I don’t give a DAMN what firearm a person is using. I almost added ”Period!” but that’s kinda been overdone of late.