Quote of the Day: Armpit of the Nation Edition

“Evidently, the Attorney General’s office still doesn’t realize that New Jersey is part of the United States, not a police state. Constitutional rights do not evaporate when someone leaves the doorstep of his or her home, and that includes the right to bear arms. One doesn’t ‘need’ to justify the exercise of a civil right, which was made perfectly clear by the court in a very similar case in Maryland earlier this year. The Garden State attorney general doesn’t understand that simple principle now, but he will.” – Second Amendment Foundation’s Alan Gottlieb

comments

1. avatar Ruun says:

Almost didn’t recognize him without his customary bow tie on.

2. avatar Mr Pierogie says:

So it’s the SAF, not the NRA who actually has the balls to fight for 2A rights here in NJ. Thanks SAF, I’ll be sure to make a donation. I do NOT plan on renewing my NRA membership any time soon.

1. avatar stateisevil says:

The NRA does aggravate me also, but I think they might have a different plan. They want national reciprocity to force the few gun-fascist states to comply. Once NJ has to recognize everyone’s permit, the resistance to other internal restrictions will slowly melt. If not legislatively, then by the courts. Courts are reluctant to make big waves against the other branches (e.g., SCOTUS and Obamacare). However, when every other state allows the carrying of hollow point bullets, the first conviction of a reciprocal license holder that’s challenged in NJ will likely be thrown out. The first license holder carrying 16 instead of 15 rounds could even have their conviction thrown out, etc.

2. avatar Rydak says:

Yes, NRA is focused on the National scene, to not support them over things like this, or even some other issue is to hurt us all. Like em or not, they are the big boy on the block and they are helping to make things happen. Anyone keeping up with F&F should be well aware of that.

As for this issue…ALAN is the man, an a great job he has been doing on this and many other state and local issues. They have been rocking several towns and states and have had so many great successes lately.

1. avatar Mr Pierogie says:

I don’t know….Yes, the national reciprocity would be great, but the cynic in me says it won’t pass. So aside from that, why should I give them my money when they actually admitted to me that they’re not getting involved in NJ? Gun owners in this state could use their help, but the NRA chooses to stay away. Well, in that case, I choose to support the SAF and not the NRA.

1. avatar Rydak says:

Well, I respect your opinion. I will offer this, there is no way that SAF or any other org, besides NRA who can operate on a national basis with as much force and power as they have….the recp thing is just one issue.

Truth is that even if the NRA were to fold and the SAF took over and was twice as large as the NRA…you are only kidding yourself if you think they will not make some decisions that will piss you off. No org can make all their members happy all the time. And sometimes, just compromising on a loosing battle, which is what the NRA did in that move, can make everyone unhappy. Like I said, I respect you opinion, but I’ll offer mine in return, and it is this….anyone who is a firearms fan and does not support the NRA is a free loader . Because if not for them…..good decisions and bad ones….the second amendment would be like Mexico’s second amendment (They have one too didnt ya know?, just dont mean anything now)

3. avatar GS650G says:

A resident of the state needs to take a violation to the SCOTUS since that is the only way this is going to end. While unreliable on property rights, reverse discrimination and Congress limits on taxes they are still able to defend the 2A.

4. avatar Aharon says:

Go Alan!

5. avatar إبليس says:

New Jersey is a state? Dante said it was the 9th layer of Hell.

1. avatar Mr Pierogie says:

No no no, you’ve got it all wrong. It’s not just A layer of hell, but according to Futurama, it IS hell 🙂

1. avatar إبليس says:

Somebody needs to challenge Robodevil (er, Christie) to a fiddle contest.

6. avatar Sanchanim says:

Now that Stockton has gone bankrupt I wonder how long it will take for northern CA at least to surpass New Jersey.

7. avatar jwm says:

on the issue of the nra. no they ain’t perfect. but i’m old enough to remember the 68 gca which had us signing for every box of shells, among other restrictions. it was also a time when shall issue was virtually unheard of. these issues and many others were dealt with primarily with support and action from the nra and republican politicians. in my own experience gun control laws are 95 per cent put up by democrats. living in california since 87 has given me lots of bitter experience of living under predominately deomcrat rule. as i’ve said before the nra and republicans are far from perfect, but we’re better off with them than without.

1. avatar Boris says:

Unlike Obama, Romney actually imposed gun control as governor. The NRA rolled over on assault guns under Clinton just to protect their precious skeet guns. Dont think for a minute that Canadian style gun control isnt a year or two away no matter who wins.

1. avatar Rydak says:

Na, I think Romney knows that if he wins, it will be conservative gun owners to thank in large part for his victory. If he wants a second term, hell behave. Besides, everyone has a right to make mistakes, and he’s made some. The fact that he came to the NRA convention at all, speaks volumes. His ideology is what I admire, smaller government, less taxes, more on personal freedoms and responsibility and capitalism.

Yea, he tried the gun control thing, when everyone was doing it, he tried the Healthcare thing, when everyone was doing it. It’s like blaming a guy for wearing bell bottoms in the 70s…. just not always good to go there.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Very astute.

The presidential choices are Romney and Obama. That’s it. You can vote for someone else, but they have no chance of winning the election. Only Romney went to an NRA convention.

I’m a California voter who votes pro-gun, pro-freedom, and anti-tax. My vote doesn’t matter much, because I will be overwhelmed by the liberal majority here. Not so in the other states, particularly the swing states.

If you want more taxes, the choice for president is pretty simple – SCOTUS correctly identified the healthcare apparatus as a tax – actually 21 new taxes, if the headlines are correct. That my friends, is a lot of taxes! A tax which the main proponents of the program have opted out of, which speaks volumes for the thinking man.

If you want less taxes, more freedom, more 2A protection, and a smaller, leaner government, than the choice for president is also pretty obvious.

8. avatar jwm says:

and as i keep saying, it’s not just about obama or romney. the man in the oval office gives leverage to their party. and by far the worst party for anti gun ideas is the party of schumer, boxer , pelosi et al. and as far as gun rights go things have gotten better except for isolated pockets such as california, illinois and a couple more4. the common thread with these places is democratic control. even mass. had romney for governor but the state house was predominately democrat.

9. avatar bontai Joe says:

Thank God that SOF is willing to take on The People’s Demokratik Republik of New Jersey’s Stalinist laws. More power to them. We are talking about a state where the mere possession of a slingshot is a serious crime. I’m not kidding! A slingshot!!!