Obscure Object of Desire: Relief Carved Walnut Gunstock

Memorial Day weekend is a special time in Kerrville, Texas. Hordes of artisans descend on my parent’s small town. Among the kitsch and pottery, I found some hand-engraved gunstocks for a Remington 700 and 870 that I don’t own. Now I’ve never really had a thing for “artsy” gun items, but having a one of a kind engraving job done is pretty cool stuff in an heirloom sort of way. Send these folks a wood gun stock and somewhere in the neighborhood of $1100 and you can have something a little more, uh, interesting engraved on your butt. [Contact via etsy.com.]

comments

1. avatar spymyeyes says:

This is one of the best aspects of gun ownership IMO.

You, nobody else, YOU get to choose how you want to “trick-out” your weapons.

Since I love to make furniture, I would think nothing of plunking down 1K for a quality made oak, maple, mahogany, or other exotic hardwood, stock with a one of a kind engraving by an artist of this caliber.

Even if the engravings are stock or templated if they are done by hand they will all be just a little bit different and when you are talking about that kind of money customers have a BIGTIME say into what will be engraved.

If I ever have that kind of money to blow on a stock I will send you guys a picture!

An $1100 stock on a $400 shotgun? You gotta be kidding me.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Consider a custom rifle built on a war suplus Mauser 98 action. You can get a Mauser 98 action in good shape for… oh, $200.

Put a $1200 stock blank on it, inlet & carve the stock from said blank (which looks like a really thick plank), then polish the action & bottom metal, shape the trigger bow, jewel the bolt, engrave the magazine bottom plate, put on a custom barrel, etc, etc etc… and in a few months, you have a rifle that sells for north of $5K to $8K.

From a war-surplus action that cost you $200. Maybe the whole surplus rifle cost you $250.

3. avatar Sanchanim says:

Really pretty work. The cost is high but look at it from an art stand point not a gun stand point.

4. avatar Wade says:

Tyler, if you’re impressed by that, you would be blown away at some of the stuff at the Dallas Safari Club conventions. One stock maker had a M1D Garand sitting in a fully engraved Mesquite burl stock. I can’t even remember the number of zeros on the tag…..

5. avatar LeftShooter says:

Tyler,

Are you telling us that you’ve got “wood” over these stocks, so to speak?

My advice before spending so much $ on the least functional part of a (much cheaper gun–to Ralph’s point), take a cold shower and then dab some Hoppes #9 behind your ears. The feeling should pass.

Or, save the $ not buying a carved stock and put it towards a better optic.

take a cold shower and then dab some Hoppes #9 behind your ears

Sounds like me, getting ready for a date.

1. avatar bontai Joe says:

Ralph, sounds like me too. And as to plunking down rightious cash for an engraved wooden stock? I love quality wood on rifles. I know that a lot of folks here tend to embrace the black rifles with plastic handles and I totally understand the thinking behind that. I own a couple of ’em myself, but the beauty of a rifle with a nice piece of highly figured walnut carefully fitted is a joy to my eyes. YMMV